Converting FNV armor to FO4 without bgsm files...

JuzoXX

So I am trying to convert some armor from FNV for use in FO4.

I downloaded the armor from the FNV Nexus page and so far things are looking very promising, except I just noticed that there is no ".bgsm" file present in the files for the mod I downloaded.

The .zip only included the "meshes" & "textures" folders along with a few .png files, I think these were used for the fomod installer menus, and the ".esp" file to activate the mod for FNV.

This is my first real try at converting a mod from a previous FO game for use in FO4. This is also my first ever mod that I hope to upload to the Nexus.

Now what I'm guessing I should do is use "Material Editor" and create a new .bgsm from scratch using the texture files that were included with the armor for FNV?

The armor I'm converting has a LOT of texture files! There are 33 loose files and 1 folder located inside the "textures" folder from the .zip file for the armor.

Now I'm pretty sure I won't be making a .bgsm file for every single texture file, but I don't know what to do?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks~

.bgsm/ Material Files contain links to all the different textures a mesh is using (along with some other info), so really you only need a different one for each mesh that uses a different texture set. You dont have to use a .bgsm if you dont want to and could just use the TextureSet in the .nif.

Also make sure you have the proper permission to port said content over, seems to get forgotten pretty often.

I'd like to add some emphasis on lilkandeekid's statement that if you're going to be releasing this, make sure you have permission from the original author first!

Have you tried copying a default .bgsm or one from a mod and using it as your base? I was thinking of trying this myself but not sure if it would work.

That's actually exactly how it works, because it's sure as hell a lot easier than making one from scratch :ermm: Just go poking around in ~/materials/Armor and find one sort of like what you're converting, then change the texture locations in it and save as a new file in your game install ~Data/materials/Armor/Whatever

The textures you'll be setting are as they appear in the texture set block for each of the shapes in each nif, so you're always going to have more than one texture listed in a bgsm. At the very least, each will contain a diffuse and normal map file. The problem here is you'll have to make your own specular textures to add to them, and normal/specular maps need converted for FO4. Use FOAM for that.

Having converted something from FONV myself, I can tell you it really isn't that hard at all, you just need to do a bit of preparation of more than just the meshes.

Edited by Kikaimegami

Hey, Trickey said conversions of FONV nifs with NiTrishapes to BSTrishapes are not possible...and if possible the collision system node is not understood yet, and the FONV meshes don't have any in the same form.

I considered making some game asset a slave donor and then add back nifs made from objs of the FONV nif NiTrishapes, but I got distracted the last 2 days with 20 hrs of adv materials, lighting and rendering stupid training.

Is it NOT the case NiTrishapes are not compatible, cause there have been gun conversions I thought I saw and an armor set from NV on the nexus, right?

A kid has a gun he wants to get into the game, and I'm back the BSX/CPT/CPA business, and avoided trying again...I fixed the kid's uv's on the mesh, and textured it some, but I have no clue still how a gun is put together, and I bet it's dumb simple, just not guessable.

You can also edit them with any program that can export fbx (or obj, but you'll lose rigging if it has it), and use Outfit Studio to convert them to NIF. I've used OS as a conversion revolving door on FONV and Skyrim meshes, no other programs necessary, without any issues (well, other than having to cook up proper specular files, and refitting them to FO4 bodies since they were clothing items, but those aren't really "issues").