Compatability - Scan my mod list.

NewoNZ

I have just recently purchased the pc version of Skyrim after owning it from the beginning of time on the ps3 and decided that I'll take full advantage of being able to mod the absolute crap out of it.

I've done a fair amount of research and come up with a list that best represents how I would like the game to feel with a bit of tweeking and such. I've got all of the graphical stuff sorted, Game seems to run fine so far but before I go ahead and start adding in all of the mods that change gameplay and add content I thought I'd see if some experienced mod users can spot any instant conflicts that I may have missed.

Also any advice on load order is appreciated as well.

Please don't think that I'm just dumping a list on the forums and expecting everybody to tell me exactly which ones will and wont work and tell me how to install and load them all. I have all intentions of continuing to work through this myself, I just thought that some of you may be able to instantly see problems from your own experiences and might be able to save me a few minor headaches.

The list is as follows:

Current mods and load order

• Dragonborn
  • HearthFires
  • Dawnguard
  • Unofficial Legendary Patch
  • Climates Of Tamriel
  • HighResTexturePack01
  • HighResTexturePack02
  • HighResTexturePack03
  • SMIM (Static Mesh Improvement)
  • Verdant
  • Climates Of Tamriel Dawnguard Patch
  • Climates Of Tamriel Dragonborn Patch
  • Enhanced Lights and FX
  • AMB Glass Variants Lore (I think this might be part of aMidianborn?)
  • Differently Ebony (Also part of aMidianborn?)
  • aMidianborn Skyforge Weapons
  • aMidianborn Content Addon
  • Project Parallax Remastered (listed as EpisodeParallax.esp)

I also use RealVision ENB full, although i will probably have to drop it to performance to gain some frames back after I finalize my mod list.

So as mentioned above, this list seems to work without any issues so far, though I havn't played it extensively for long periods of time.

Here are the mods I am hoping to all work together: [updated 23/2/16]

• Complete Fast Travel Overhaul
  • Frostfall
  • Campfire - Complete Camping System
  • ImmersiveHUD
  • Important Information Overhaul
  • MoreHUD
  • Grimy Utilities
  • SkyUI5
  • A Quality World Map
  • Atlas Map Markers
  • Player Home Map Markers
  • Fully Colored Map Markers
  • High Quality 3D Map (High Res)
  • High Quality LOD's
  • Skyrim Heart Rate
  • Living Takes Time
  • Death Alternative - Your Money or Your Life
  • Cobb Encumbrance
  • Convenient Horses
  • Mage Backpack
  • Bandolier - Bags and Pouches
  • Sabre Gear Backpacks
  • Realistic Needs and Diseases
  • Trade Routes
  • Better Roads
  • Animated Clutter
  • Animations (Character animations that work with Animated Clutter)
  • Dynamic Things - More interactive Objects
  • Smartcast
  • Wintermyst
  • Forgotten Magic
  • Apocalypse - Magic of Skyrim
  • Grimy Combat Patcher
  • ASIS
  • Revenge Of The Enemies
  • Attack Commitment No Turning
  • Archery Gameplay Overhaul
  • Immersive Amazing Follower Tweaks
  • Organised Bandits of Skyrim
  • Immersive Patrols
  • Immersive Citizens - AI Overhaul
  • Populated Towns, Cities, Villages
  • Populated Roads, Paths
  • Immersive Armours and Weapons
  • Realistic Animals and Predators
  • Fluffy Animals (Will remove if not compatable)
  • Tame the Beast 2
  • Hunting Mod (hunterborn)
  • Immersive Spells and Light
  • Sounds of Skyrim
  • Face to Face Conversation
  • Farmers Sell Produce
  • Mine Foremen Sell Ore
  • No Combat Boundaries
  • Multiple Floors Sandboxing
  • Ultimate HD Fire Effects
  • Deadly Spell Impacts
  • Smoking Torches and Candles
  • HD Noble Furniture (for Hearthfire Extended)
  • Servents Sort Loot
  • Hunting in Skyrim
  • Wearable Lanterns
  • Cloaks of Skyrim
  • Winter is Coming - Cloaks
  • 360 Walk Run Plus (for clipping issues with cloaks)
  • Immersive Weapons (to go with Immersive Armors)
  • Deadly Dragons at Skyrim
  • Ordinator (to replace Perkus Maximus for compatability)
  • Inconsequential NPC's
  • Spouses Can Live Anywhere
  • Bellyaches HD Dragon Replacer
  • Dragon Animation Replacer
  • SkyTweak
  • Achieve That
  • Loot Later
  • Take Notes - Journal of the Dragonborn
  • High Level Enemies
  • Real Shelter
  • Drop Lit Torches
  • Lanterns on Horse Saddles
  • Thieves Guild Requirements
  • The Paarthurnax Dilemma
  • Timing is Everything
  • The Choice is Yours
  • Silent Skyrim
  • SkyRealism - Capacity

