I need a simple mod that removes the pip-boy.

TippingChair

I've always hated the pip-boy. I have a mod installed right now that removes the pip-boy when you're in third-person, but I need something better. You know how when you're in power armor, you can navigate your inventory, quests and map without ever seeing the pip-boy? It's just a floating menu. I want to see THAT menu even when I'm not in power armor, as if it's some sort of hologram. Is it possible right now?

Agreed. I've been looking down the keypress rabbit hole but alot of what I've seen* is swf files (that can decompiled and read with Show My Code site). My guess is you would just divert the button/key activation from Pipboy to load Power Armor hud instead. Idk how it's done though.

*Been looking through SouthpawUI files. Advanced things can be done, but the files I've read are 5k+ lines of code. Hopefully there's an easier way.

That was my conclusion too after banging my head on the keyboard again and again. I was looking at bartermenu and containermenu swf files to track switching between my tab and vendor tab (with goal of keeping them in sync). Found some insightful syntax that's probably part of the solution. My gut feeling is that our problems will be solved in the same manner, some form of button/key interception. Just one of several ideas shelved until CK.

That was my conclusion too after banging my head on the keyboard again and again. I was looking at bartermenu and containermenu swf files to track switching between my tab and vendor tab (with goal of keeping them in sync). Found some insightful syntax that's probably part of the solution. My gut feeling is that our problems will be solved in the same manner, some form of button/key interception. Just one of several ideas shelved until CK.

Pretty much. It might be possible right now, but it would be a lot of trouble for something that is likely to be both easier and of superior quality when the CK is released. And for that matter, when F4SE is more fleshed out.

We need a simple way to detect button/key presses and intercept the activate/event function to do what we want instead. I've read that F4SE can do some of that, but I've never used it and there's not really a helpfile for noobs at this point. (I've been using Bethesda Archive Extractor, Champollion, and Caprica to mess with scripts.)

Here's some rabbit hole swf reading if anyone's interested, but I'd rather enjoy the game at this point than spend all my free time getting frustrated. I prefer to make things, but c'est la vie.

http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/3375175-deobfuscate-the-swf-files-aka-ui-moddinga-start/

http://forum.worldoftanks.eu/index.php?/topic/287391-tutorial-editing-actionscript-in-as3-swf-files-for-wot-088-with-rabcdasm/

https://www.adobe.com/content/dam/Adobe/en/devnet/actionscript/articles/avm2overview.pdf

Edit: Gut feeling says the keypress itself shouldn't matter, that the "bring up Pipboy" event should already be in a function or script. Haven't found it yet, though. In fact, the only reason I've been hunting button/key presses is to see if they reveal the name of the activated functions.

Maybe OpenInventory() is the right place? Still looking for it, but referenced here:

;/ Decompiled by Champollion V1.0.5

PEX format v3.9 GameID: 2

Source : g:\_F4\Art\Raw\Scripts\OpenInventoryInfoScript.psc

Modified : 2015-07-14 14:24:34

Compiled : 2015-12-11 13:01:16

User : builds

Computer : RKVBGSBUILD05

/;

const ScriptName OpenInventoryInfoScript extends TopicInfo

{ opens actor's inventory on the info OnEnd event }

;-- Functions ---------------------------------------

Function OnEnd(ObjectReference akSpeakerRef, bool abHasBeenSaid)

If (Utility.IsInMenuMode() == False)

Utility.wait(0.2)

If (akSpeakerRef == Game.GetPlayer() as ObjectReference)

(akSpeakerRef as Actor).GetDialogueTarget().OpenInventory(True)

Else

(akSpeakerRef as Actor).OpenInventory(True)

EndIf

EndIf

EndFunction

just an FYI, I did very little when editing the .swf files for SouthPaw UI. I don't know all that much about flash files and basically only know enough to find and edit the text that displays on the screen for the button presses.

Not sure what program your using to look at the files but JPEXS works well.

Edited by chucksteel

I've always hated the pip-boy. I have a mod installed right now that removes the pip-boy when you're in third-person, but I need something better. You know how when you're in power armor, you can navigate your inventory, quests and map without ever seeing the pip-boy? It's just a floating menu. I want to see THAT menu even when I'm not in power armor, as if it's some sort of hologram. Is it possible right now?

I never realized how much I want a mod like this until now. I've always loved Readius, but I like this so much better.