25mm Shouldermounted Autocannon

Junnari

http://i.imgur.com/pfvxnwn.png

I started (yet another) weapon mod, this time focusing on heavy gun that could be considered something between Minigun and missile launcher; 25mm Autocannon that fires high damage rounds at mediocre firing rate, effectively able to take down heavily armored targets without relying on explosive damage (unless using explosive rounds that I'm planning on including to the mod). The weapon concept is bit similar to the 10mm SMMG in FNV, but also combines elements from Browning M2, Lahti L-39, and the Imperial Guard Autocannon from WH40k universe. The gun will use the Fat Man animations with animated parts placed at corresponding positions, and although those animations have some limitations, I plan to add modified animations including better reloading animations once it becomes possible.

Some base stats (prone to changes):

• Damage: 90-110
  • Firing rate: 20-35
  • Range: 180-220
  • Magazine: 15 and 25 round magazines
  • Strong recoil, good accuracy

What I have ready so far:

• Basic .esp that allows using rough version to be used in the game (currently uses Fat Man model, and lacks mod support and other features).
  • Low-poly model starting to be ready (UV-map & textures are just placeholders to represent different materials).
  • Few ideas for mods.

Constructive criticism, suggestions, opinions and other comments are welcome.

More images:

http://imgur.com/a/GbXYO

Sight picture (possibly going to be changed):

https://imgur.com/yHDx18V

Edited by Junnari

There is small issue with it, as the magazine insertion will likely be flawed or lack the magazine entirely as part of the animation. The Fat Man has quite usable animations for it, but the mini nuke itslef causes some problems, as the same nuke that is part of the reloading animation vanishes upon firing first shot. This means that I'd either need to find a way to prevent the nuke/magazine from vanishing, or remove it from the animation and have it as static part of the weapon during the reloading animation. Out of these two options the latter is more plausible at the moment, but I plan to have magazine animated at least once it's possible to manipulate the animations.

I like the idea of the design, and the 3rd person model looks good and proper, however, the ADS view feels a bit lacking from the way the model foreshortens, and the flat nature of the sights.

my recommendation, consider adjusting camera placement, proportions, and details of the weapon to showcase the weapon better in ADS view, as right now, the sights mostly obscure the barrel, a large featureless slab is the closest thing to the viewer's face, and the only thing presenting details is the heatshield, which looks low-poly up close. Consider details that might help break up some of these shapes.

Please note, this is not a knock on your design, just trying to shed light on an unfortunate byproduct of 3d weapon design. That weapons can look totally fine as a 3d design when rotated around and examined, then look awkward in ADS or at certain FOV settings.

The sights are still pretty big question mark, as I'm not certain if I'll keep the current design, or use something far less precise like the gunner sight on the minigun. The model has still some space for details, especially in the rear part of the receiver besides the parts visible in first person, though I'm running bit low on ideas that could be used to add more details. The sights pic was actually taken with 3,5 times more zoomed field of view (forgot to change the camera setting from focal length to FOV before setting the value), so there is bit more details in the actual aimed view. The detail issue will likely also be relieved once I get to texturing, as the blank white material has quite strong simplifying effect.

you can always try re-purposing sights that already exist in game, like the rocket launcher or assault rifle iron sights, or even try something like this, http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/9476/? where you turn scopes into reflex sights.

as for the details, there's some good reference if you google up 20mm rifles. There are often grooves, recesses and such running down the length of the receivers that would catch the light in interesting ways.