Then just a couple of cities and house mods:

• Dawn of Skyrim Collection (to replace JK's Skyrim for compatability with Immersive Citizens)
  • Falskaar
  • Wyrmstooth
  • Functional Homes
  • Helgen Reborn
  • Hearthfire Extended
  • Heljarchen Farm
  • Windstad Mine

Removed Items:

• Immersive Travel - Fast Travel Disabler (Apparently this feature is contained within Frostfall)
  • Equipping Overhaul (Removed because I can't be bothered trying to make it work)
  • Open Cities (Compatability Issues with OBIS and Immersive Patrols)
  • *MAYBE* Perkus Maximus (Replaced with Ordinator for compatability)
  • Skybirds (Removed all bird mods until I have time to research fully)
  • Birds of Skyrim
  • Birds and Flocks
  • Improved Closefaced Helmets
  • JK's Skyrim
  • Realistic Carry Weight (Replaced with Cobb Encumbrance and SkyRealism - Capacity)

================================================================

Phew! So this list may change over time as I confirm compatability, potential performance issues and weigh up needs vs wants.

All thoughts and suggestions are more than welcome.

Edited by NewoNZ

Check out this link, https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/wiki/dangerous_mods_masterlist Skybirds causes save bloat and you shouldn't use it. The guy who maintains that list on reddit and Steam is much smarter than me and gets way more info sent to him so I stick to that list pretty religiously unless I think I can fix the problem it lists for the mod. Also the combat mods. It's a big bummer but it recently came out that the 3 top combat overhauls cause save bloat. Here's a post about what I use as a substitute for my combat setup and also explains what save bloat is (so does the reddit link) http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/3755640-which-is-more-heavy-script-for-this-combat-mods/ My substitute is a little advanced for a brand spanking new beginner, but worth figuring out if you want decent combat and stability. Bonus, nearly script free.

Possible conflict with heart rate and living takes time, but I don't use either. MoreHUD and immersiveHUD will conflict, I believe, one reduces HUD and one adds more. It won't be anything game breaking so test it, maybe you get both changes, at worst one will overwrite the other (the last one in your load order) and you'll only see the changes for one-- if that's the case, pick one. Trade routes and RND won't conflict, with most big mods like that if a patch is needed it'll say so-- RND is extremely popular. Fluffy animals sounds like just a mesh/texture replacer which means it would be compatible with anything except another mesh/texture replacer for the same animals. But do be sure to scroll down in the downloads tab with any mod and check for any patches it might have, and if you really want to make sure you're not missing anything someone's already made a patch for search for the mod by name, someone else may have uploaded a patch for the specific mod combo you have in mind (there are over 45,000 Skyrim mods on the nexus after all).

Everything looks pretty good to me.

You can check for conflicts in TES5Edit though, you really need to learn how to do this for yourself. Load the mods you're concerned about and apply filter for cleaning, then expand them. Any conflicts will show up in red. At that point you can either delete the entry from one mod or you can make a patch (I can help with that and it's not as hard as you probably think-- but you probably don't want to start with that yet if you just bought the game, I get the whole learning curve thing). If you don't know anything about TES5Edit you MUST check out this link and learn at least how to automatically clean. As soon as you start adding mods to the base game without cleaning your masters stuff will start to break. And many mods (especially old mods) also need cleaning for stability.

