Substance Painter export preset

xgamer468

Yay another post from someone that wants to get started in modding and doesnt know what hes doing ;D

So for the last couple of months ive been teaching myelf 3ds max while building a helmet, which ive finsihed and textured as well as i could in Substance painter.

Here are the two textures i came up with:

http://i.imgur.com/GFjzbWM.png
http://i.imgur.com/R9bu9vT.png

http://i.imgur.com/dAvmQVb.png

So i now i need to export them, however im not sure which preset to use. The internet wasnt really a huge help so far, pretty much the only thing ive found was the fallout doesnt use the normal pbr metal rough but more gloss/spec, which is good to know but doesnt help me much. So i was wondering if anyone has found a way to export textures and would be patient enough to explain me how to do it. Thanks in advance!

Well, I'm only a fellow newbie myself and I'm not very familiar with 3dsMax, hopefully someone else can give more specific advice. However I can offer a little bit of help with how the specular map works as I've done a few retextures with it using photoshop and the beta version intel .dds plugin.

I save all of mine in the .dds file type with the format BC5 8bpp with a linear two channel tangent map which seems to work correctly within Fallout 4. What you want is two channels one to control the gloss and one to control the specularity with the brightness in each channel showing how high these values should be in the corresponding location on the model (in a linear fashion). In photoshop these are displayed as the green and red channels and you can paint them on directly. I've never tried it with the substance painter for 3dsMax though I'm sorry.

Yay, I can finally help someone.

Simple answer first: bgsm/bgem files control your textures. You don't want them to look like shæt, find an in game asset with the type of texture scheme you want and look at the settings.

Still simple: Next, go to the substance share website and download the spec/gloss shader and stick it in the shelf folder in the documents folder subfolder somewhere in Allegorithmic land. This way you can preview the less than PBR that's gonna render in Gambryo duck tape and spit, with metal hacks, 1980s music and big hair game engine.

Finally: Before you select the export settings in SP, make a copy of the spec/gloss preset, name it xgamerSpec_gloss and scroll down and select it in the options.

Now:

I usually use Substance Designer to combine the height and normal maps cause I don't rebake the normal in SP idk,y.

Then you need the nVidia PS DDS plugin and choose:

DXT5 interpolated alpha for the _d.dds

3Dc for the _n.dds

and I use the Intel Texture works color BC7 (another mostly broke beta plugin) for the specular, but ppl say to use the 3Dc also for that map _s.dds but, when I reimport the map, I don't like what I get back. The color no alpha BC7 color Texture works gives me identical stuff back.

To make the specular map:

You take the gloss map and NOT but it in the g for green channel for gloss. Green channel is Specular.

You take the gloss map and but it in the red channel.

If you have problems sticking the grey scale channels into channels, I just export the diffuse map, paint it black, then import the gloss in red and spec in green and viola.

That's it. You ain't gonna get the outputs we get in SP in game, but it's close enough.

Oh, btw, as I was told, it's a spec/gloss workspace, I suspended disbelief and tested it. That guy was right. Ty, that guy!

You didn't check the NifToolsTeam forums and read they're still trying to figure out what's up with the spec map? I told them, it ain't the map, it's the bgsm/bgem files. REMEMBER the bgsm files have to be set correctly for your type of asset, period. Or your armor will look like a dress.

I know you can work with transparency in PBR metal/rough/transp either alpha or blend, but good luck with that. There are some ppl that can get transparency like glass in game but, I counted only 4 ppl. The transparency is bgem files and that's another hack but I don't see it yet.

Edited by jeffglobal

Thanks for the answer, unfortunately substance painter seems to be a bit different in the way it handels channels than photo shop, i currently have an opacity, a roughness, a height and an ambient occlusion channel and im not sure which of these i can use for which output map, as apperantly from what ive hear just exporting them as they are doesnt work.

Well, I'm only a fellow newbie myself and I'm not very familiar with 3dsMax, hopefully someone else can give more specific advice. However I can offer a little bit of help with how the specular map works as I've done a few retextures with it using photoshop and the beta version intel .dds plugin.

I save all of mine in the .dds file type with the format BC5 8bpp with a linear two channel tangent map which seems to work correctly within Fallout 4. What you want is two channels one to control the gloss and one to control the specularity with the brightness in each channel showing how high these values should be in the corresponding location on the model (in a linear fashion). In photoshop these are displayed as the green and red channels and you can paint them on directly. I've never tried it with the substance painter for 3dsMax though I'm sorry.

You won't notice until you need an alpha channel, but the Intel texture works plugin is mostly broken, though I like the BC7 for speculars cause I never use alphas with them. Get the nVidia DDS plugin

https://developer.nvidia.com/nvidia-texture-tools-adobe-photoshop

Thanks for the answer, unfortunately substance painter seems to be a bit different in the way it handels channels than photo shop, i currently have an opacity, a roughness, a height and an ambient occlusion channel and im not sure which of these i can use for which output map, as apperantly from what ive hear just exporting them as they are doesnt work.

You can export the maps directly spec/gloss, look at the second configuration tab in the export menu. Just duplicate it before you mess with it, so if you screw it up, you have a backup.

The maps inside the software are irrelevant. I work PBR and export for spec/gloss. I use the spec/gloss shader to get a preview it's not total puke that way.

You could do it the hard way and go to Marmoset Toolkits website and learn how to hand convert from PBR to spec/gloss, and back, but f that for me.

Edited by jeffglobal

You won't notice until you need an alpha channel, but the Intel texture works plugin is mostly broken, though I like the BC7 for speculars cause I never use alphas with them. Get the nVidia DDS plugin

Ive already tried using this pugin, however every time im trying to open a .dds file it tells me that its the wrong type of file and there is no option to export as .dds files either :/

Edited by xgamer468

Thankyou for the advice, I'll take a look into this.

damn it, the spec/gloss shader makes doesnt display my glass transparent, is this whats it will look like in game? I mean without any bgsm work? Because im not sure how to do that... maybe ill just wait until there is more info on this and start making something else....

Edited by xgamer468