Usable swing meshes?

Jokerine

Hey all! I was wondering if anybody skilled with meshes would be willing to add furniture nodes to the swings so you could sit on them. It would be really cool to sit on them and listen to the ambiance!

I could use a quick replace in the GECK to swap the original statics with furniture versions, unless someone knows of another way.

I really hope someone can do this! I have no idea of how to add furniture nodes to meshes. I could manually place sitting markers on each reference of the swings in the worldspace but... eh.

Thanks! :)

Hey all! I was wondering if anybody skilled with meshes would be willing to add furniture nodes to the swings so you could sit on them.

Hey Jokerine, if no one comes through for you, give me a shout in this thread. I'v done a few projects with furniture and I don't think it would be difficult to put together for you (I'd do it this weekend if I wasn't already backlogged).

Maybe a rusty swing sound when the player sits as well?

I've never added a furniture marker to a static mesh so I thought I would give it a shot. I copied over the furniture markers from a couch and deleted one, moved the other two into position on the swing seats, then fiddled with the flags until everything looked ok in nifskope. But then when I try it in game, my character moves into position and is ready to sit, but just stands there, and I no longer have any control over my character's movements. So obviously I've done something wrong.

If someone can tell me or point me towards some info on how to make this work I would appreciate it. I spent some time googling and didn't come up with anything useful.

Edited by madmongo

Thanks for the responses everyone! I was in bed falling asleep when I got this idea and I had to get up to post it :P Do keep me posted if any of y'all manage to get it to work! In the meantime, nonoodles has a park table with new furniture markers, in case that helps someone figure things out :)

I've been playing around some more with it, and actually it turns out that the single swing works ok, and the swing with two seats works in the left seat. It's only the right seat that locks my character up.

I just have to figure out what's wrong with the right seat.

Good luck! I'm so excited! :dance:

I forgot to add, I really hope both meshes (the one with one broken seat and the other with both full seats) can get the seating markers. That would be super duper, if it's not much trouble :)

Edited by Jokerine

I didn't have any luck last night.

I have uploaded what I have so far here:

http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/60488/?

The single seat (aka the swings with one good seat and one broken seat) works fine. The double seat works fine with one seat and the other seat will usually lock the player up. The weird thing is it seems to depend on where my character is standing when they try to sit on the swing. I can get it to work if I stand in front and off to the side of the swing seat. Standing directly in front or behind the seat and activating it seems to be a guaranteed lock-up.

The swings are behind the school in Goodsprings. The seat that locks up is the one on the left as you are facing the school, which is the one on the right if you are sitting and facing away from the school. The swings are oriented to face away from the school when you sit.

I'm not ready to admit defeat yet, but at this point I don't know what to do next. I don't see any difference between the seats that work and the one that doesn't.

If anyone can tell me where I went wrong I would be very grateful.

I figured out the problem.

After re-doing the swingset mesh and creating new collision for it and trying all kinds of stuff in NifSkope, I finally noticed that there was a texture seam right under the edge of the seat that didn't work. When I looked at it in the GECK and turned on cell boundaries, I saw that the swings did indeed sit right on a boundary between two cells. I moved the swings so that they were no longer straddling two cells, and everything worked.

So then I went back to my original file with my original nifs and moved the swings in that version, and that also worked. So the problem was definitely the swing placement and not a nif problem.

I uploaded the new version. The only difference between the old version and the new version is that I moved the problem set of swings.

If you have any issues with it, let me know.

I did this as a learning experience for myself, and I learned two things: 1. How to apply furniture to a static and 2. Don't place your furniture so that it sits on a cell boundary. So overall, this was a success!