I have these, so they should not cause any problems:

• Dragonborn
  • HearthFires
  • Dawnguard
  • Unofficial Legendary Patch (I actually still use the separates for each DLC, but same idea...)
  • Climates Of Tamriel
  • HighResTexturePack01
  • HighResTexturePack02
  • HighResTexturePack03
  • SMIM (Static Mesh Improvement)
  • Verdant
  • Climates Of Tamriel Dawnguard Patch
  • Climates Of Tamriel Dragonborn Patch
  • Enhanced Lights and FX
  • AMB Glass Variants Lore (I think this might be part of aMidianborn?)
  • Differently Ebony (Also part of aMidianborn?)
  • aMidianborn Skyforge Weapons
  • aMidianborn Content Addon
  • Project Parallax Remastered (listed as EpisodeParallax.esp)

• Immersive Travel - Fast Travel Disabler
  • Complete Fast Travel Overhaul
  • Frostfall - indispensible. Get the Campfires one as well
  • ImmersiveHUD - indispensible
  • Important Information Overhaul
  • MoreHUD (what does this do, seeing as iHUD reduced the HUD clutter?)
  • Grimy Utilities
  • SkyUI5 - indispensible
  • Quality World Map (I have All Roads, Clear Skies with hi res textures from High Quality 3D Map by Ethatron, but I would also recommend World Map Min_Max Height Pitch Tweak by Allana as it fixes the daft change one of the official patches made so you can no longer change map zoom settings by editing the ini files. with Alana's tweak, you can see the whole map and zoom in on Solitude etc again)
  • Skyrim Heart Rate
  • Living Takes Time
  • Death Alternative - Your Money or Your Life
  • Realistic Carry Weight
  • Realistic Needs and Diseases - indispensible but no longer supported. There are others, like iNeed, which are compatible wth USLEEP if this matters to you)
  • Equipping Overhaul
  • Open Cities
  • Trade Routes (Compatability with Realistic Needs and Diseases? food prices?)
  • Better Roads (what does this do, seeing as Quality World Map seems to already do this?)
  • Animated Clutter
  • Animations (Character animations that work with Animated Clutter)
  • Smartcast
  • Wintermyst
  • Forgotten Magic
  • Apocalypse - Magic of Skyrim
  • Combat Evolved
  • Ultimate Combat
  • Combat Drama Overhaul
  • Archery Gameplay Overhaul
  • Ultimate Follower Overhaul - indispensible. I still have the last original version by fLokii, although there is a team trying to update it. Do not install with a Mod Manager, follow the instructions carefully)
  • Organised Bandits of Skyrim
  • Immersive Patrols (I tried some of these but they turned the wilderness into Piccadilly Circus, so had to go, but you might like coming across patrols every few minutes everywhere you go)
  • Immersive Citizens - AI Overhaul
  • Populated Towns, Cities, Villages
  • Populated Roads, Paths
  • Immersive Armours and Weapons
  • Skybirds (Some people claim that these mods are "dangerous". LOL! What? )
  • Birds of Skyrim (They electrify your keyboard? I have used them forever...)
  • Birds and Flocks (...the versions I have cause me no problems at all. No Bloat.)
  • Realistic Animals and Predators - indispensible. There are some people slagging SkyTEST off because the author would not make it compatible with NMM, but there is absolutely nothing whatever wrong with the mod and I never use Mod Managers anyway - I prefer to actually know what I am doing. SkyTEST does not even have any scripts, but it does add Spawn Points, so be careful with other mods which add Spawn Points)
  • Fluffy Animals (Will remove if not compatable) No idea
  • Tame the Beast 2
  • Hunting Mod (hunterborn)
  • Immersive Spells and Light
  • Sounds of Skyrim (I only use The Wilds and The Dungeons. I never liked The Cities and some of the sound set remind me of Baldur's Gate and other non-TES games)

Then just a couple of cities and house mods:

• JK's Skyrim
  • Falskaar
  • Wyrmstooth
  • Functional Homes

Never used these, but make sure they load AFTER USLEEP.

Also, get SKSE and enable the memory tweaks and then use LOOT to sort load order, but be aware that many people have found it glitchy in recent months and it puts some things in the wrong place, particularly Falskaar and Wyrmstooth by all reports.

