Community project: help everybody Learn to create new skill trees.

pyrotx

Many people including myself have wondered how in any conceivable oblivion do we create new skill trees. So far I know how to modify or combine preexisting skill trees, even the Dawnguard ones. But No one seems to have any idea how to create any new, independent skill trees. So I am asking anyone reading this to share what they know, and to eventually put it all together into a tutorial, so that all the modders out there wanting to do a skill tree mod can finally get it done.

Here is what I have learned so far:

I have trying to create a new independent skill tree that opens when you read a book. Needless to say, my hair is starting to turn white. But while my hair was dying via suicide I managed to learn a few things about the creation kit.

FIRST: If anyone wants to modify preexisting skill trees, there is a tutorial done by darkfox127 on YouTube.

SECOND: I found the files responsible for the perk tree menu and it's starry visuals. The files are .nif files found in the Skyrim-Meshes.bsa. It is called intPerkSkydome.nif and the file that handles the vampire skill tree is intVampirePerkSkydome.nif from the Dawnguard.bsa

These skydomes can probably be edited in both 3ds-Max or nifscope., but I don't know how to work either.

The third thing that I learned was that it seems to be impossible to create a new skill in the actor values menu, because most of the options are greyed out.

So what I would like to know is how to command the game to go into the generic level up menu, without opening the journal, like what is the actual command code or script that sends the player's camera to the level up menu. And is there a way to open up the level up menu by an action like picking up an item, or casting a spell? The main reason I need to know this is that I might tell me how the game determines which skydome and skill tree menu to show. For example if you are in werewolf form, the game will show you the werewolf level up skill tree / skydome area. Hopefully once I know the command and how the game determines which level up menu to show, we can tell it to open up any new individual skill tree we want to create, but only if a second problem is dealt with.

The second thing I would really like to know is how to create a new actor value in the skill category. Because as I said earlier, I can create a new actor value, but the option to make that new actor value a skill with a skill tree is greyed out.

Some good news however, I do think I can successfully duplicate the vampire skill actor value. But that wont do much good, because even though I could modify the perks to be not vampire related, like turn it into a shout tree for example, I would have no way of opening this new skill tree menu, it might be in-game, but without knowing the controls or commands to open the menu, it would be useless.

So that is all I know at the moment. I hope this is useful and there are other modders out there who might know more, and who are interested in finally solving this problem.