Standalone PA Paint Job Tutorial?

Jerros

So I've finally started doing a paintjob retexture for all the PAs but I have no idea how to make them Standalone. Any info or a general tutorial would be great. I've not found any specific info as of yet. Thought I'd check here with the pros that are already doing this. My textures are almost done and I have been able to view them in game as replacers, but the main goal would be to have them as complete standalone paints. Again, any info or any sort of tutorial would be greatly appreciated.

Feel free to use my standalone armor mod as a basis if you want to see how one works.

It's: USMC power armor.

You need three things.

The textures.

The material files linked to those textures.

The .esp telling the game to use them.

It's quite possible to make them individually yourself, if you have the Material Editor and FO4Edit.

There's a good tutorial on how to do this manually, the Material Swap Tutorial by DM. Edit: This isn't made specifically for Power Armor, but it's a good way to understand the idea of Material Swaps.

However there's also a program that creates it all for you automatically. The Standalone Power Armor Paint Compiler by Expired6987. This utility is wonderful but not very user friendly, there is a tutorial for it though created by Jamie1992 AKA Steelhawk. It can still be tricky to use but if you've got a lot of paints to go through, this automated process makes it much much faster.

Edit: If you have any trouble following these tutorials feel free to ask me any questions and I can try to answer them as best I can.

Edited by PoliteRaider

Feel free to use my standalone armor mod as a basis if you want to see how one works.

It's: USMC power armor.

You need three things.

The textures.

The material files linked to those textures.

The .esp telling the game to use them.

It's quite possible to make them individually yourself, if you have the Material Editor and FO4Edit.

There's a good tutorial on how to do this manually, the Material Swap Tutorial by DM. Edit: This isn't made specifically for Power Armor, but it's a good way to understand the idea of Material Swaps.

However there's also a program that creates it all for you automatically. The Standalone Power Armor Paint Compiler by Expired6987. This utility is wonderful but not very user friendly, there is a tutorial for it though created by Jamie1992 AKA Steelhawk. It can still be tricky to use but if you've got a lot of paints to go through, this automated process makes it much much faster.

Edit: If you have any trouble following these tutorials feel free to ask me any questions and I can try to answer them as best I can.

Thank you so much. Really appreciate it. Hopefully I can get this figured out. You are a life saver my friend!

Well, I still have this in the clipboard, so here's a tutorial too:

@politeraider I have to check your bgsm files, if you used paint on metal given beth is using spec/gloss and a metal hack...idk, maybe it's straight forward, I've been doing knives last few days, which don't require greyscale palette thingies. I think pa uses palettes like the 10mm pistol if I remember correctly...if that's the case, then you need two identical meshes, one doing the metal and one doing the paint with an alpha channel. I dare you to add glows! I have to do that soon for shæts and giggles...

Well, I still have this in the clipboard, so here's a tutorial too:

@politeraider I have to check your bgsm files, if you used paint on metal given beth is using spec/gloss and a metal hack...idk, maybe it's straight forward, I've been doing knives last few days, which don't require greyscale palette thingies. I think pa uses palettes like the 10mm pistol if I remember correctly...if that's the case, then you need two identical meshes, one doing the metal and one doing the paint with an alpha channel. I dare you to add glows! I have to do that soon for shæts and giggles...

You're correct in that the power armors in the game use palettes like the 10mm pistol. However I got frustrated with that approach, deleted the palette and changed the .bgsm file to just use my diffuse textures directly instead. I preferred to be able to work on it my own way without dealing with the strange standard approach. The game doesn't seem to have a problem with this, although it does look a bit different (personally I quite like how it looks for my armor though).

Yeah, I want to figure out the glow stuff but I've been a little too busy to play with it. At the moment I'm trying to figure out how to get semi-transparent glass textures working in game. I've actually managed it and it looks right visually, but I'm doing something wrong and breaking the collision mesh so I need to go back a few steps and try to do it the right way.

Edit: Also wanted to add, I only just found Elianora's channel yesterday and I love her tutorials so yeah I definitely recommend a look at that link of yours as well.

Edited by PoliteRaider

So I've decided to give the Paintjobs compiler a go since I'm doing several and will be adding more as I go. So far I have 2 for X-01 and all other have 1. However I plan on adding more once I get some illustrations completed. The compiler does seem a little complicated but I'm thinking thats going to be my best option. I miss the old days from Skyrim when doing textures was so much easier. then again, there was/is the construction kit which helped tremendously. Will be so glad once they release it for FO4.