For more bug fixes, I would also very highly recommend Arthmoor's

Run For Your Lives.esp
When Vampires Attack.esp
The Paarthurnax Dilemma.esp
I'd also recommend:
Bag of Holding.esp
Atlas Map Markers.esp
Atlas Dawnguard.esp
Atlas Blackreach.esp
Atlas Dragonborn.esp

And there are quite a few other mods if you like immersion, realism, survival etc. EG Wet'n'Cold and some others fit very well with Frostfall; Drinking Fountains of Skyrim and a patch for it to work with RND etc. I have about 170 mods atm.

Also, what are your system specs, as that can affect how many and what type of mods you can have?

This is mine - three years old, now:

Asus Maximus IV Extreme-Z
Intel i7 2600K 3.40 GHz overclocked @3.8 GHz
Corsair Hydro H60 High Performance liquid cpu Cooler
8GB Corsair Vengeance PC3 2133MHz DDR3 RAM
AMD Radeon HD 7970 3072MB
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Pro
256GB Samsung 830 SSD
Seagate Barracuda 2 TB SATA, 7200rpm, 6 Gbps
Corsair TX850 Modular High Current PSU
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

~

• Skybirds (Some people claim that these mods are "dangerous". LOL! What? )
  • Birds of Skyrim (They electrify your keyboard? I have used them forever...)
  • Birds and Flocks (...the versions I have cause me no problems at all. No Bloat.)

It's only SkyBirds that's dangerous, but it does cause bloat, check it yourself (however you choose to do that, there are plenty of ways). The issue is with how they spawn (via a buttload of scripts, not new/edited spawn points, which was, we can only assume, done for compatibility), and with your other mods-- if you run a lot of mods with cloak scripts like combat mods, EBT or wet and cold they think the bird actors are real actors and try to attach to them, and over time it piles up a bazillion script instances. Here, fadingsignal has been trying to fix it and has this to say if you want to know more about the nuts and bolts: https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comments/31izhz/mod_authors_help_me_fixpatch_skybirds_details_and/%5D and https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comments/32ev0l/help_me_fix_skybirds_update I like it too, but my saves get PLENTY big enough on their own, so it doesn't work for my playstyle/load order, so I can't recommend it... many people use the mod without ever noticing anything, somehow, especially with a light load order or a character that isn't too high level, but anything that makes your save bigger than it has to be or doesn't properly clean up after itself is not good for long term saves. JSin. You can remove the instances periodically with the save game cleaner and some clever finangling disabling/saving/reenabling it, but for a beginner who's not already in love with the mod I would recommend staying away.

Birds and Flocks really shouldn't be on the list, all it does is overwrite some stuff from hearthfires and need to be cleaned, which to me really shouldn't mean blacklist status, or if it does that list needs to get a WHOLE lot longer. A lot of that list should be taken as a suggestion and can be fixed.... but bloat is pretty serious if you want to start a long term playthrough.

I really appreciate the information you guys have provided me with so far. I'll try to answer a few things and clear things up as well.

As for my computer specs, they are:

Windows 7 64 (Though I'm thinking of doing an upgrade if I can bring myself to accept change)

I5-4460 (Seriously considering upgrading to an i7 as soon as I can afford one, though options are probably limited due to motherboard)

8GB Ram (Though I have purchased another 8, just havn't installed it yet)

Saphire R9 390 8GB

250GB SSD

2TB HDD

MoreHUD just shows detailed information when you look at items, plants, etc instead of having to go into the menu to check and have the item in your inventory. I'm hoping that it wont conflict with Immersive HUD. I watched a video of them both in action so hopefully I can get it to work.

I'll do some more research into the combat mods and revise my decisions. It is a definite must have in some form or another as I'm trying to give myself a new experience rather than remind myself of what I've already done.

Going to add Campfire - Complete Camping System to go with Frostfall

I might consider other map related mods at some stage but in the mean time I'm happy with the current selection and not concerned with the zoom aspect.

Better roads isn't a map mod, its actually considered more of a graphics mod really as it makes the roads ingame look better by adding things like curbs and stuff.

However I will add the Atlas map markers to the mod list.

I'll take a closer look at Skybirds and the other bird mods. They aren't really necessary but just something that I thought would add to the eye candy so if I take them out I won't be too upset.

Bag of holding would conflict with the Realistic Carry Weight mod in the sense that it contradicts through purpose.

