Mod load Order.

nilmaboy

Good evening all.

I'm asking when installing Mods are theautomaticallyly placed in the correct load order?

I've already download both ModManagers.

A slight problem though!!

Sorry for sounding really thick, but I do not understand the install instructions.

I understand Unzip the file on your computer with 7z (download here). in a folder, where you wish to store your downloaded Mods.

open the folder and start the DAO-Modmanager.exe, I think.

Ive created a new folder where My Mods are kept. Unzipped in this folder and run DAO-Modmanager.exe. or do I run the .exe in the mods folder which is unpackedacked with the DAO-Modmanager.exe?

Unllinstall part I don't Get.

Which folder do I delete? The same one that has the Unzipped file? or the Mod folder which is in the created folder?

Update:copy the new files in the folder, where you have installed DAO-Modmanager andfilesce the old ftiles.

I don't see any old files. The only New file is a DAO-Modmanager.ini file. The only Mods installed at the moment are the DLC's

I'm not a complete Mod Novice. Modded Oblivion.Fallout3 and New Vegas. All with Mod manager programs.

Any help or advice is very much appreciated.

Thank you for your time.

James. :unsure: :)

Have you got .dazip files? Literally jsut drag the file ON TO the left hand column of DA:O Mod Manager

ANYTHING ELSE generally jsut dump the un zipped folder in

"C:\Users\your name\Documents\BioWare\Dragon Age\packages\core\override"

Sorry if this isn't any help, your question is fragmented and hard for me to follow.

Take a look at this article: "Using Dragon Age Mods for Dummies". It'll answer your questions, and a whole lot more! http://www.thenexusforums.com/public/style_emoticons/dark/thumbsup.gif

(BTW: There's not really any such thing as "mod load order" in Dragon Age. I mean, there is... but it's not like with FOMM, or anything. It's actually just an "alphanumeric-by-folder" thing. Since the game can only use ONE resource of a given name, it'll use the first last one it hits as it goes through the override folder's structure.)

Edited by Thandal
Corrected the cirtical ordinal.

Have you got .dazip files? Literally jsut drag the file ON TO the left hand column of DA:O Mod Manager

ANYTHING ELSE generally jsut dump the un zipped folder in

Sorry if this isn't any help, your question is fragmented and hard for me to follow.

Hi neil and Thandal.

Thank you both very much for your reply and information. Very much appreciated.

neil. The majority are 7z files.

However I do kmow how to convert folders back zip files. Am I ok to use these converted folders?

Thandal. thank you for the link. I read it yesterday. My last Oblivion game I was running almost 150 mods lol

Thak you again both for your replies.

With Much Respect.

James. :)

Hi again.

Download this program:

http://www.7-zip.org/download.html

7z files are simply a packing around the files you need.

That program will allow you to 'unpack' the files, so that you can use them.

Once you've unpacked a file, check the folder its created, it will often have a readme file in it, telling you what do. But 99% of the time you just need to cut and paste this created folder into

If there's a DAzip file, just drag and drop on to mod manager left pane like I said.

Definately Download mod manger(DAMM) if you dont have it

http://www.dragonagenexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=277

Hi James :)

As to your question about the converted files. Using either DAM or DAMM.... I've used a lot of mods that were originally as .7z files, then converted to .zip and then used the DAM or DAMM to install them with. So that shouldnt give you any problems.

I have noticed a complaint tho, where some people's downloads arent working correctly when trying to install them. Some kind of glitch going on with the download servers I suppose. So that might be an issue that pops up for you. If so it's not the conversion, it was just a bad download. ;)

Hi again.

Download this program:

http://www.7-zip.org/download.html

7z files are simply a packing around the files you need.

That program will allow you to 'unpack' the files, so that you can use them.

Once you've unpacked a file, check the folder its created, it will often have a readme file in it, telling you what do. But 99% of the time you just need to cut and paste this created folder into

If there's a DAzip file, just drag and drop on to mod manager left pane like I said.

Definately Download mod manger(DAMM) if you dont have it

http://www.dragonagenexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=277

Hi neil.

Thank you very much for your reply and information. Very much appreciated. :thumbsup:

I'm almost fnished installing the Mods, or I will be if I stopped finding more to include. lol

Thank you agai for your time and advice.

With much respect/

James.:)

Hi James :)

As to your question about the converted files. Using either DAM or DAMM.... I've used a lot of mods that were originally as .7z files, then converted to .zip and then used the DAM or DAMM to install them with. So thashouldn'tnt give you any problems.

