Want to buy a laptop that can play Skyrim

maxtro

I'm not really a desktop guy anymore and just want to have one computer that I can do everything on.

I also want to buy one in the near future so I can get a free 360 with it.

One I'm considering is the HP g6s

Processor

2nd generation Intel® Core i3-2310M Processor (2.1 GHz, 3MB L3 Cache)

Graphics card

1GB DDR3 Radeon HD 6470M Graphics [HDMI, VGA]

Memory

6GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)

$699, just enough to get the Xbox.

I don't care about playing on high. Just want the game to look decent and get a playable FPS.

The CPU might prove to be problematic, as will the graphics card, but at that price, your call.

I think the CPU can be upgraded to 3.

How big of a problem would the GFX card be?

Most of the laptops I'm finding come with the Intel HD onboard crap.

Honestly, the best advice is to wait. Wait for official specs for the game to come out, and wait for the price of hardware to fall. Don't buy any laptop until the requirements are set in stone, by that time, any laptop you buy will get you more power for your money than it will if you buy it now. In other words, a $1000 computer purchased 6 months from now > a $1000 computer bought right now.

I would wait till early fall to make a move if you are in a rush for the 360 then just buy a 360. Doesn't make sense to jump the gun a buy a $700 sub par computer just to get a free 360 by that logic you are paying $700 for a 360.

The graphics card would be just fine. The processor would be a bit of a problem though, cause knowing Bethesda and how they like to work their engines, you'll need something with at least about 2.6ghz processing power or better to play on full(but you're not worried about that, so yeah :P). The 6470M rates 366 on a graphics benchmark scale and is rated on the high-end video card market. So, it's not the best(compared to the GeForce GTX 580, which almost has a benchmark of 4000), but it will get the job done, and rates fairly around the same range as my as my GeForce GT 220(which is benchmarked at about 450), and I play Fallout 3/NV at full, so you should be able to handle Skyrim with that card just fine. But if you do go with it, I'd suggest keeping AA off, as AA needs processing power(which is why I suggested 2.6ghz or higher). If you want to know more about graphic cards and how they rate, you can go to videocardbenchmark.net.

But as suggested above, I would actually wait to see the minimum specs before buying a laptop specifically for Skyrim. :thumbsup:

Edited by jhardingame

Thanks for the advice guys.

My main goal is to get a decent notebook that can play Skyrim. Getting a free 360 is just a really nice bonus.

The g6s was the only computer I was able to find that can come with the non standard onboard video. I'm limited to HP, Dell or computer bought at Best Buy or the Microsoft's website.

The CPU can be upgraded. The options are

Included in price

2nd generation Intel® Dual Core i5-2410M (2.3 GHz, 3MB L3 Cache) with Turbo Boost up to 2.9GHz

+$75.00

2nd generation Intel® Dual Core i5-2520M (2.5GHz, 3MB L3 Cache) with Turbo Boost up to 3.2 GHz

+$175.00

2nd generation Intel® Dual Core i7-2620M (2.7GHz, 4MB L3 Cache) with Turbo Boost up to 3.4 GHz

+$275.00

I don't have a clue what AA is. My computers have never been able to support it so I always left it off.

Thanks for the advice guys.

My main goal is to get a decent notebook that can play Skyrim. Getting a free 360 is just a really nice bonus.

The g6s was the only computer I was able to find that can come with the non standard onboard video. I'm limited to HP, Dell or computer bought at Best Buy or the Microsoft's website.

The CPU can be upgraded. The options are

Included in price

2nd generation Intel® Dual Core i5-2410M (2.3 GHz, 3MB L3 Cache) with Turbo Boost up to 2.9GHz

+$75.00

2nd generation Intel® Dual Core i5-2520M (2.5GHz, 3MB L3 Cache) with Turbo Boost up to 3.2 GHz

+$175.00

2nd generation Intel® Dual Core i7-2620M (2.7GHz, 4MB L3 Cache) with Turbo Boost up to 3.4 GHz

+$275.00

I don't have a clue what AA is. My computers have never been able to support it so I always left it off.

AA is anti aliasing. Basically it reduces jaggy edges seen within rendered scenes and such. Here's a full on in-depth look to it. Wikipedia of course. :P

Jaggy edges eh? Doesn't seem like I'm missing much.

My current computer runs Oblivion with the minimum settings and gets 15 FPS.

As long as the Skyrim would look decent and get a playble FPS I'll be happy

With that laptop, I'll guess that the GPU will be able to run it on medium, with a few settings switched on high, with no lag.

Might I recommend the program, Game Booster, for when you do get it. This program shuts off non-essential programs (fully configurable what program you want to shut off) and switches your themes and appearance of Windows 7 to the lowest quality to free up memory and CPU usage. (It worked wonders for Fallout 3 and New Vegas, and I'm thinking it will also be great for Skyrim as well)

The 6GB memory is good, and even if it's not, that's the easiest thing in the world to upgrade.

However, with a little looking, you could probably find a better deal. But if you want the free Xbox 360, go ahead.

Edited by skullsy