I've also decided that I'll probably add Mage Backpack, Bandolier - Bags and Pouches and Sabre Gear Backpack mods to offset what is likely to be a painfully low carrying weight while adding to the realism. The only thing is I wish there were some dissadvantages to wearing packs.

Edited by NewoNZ

It's only SkyBirds that's dangerous, but it does cause bloat

Well, I have heard this but I've never seen it and I've been playing since March 2012 and my first character reached at least 600-odd hours. The only minor issue I have ever had with any of those Bird mods were with certain versions and an update fixed them:

• some NPCs in the wilderness went potty trying to kill all the birds (Necromancers and stuff);
  • occasionally a dead bird would just fall out of the sky at my feet;
  • in certain places (like the toadstool fairy circle) I'd come across dozens of dead birds (Oh No! Free Alchemy reagents! My game is BORKED! NOT!);
  • in Riften, sometimes birds would perch on lamp posts and if I shot at them they were immortal, but all the townsfolk would go potty trying to kill them as well. The NPCs ignored them if I did.

I never had the problem with SOS, either, as I did not pull two perfectly functioning mods and continue with a save just because one particular version of Cities was messed up, which I never used anyway.

And I always play with 7 uGridsToLoad as well, and for many, many months I played with 9. Yet my actual experience is allegedly "irrelevant", as messing with grids is SO, SO "dangerous"! Yet all the "well documented", "hard evidence" people tell me about is no where to be found, despite asking repeatedly for 3 years. They always say it has been provided, but all I see is baseless, anecdotal claptrap and repetition of the same, empty, bald assertions.

I go by my own experience, as should you and the OP, but he can take your advice about that thread on Steam if he wishes. I would never insist any mod should be used. My first character is still perfectly playable and crashes no more often than Vanilla, and I still get Papyrus spam about scripts for a camping mod I tried for a few hours and removed in May, 2012. It just says the fire log can't be found a few hundred times and that's it. It affects nothing, it's just a Papyrus entry.

I only ever got save bloat with one mod, a beta for removing corpses I was play testing; not Arthmoor's Bring out your Dead and not the excellent Bury The Dead by Kentoss - an excellent but slightly rough and abandoned little mod. If only I had the skills to update it and smooth out the minor roughness...

The author of the problem mod was such an ass hat I resolved to never touch his crap again. Every other mod under the Sun was causing his scripts to behave as if they were badly written! There was a loop in one of the scripts that filled the papyrus log with almost GB of text in minutes and bloated the save massively very, very quickly. Several months later, I found he repeated his crimes with a different script, and even blocked the guy who reported it just for reporting it! He sent me a copy of the broken script and the incredibly simple fix, ut he wasn't able to send it to the author as he'd been blocked! And yet, it was never on that Black List.

Anyway, there are zillions of brilliant mods, but some just can't be used together very well as they overload the game engine, especially (in my experience) when there are overlapping, multiple spawn points all across the land, which is the only other sort of mod situation I had trouble with, probably compounded by my 7 uGrids. But rather than change the ini or remove SkyTEST, I just got rid of War Zones and other multi-spawners. Problem fixed. When I have time, I'll look into that thing that came out a while ago that increases LOD and view distance without any of the alleged problems that go with ini tweaks, and supposedly even fixes texture popping.

~

Oh by the way, OP, I'm too tired atm to read everything I've written, but in case I did not mention it:

if you are using USLEEP, be aware that some mods will still rely on the separate Unofficial Patches, such as USKP. The separates are still available but cannot be mixed and matched with USLEEP - it's one or the other. But you can still use older mods by changing the mod dependency yourself using TES5Edit. It's quite simple and there are instructions available as well as a script.

Many mods do not rely on any of the Unofficial Patches at all, but if you have one that relies on USKP, you can change it to rely on USLEEP instead, and it will work. Otherwise, the game will crash probably before the loading screen as a mod is looking for USKP and it's not there.

~

Hey, thanks for those links, that's really interesting. My own scripting abilities are pretty elementary. I can start a quest when you read a book or letter, activate map markers, complete quest stages, add hidden perks to the player and so on. I have huge respect for people who can actually do clever stuff. :D

Sorry for hijacking your thread so much,OP. I must go and sleep now. :turned:

~

Thats fine, its all relevent in one way or another for the most part.

