Having some miscitem nif problems

duude98

I am having two completely separate problems with two very similar nifs right now. The first, found here for those interested, simply won't show up in game. I don't know why, especially since it looks fine in the CK. The second is all black in game, again looking fine in the ck, and can be found here. I should mention that I did not set these up in 3ds max, I would barely know how to do that. These were done months ago by someone else.

Also, if anyone knew how to make the gold parts shiny and the red/blue parts translucent like a gem, that would also be a huge help.

I had a problem with an 'invisible .nif/object in game' too and my problem turned out to be the 'Alpha' setting under 'BSLightingShaderProperty'. The setting should be '1'. Also, after I changed that, I had an all black model too. There were a number of settings I changed (on the advice of someone else) and that wound up solving the problem. The advice I got was from someone over at Dark Creations, I poted a question about the problems I was having and got some answers. Here is the link; http://www.darkcreations.org/forums/topic/10202-nifskope-help/ and in case that isn't working for some reason, here are all the settings I was told to change;

"I noticed several issues with your nif:

NiTriShapeData:
BS Num UV Sets: is 1 in your nif, should be 4097 for Skyrim

BSLightingShaderProperty:
UV Scale is X and Y= 0 in your nif, should be X and Y = 1
Texture Clamp Mode is CLAMP_S_CLAMP_T in your nif, Skyrim nifs use WRAP_S_WRAP_T
Has no Alpha Property!
Skyrim Shader Type is set to Default in your nif, should be "Environment Map" as such a map is included
The texture paths in your nif are absolute (c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\data\textures\clutter\potions\nightshadeextract.dds), should always start with "textures\..." like this: textures\clutter\potions\nightshadeextract.dds.
(Not everyone has Skyrim installed where you have, I have Steam and Skyrim on drive F: for instance.)
Well, I simply copied the complete BSLightingShaderProperty from the Skooma that you used as base nif and replaced the texture paths. Now everything worked.

Finetuning:
Right click on the NiTriShape - >Mesh - > face normals; then right click again -> update tangent space and you will notice a significant improvement. Another right click and -> smooth normals makes it even better.

And while I was at it, I made a better fitting collision for the bottle."

Now, as far as how to make the gold bits shiny, you'll have to set up an environmental map, and also check the "Glossiness", "Specular Strength", "Lighting Effects 1 and 2", and "Environment Map Scale" under the "BSLightingShaderProperty". You'll jut have to play with the settings until you get the look you want. As far as how to make the red and blue parts translucent, I can't help you there... If you turn the "Alpha setting down a bit, that would start to make them translucent but that probably wouldn't look very good (and the effect would be applied to the whole model) so I'm guessing there is a better way. hope this helps!

I had a problem with an 'invisible .nif/object in game' too and my problem turned out to be the 'Alpha' setting under 'BSLightingShaderProperty'. The setting should be '1'. Also, after I changed that, I had an all black model too. There were a number of settings I changed (on the advice of someone else) and that wound up solving the problem. The advice I got was from someone over at Dark Creations, I poted a question about the problems I was having and got some answers. Here is the link; http://www.darkcreations.org/forums/topic/10202-nifskope-help/ and in case that isn't working for some reason, here are all the settings I was told to change;

"I noticed several issues with your nif:

NiTriShapeData:

BS Num UV Sets: is 1 in your nif, should be 4097 for Skyrim

BSLightingShaderProperty:

UV Scale is X and Y= 0 in your nif, should be X and Y = 1

Texture Clamp Mode is CLAMP_S_CLAMP_T in your nif, Skyrim nifs use WRAP_S_WRAP_T

Has no Alpha Property!

Skyrim Shader Type is set to Default in your nif, should be "Environment Map" as such a map is included

The texture paths in your nif are absolute (c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\skyrim\data\textures\clutter\potions\nightshadeextract.dds), should always start with "textures\..." like this: textures\clutter\potions\nightshadeextract.dds.

(Not everyone has Skyrim installed where you have, I have Steam and Skyrim on drive F: for instance.)

Well, I simply copied the complete BSLightingShaderProperty from the Skooma that you used as base nif and replaced the texture paths. Now everything worked.

