bug with game voices not working, but all other sound does?

Ok I have a problem with fallout 3 ONLY, I have oblivion and also new vegas and both games work fine with the sound, I recently started playing fallout 3 again and there is no sound when I talk to NPCs, their voice doesnt work, when they walk past they speak (subtitles appear) but no sound and their mouth moves and in combat they dont shout at you but their mouths move and subtitles appear.

I thought it might be a mod, so have started a new game and still it doesnt work, even at the beginning when 'dad' talks there is nothing. I have checked and I DO NOT have the voices in the sound part of the options set to 0, its maxed out so it should be working.

Ive tried with no mods, a new game start and even installing to a new location on my PC and still the sounds are not working. all the music, shooting and whatever else is fine just the voices that are not working and like I say voices work fine in other games.

As another note, Ive installed fallout 3 on my friends PC to see if maybe its an installation / disc error but the voices work on their PC, so it must be something on mine thats causing this.

Ive gone into the 'speaker' settings as well, set everything to maximum but still no change.

Anyone know what else I can do to try and fix this?