I've also decided to add Convenient Horses to my list and am considering changing Ultimate Followers to Amazing Follower Tweaks. The biggest draw for me to change is the permanent relaxed state that followers are in which will massively increase the immersion. The extra features help a lot too and I'm sure I'm not going to need in excess of 5 followers at one time. It's just a shame the menu for interaction couldn't be as immersive as Ultimate Followers.

Added the the list as well is:

Cobb Encumbrance, to compliment the realistic carry weight

Dynamic Things, to compliment Frostfall as well as making the world more interactive.

Face to Face Conversation

Improved Closefaced Helmets, to compliment Face to Face Conversation.

Farmers Sell Produce

Mine Foremen Sell Ore

No Combat Boundaries, to increase exploration difficulty

Multiple Floors Sandboxing, to compliment which ever follower mod I choose and improve AI immersion

Helgen Reborn - Just some more quest content.

Also, I have cleaned up my master files as well, thanks for that info!

===========================================

I have just discovered Perkus Maximus! I've done a quick scan through my mods for compatability and from what I can tell all the magic mods are fine, havn't checked the combat mods because I havn't finalised my selection yet anyway and the Archery Gameplay Overhaul mod is compatible however it does break one of the perklines in perma because of the way bow draw speed is handled. Theres a good chance I might add this to my list.

Edited by NewoNZ

To each his own, as always in modding :smile: I've had issues with Skybirds since before there even was a dangerous mods masterlist, longer than this ACCOUNT has existed, and I thought it was my fault or my mod list the whole time- I felt so validated when Nazenn started maintaining the reddit page lol. When you first start modding you expect problems to be related to "big" mods, you don't know where to look, you don't know squat about logs or saves or script instances..... It took a lot of time and tears to figure it out, but it's not an evil mod or anything, most aren't. It all depends on how you use them and combine them and mods add on to one another, like you mentioned (even Skybirds COULD be used safely but you'd have to be really on top of your save game cleaner, methinks). I just posted about that somewhere, it's worth a read..... Ah, here. http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/3751230-building-a-new-pc-id-like-input-on-buying-for-a-mod-heavy-skyrim-experience/ Simple example of how mixing mods can exponentially increase the workload to your system and QUICK if you're not thinking of how they interact.

I recently switched from AFT to EFF, which allows a bit quicker and easier combat style management and just seems a bit more polished, but I used AFT for.... Psht, forever, before that. If you're interested, this mod makes the menu a bit more immersive http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/71689/? it replaces AFT but is essentially the same mod. You should be careful with the number of background/polling/cloak scripts you're starting to pile up (wet and cold, frostfall, convenient horses, RND, immersive spells, footprints, etc.), but of course test it for yourself and if it works screw what anyone says, just be aware of how your mods work "under the hood" if you want that many constantly updating things running. Here's a link about different kinds of scripts and why I say that https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comments/3yvez8/about_script_heaviness_also_a_dangerous_mods_list/. Convenient horses is a great mod, but I don't use it anymore as my (mediocre) system couldn't handle it in combination with some other mods I like more and even with CH I didn't find myself using horses enough to justify its cost. But you're also running a much better machine than me. Cobb encumbrance is great, a huge improvement on the old scripting nightmare that was Skyrim Encumbrance, it only polls when your inventory changes/opens/closes so I'd call it safe, I use it.

Perma is great too but requires a lot of help to be made compatible. If you want to use it you might consider checking out Patchus Maximus, which is a skyproc patcher to make it compatible, you can avoid having a billion handmade patches that way. Skyproc patchers are Java programs that automatically generate a patch for you based on your load order. They can be finicky but I'm totally addicted to them, I use 10 which is pretty ridiculous considering I don't use SkyRe, Requiem or Perma (the most popular Skyproc patchers out there patch for these mods).

On a side note, face to face conversation is like my favorite thing in the whole damn world. SUCH an underrated mod. I use it with Dynavision whether I'm using an ENB or not, Dyna has a separate setting for in dialogue and the combination is a really cool effect, makes the characters pop and makes a pretty NPC overhaul worth its trouble for once.