Finetuning:

Right click on the NiTriShape - >Mesh - > face normals; then right click again -> update tangent space and you will notice a significant improvement. Another right click and -> smooth normals makes it even better.

And while I was at it, I made a better fitting collision for the bottle."

Now, as far as how to make the gold bits shiny, you'll have to set up an environmental map, and also check the "Glossiness", "Specular Strength", "Lighting Effects 1 and 2", and "Environment Map Scale" under the "BSLightingShaderProperty". You'll jut have to play with the settings until you get the look you want. As far as how to make the red and blue parts translucent, I can't help you there... If you turn the "Alpha setting down a bit, that would start to make them translucent but that probably wouldn't look very good (and the effect would be applied to the whole model) so I'm guessing there is a better way. hope this helps!

Thanks for the response! I tried all that on both the meshes, and all the info checks out. It looks like I have everything set up correctly. What is strange though is that the one that won't show up has the highest thing in the tree as a BSFadeNode instead of a NiNode. I tried re-exporting it from max, but when I tried to load it in the ck, it crashed. Maybe I did something wrong, I will try it again.

The reason the sapphire.nif is black is the normals are facing the wrong way.

In NifSkope Right Click on each of the NiTriShape -> Mesh -> Flip Normals.

Both nif models need to be UV Unwrapped, so textures will show properly on the models.

(Needs to be done in a 3D program eg: Blender)

What are these gems meant to be?

Misc Items eg: pick up an drop them?

If so they aren't set up to right from what I can tell.

To make the red Ruby transparent and have the gold base solid, then Add a NiAlphaProperty to the 2nd field in the ruby NitTriShape BS Properties of the nif.

Best advice would be look at the native Skyrim Gems and follow how they set up the nif for collision and BSX flags.

(That's if your gems are meant to behave like the skyrim gems.)

I could probably set them up using blender and nifskope, but it would help if you posted the textures the nifs will be using.

Edited by sLoPpYdOtBiGhOlE

The reason the sapphire.nif is black is the normals are facing the wrong way.

In NifSkope Right Click on each of the NiTriShape -> Mesh -> Flip Normals.

Both nif models need to be UV Unwrapped, so textures will show properly on the models.

(Needs to be done in a 3D program eg: Blender)

What are these gems meant to be?

Misc Items eg: pick up an drop them?

If so they aren't set up to right from what I can tell.

To make the red Ruby transparent and have the gold base solid, then Add a NiAlphaProperty to the 2nd field in the ruby NitTriShape BS Properties of the nif.

Best advice would be look at the native Skyrim Gems and follow how they set up the nif for collision and BSX flags.

(That's if your gems are meant to behave like the skyrim gems.)

I could probably set them up using blender and nifskope, but it would help if you posted the textures the nifs will be using.

The textures they use are just solid colors right now, and probably won't change much. I posted them in their directories here. The zelda folder goes into the textures folder. Do you think you could take a look? I would really appreciate it.

I've made the ruby itself (eg: No red texture at all, has an inner and outer, reflects and is transparent enough to see it's inner)

Just going to map the gold texture to the frame around the ruby now.

Then I look at making an updated bhk collision.

Basically I used the flawless ruby from skyrim to get settings from.

i imported your ruby into blender UV Unwrapped it and exported just the ruby without the frame as nif.

I then imported your ruby again, flipped the normals to face inwards, then UV Unwrapped it and exported it.

I then replaced the NiTriShape/NiTriShape in the skyrim flawless gem nif with the ones I just exported, linked the blocks and removed the original Skyrim original gem NiTriShape/NiTriShape blocks.

Looks Ok so far.

basically the only texture i needed from your textures was the gold.dds..

I'll generate a normal map for it.

blahh, blah blah...lol

Then I'll post your updated ruby that will hopefully be what your after.

Those are absolutely beautiful, thank you so much for working on them! Now, these are actually part of a set of 3, and while the third one shows up just fine, I can't actually select it or pick it up, not to mention it looks much worse now....Is there any way you could take a look at it too? I posted it here. If not that's ok, I can probably get it working myself, if I could find a good tutorial on setting nifs up for miscitem usage.