How turn Weapon into Apparel

Descivii

I need some help would greatly appreciate it if someone could help me out with this.

I want to turn MK14 EBR into apparel item that can be used with the Weapon on Back mod. I have a .nif with the gun all as 1 single item but not sure where to go from here to make it an apparel item. I read the instructions for Modders on WOB page but it assumes a weapon is already an apparel piece at that point.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've not actually done so, but this should work (granted there might be an easier way I don't know about):

Download BodySlide, launch it and load Outfit Studio.

File->Load Outfit

- From File: Your weapon mesh.

For each shape listed under the Meshes tab to the right, right-click: Export OBJ. Save these somewhere easy to find, but temporary, since you wont be needing them long.

File->New Project

- Reference: Base vanilla body works fine if you don't use CBBE, but you can use the CBBE or from Vanilla template if you want (and don't have the vanilla assets extracted, nor want to do so). It wont matter that much.

- Outfit: Clear outfit

Right-click on the shape in the Meshes tab displayed in green (this is your Reference). Import OBJ each piece of the weapon you exported just a moment ago. Reselect the reference and right click on it for each of them you import.

Once you have everything imported, select the whole list of shapes except the Reference. Right-click on any of these selected shapes and use Move, Scale and Rotate to position the weapon how you want it to appear in game. Since they're all selected, it'll change them all.

When you have it looking how you want, with your shapes still selected, change to the Bones tab and select the bone you want them rigged to. Chest_Rear_skin looks like the best for a weapon on the back, but you might want to look at one of the meshes from that mod to see which bone they're using. Shift-click one other bone, any will do (Chest would be easiest just because it's right there).

Shape->Copy Selected Weights

For the next part, the following will be helpful:

- Edit->uncheck Enable Textures

- Click the Brush Settings button to expand its sliders. Change Size, Strength, Focus to 1.0. Spacing to 0.0

Select each shape in the weapon at a time in the Meshes tab, then switch back to Bones. For each, do the following:

- Select Chest (or whatever throwaway bone you've chosen). Alt-click everywhere on the shape to remove the weighting (if any) to the Chest. It should have no coloration on it whatsoever when you're done. This was true in FO3 and I can't imagine it having changed, but it will not work with only one bone in the skin partition, you need at least two, even if one has no weight to it.

- Select Chest_Rear_skin (or whichever bone you've decided to use): Paint the entire thing solid red.

Back to the Meshes tab, select all the weapon shapes again and right-click, Build Skin Partitions.

You can fix the textures now if you like, or wait until after you've exported it to do it in Nifskope. I'd use Nifskope, but it's up to you (though I don't think you can change any of the shader flags at all in OS, which you will need to do).

File->Export->Export NIF.

I'd recommend saving this in the same directory as the normal weapon mesh, just with a different name, like having Weapon.NIF and WeaponCarried.NIF or somesuch, but it's really up to you where to put it, or if the mod needs them somewhere specific (I haven't checked).

Load both your original weapon and your wearable variant in their own windows in Nifskope. For each shape in both:

Expand the BSSubIndexTriShape block

Select BSLightingShaderProperty block

- Make the Wearable NIF's settings the same as the original's except for leaving SLSF1_Skinned active on the wearable one.

- This is the same list you will see SLSF1_FaceGen_RGB_Tint that needs to be removed.

- If your original has SLSF1_Environment_Mapping, do not forget to set Shader Type to Environment Map.

- You either need to blank out the Name field, or enter the material file the original uses.

Save and you should be good to go... unless I've bungled explaining something or missed a step :ermm:

Edited by Kikaimegami

Thanks Kikaimegami for the help

Ok, so I think thats done so what now? How do I make it appear in game as an apparel item? I think once it's a wearable item in game I can then use the Visible Weapons mod.

Edited by Descivii

You're welcome, both of you :) Though I did forget a step :wallbash:

After all that, you also need to expand that BSLightingShaderProperty block and copy the textures from the original to the wearable in the BSShaderTextureSet block. Enter them exactly as they are in the original, leaving blank the same ones blank there. If you're using a material file though, this isn't technically necessary.

As for getting them into the mod, I had a quick look at the desc for it and you're right, so what you need to do is:

- Go look at the thing I typed out in this thread for creating a new mod with xEdit, because I am so not writing another just for this :ermm: Just name your ARMO and ARMA records something more appropriate for this, and a somewhat obvious name for the esp.

- After you've done all that, select the ARMA record you made and change both the male and female world model entries to the path to the wearable weapon NIF. You'll have to type the path out yourself, which will be the path to your file from within the meshes directory, so something like "Weapons\WeaponModName\WeaponCarried.NIF" or whatever it actually is for you.

- Change the Biped Body Template, First Person Flags since you'll probably have to remove some depending on what vanilla item you copied from. I'd recommend using the Slot Usage Standard, which Armorsmith Extended's description page has the full list. The relevant entries are: 55 for the weapon on the hip, 58 for the weapon on the back.

- Go to the ARMO record you made and make its first person flags match what you just set in the ARMA record. Change the FULL - Name record to something that is both easy to remember and relatively unique.

- Ctrl+S to save then close out of FO4Edit.

- Make sure the plugin you created is set to active in NMM and launch the game. To get your apparel weapon, open the console and type: help "The Full Name You Gave It" 4 armo

- - You can also just type the first word instead of the full name, but it's going to return everything with that word in the name.

- Using the FormID of your item you got from the help search you just did, in the console type: player.additem FormID 1

Then you should just be able to follow the directions from the Visible Weapons mod.

Ok, so Im at the part where I copy an ARMA entry to mine (I used the AECnhimkokoPistolHarnessArma [ARMA:02000DD0] since it's already a hip holster) but the new ARMA record doesn't show in the drop down ARMA list in my ARMO record. Should I just type it in even though it doesn't show it?

Many Thanks

J.

EDIT: Nevermind...I happened to remember that the new record has to be collapsed and reopened to recognize some changes

Edited by Descivii

That's odd. Does it show up in the tree view under your esp's name? You may have to collapse its branch and expand it again so it'll update that list. Your esp should have both Armor and Armor Addon categories in it at this point.

Were there any warning messages when you were copying the ARMA record?

Though you could just try typing it in and see what happens.

1. Did you set the male and female world models in the ARMA record? The male and female world models in ARMO are for the ground mesh and only the male needs set. This can be set to the unequippable NIF if you want.

2. Do the First Person Flags under Biped Body Template match in both ARMO and ARMA? They should both be set to 55 for hip, or 58 for back.

3. If yes to both the above, try getting completely naked and only equipping the apparel weapon.

4. If it still isn't working, package your esp and the nif up in a zip file and attach it to your next post so I can have a look.