I have noticed a complaint tho, where some people's downloaaren'tent working correctly when trying to install them. Some kind of glitch going on with the download servers I suppose. So that might be an issue that pops up for you. If so it's not the conversion, it was just a bad download. ;)

Hi Darkwolf.

Thank you very much for your reply and information. Very much appreciated :thumbsup:

After a lot of head scratching and reading,now I knconvert to convet files too the correct format for DAM.

I have both mod managers. Can't believe how simple DAM is to use. DAMM! Not a clue. I'm struggling to install as I don't understand the instructions. I feel such a fool. :blush:

When it says "Unzip the file in a folder, where you wish to store your downloaded Mods." Is it where my downloaded mods are or where they will end up in the game folder?

At the moment I have a folder where I store my moextractedlder I exracted the zip. I've ran the DAO-Modmanager.exe from inside that folder.

Then it says "Delete the folder (Caution will also be deleted all Mods in the folder, so you may backup your downloaded Mods. The Mods with the extension *.override are specifically fake-extensions for this tool (renamed *.zip files) and can be deleted or renamed to *.zip and used in the same way, as the downloaded Mod, if you don't wish to reinstall DAO-Modmanager.)

Which folder do I delete?

Update:

Copy the new files in the folder, where you have installed DAO-Modmanager and Replace the old files.

Which new files are these? The only new file created is a DAO-Modmanager.ini

The way I'm struggling with this, you'd think I was a complete Novice. I've used OBMM,FOMM,NVMM all with ease. I even know how to use "Wrye Bash" DAO should be a walk in the park!! But Not lol :wallbash:

My last Oblivion game had almost 150 Mods.lol

DAMM is so simple to use. I only wish OBMM was lol

If I can't work this out, can all mods be installed just using one modmanager please?

Any help you can give will be truly very appreciated.

Thank you again for your time ad help.

With much Respect.

James. :smile:

@nilmaboy;

I only use DAMM, or very occasionally, the game's built-in DAUpdater. While DAM can handle a ".zip" (it knows just to rename it as a ".dazip" for the game to recognize) I can do that step myself. But DAMM is the only manager that can handle ".override" files, and can position, install, activate, deactivate, uninstall, delete, and even allow on-the-fly configuration changes of certain mods.

The only "trick" is that it needs all the mods for which it's going to be responsible to be placed in the appropriate folders where it expects to find them. You can modify the default paths yourself, but I created a "\DAO-Modmanager" folder, put DAMM there, and created a "\mods" folder underneath it. Then a "\dazip" and a "\override" folder below that to store the mods themeselves.

That whole folder set could be anywhere on the drive, but I choose to put it under "\[user's documents]\Bioware\Dragon Age", just to keep all my DA mod stuff together. :thumbsup:

BTW: The author of DAMM posted a seperate "DAO-Modmanager Manual" for download.

Hiyas James, No problem! I'm glad to help out when I can :)

The instructions on DAMM are way too complicated and confusing. :confused:

Here's the simple method.

1) Download the mod to wherever it is that you download them on your hard drive. I personally use a custom folder that I save them in, on a seperate drive. So.... for example.... save the file to someplace like E:/Dragon Age Mods/NameOfMod

2) Then once I've downloaded them to their folder, I convert them to .zip if necessary by first unpacking them from the .rar or .7z file. Then right clicking on them and choosing to add them to a new archive. (The options for that vary, depending on which program you're using...winzip, winrar, 7zip, etc) and then choose to put them in a .zip file.

IF the file inside the package is not a .dazip or .override. If so, just extract/unpack them there, and then skip to #4.

3) I then right click on the new .zip file and choose "rename". I rename the extension of the file from .zip to .dazip Windows will ask you if you are sure that you want to rename it, as it could cause it to be unusable, just make sure to click Yes, or Ok.

4) After zipped, and renamed, I run DAMM. I then drag and drop (DnD) the newly renamed .dazip file into the pane of DAMM that reads "Installed Dazip's". And then let DAMM do it's thing.

For installing and configuring .override files, check this out- http://www.dragonagenexus.com/articles/article.php?id=38

its written for a mod called Natural Bodies All In One, but the principle is pretty much the same for any configurable .override file.

.zips and .dazips can already be installed by DAM. So unless you want to install a .override file, or want the extra options that DAMM offers (and being able to disable mods on the fly is AWESOME when you make new characters) then you won't need DAMM.

When you make new characters, you want to disable your mods that add items to their inventory, like rings, weapons, armor, stuff like that. Ever since patch 1.03 there's been a bug that causes those items not to load correctly. So by disabling the mods that load items, playing the character until you get to a save point, then exiting the game, and then re-enabling the mods and starting up that savegame, you eliminate the bug. ;)