[WIP] Mod Picker

TerrorFox1234

http://puu.sh/nOZUO.png

http://www.modpicker.com

Description
Mod Picker is an ongoing project to design a web application for modding similar to PCPartPicker. The goal is to help users in the building of a mod list using crowd sourced compatibility information and mods scraped from the major sites that distribute mods (Nexus Mods, Steam Workshop, Lover’s Lab).

Benefits of Using Mod Picker

• It will be easier to find mods on mod picker than it currently is on other sites due to our extensive and easy-to-use filtering system.
  • Mod Picker will have mod reviews, so you’ll be able to determine the quality of mods upon the basis of community feedback.
  • Compatibility, install order, and load order notes will help you build a compatible and stable mod list.
  • You can participate in the community by submitting reviews, compatibility notes, install order notes, and load order notes.
  • All crowd-sourced information will be weighted based on our unique and flexible reputation system. The word of people who know what they’re talking about will be worth more than the word of random users who have no standing in the community. You gain reputation from mods you’ve authored, by contributing to the site, and from other users recognizing your contributions to the community.
  • You can make your mod list public on the site, share it with your friends, or link to it for troubleshooting advice.
  • Automated download and setup of utilities and configuration files as well as assisted mod installation (you will still need to start the mod downloads yourself).

Meet the Team

Mator - Team Leader
Hi guys. You may know me from my projects Merge Plugins and Mator Smash. I enjoy developing tools for mod authors and mod users. I’m really excited to be leading the Mod Picker team in building a powerful new platform to redefine the modding experience.
Terrorfox1234 - Public Relations
Hello everyone! I am a moderator on the Skyrim modding and Fallout modding subreddits and author of the Beginner’s Guide featured on GEMS. I am always looking for new ways to contribute towards helping the community and make modding accessible to everyone. I believe Mod Picker will accomplish this in a way that nothing has before and I am thrilled to be a part of it.
ThreeTen - Developer, Designer
Hey all, my name is Grant and I am one of the UX/UI Designers on the team! I have been modding skyrim for a few years now, with mods such as Real Shelter and NPC Visual Transfer Tool. I am incredibly excited about what Mod Picker will be able to provide for modders and mod users alike; and strive to make the mod picking process as easy as possible.
Sirius - Developer, Designer
Heyyo! My name is Adam, and I’m excited to be helping out with this awesome project that the community has wanted and needed for a long long time. I’m known online as TheSiriusAdam, but other than a slightly impressive League of Legends profile there’s not much fame to my name.
Nariya - Developer
Hi I’m Nariya, I’m currently working on the backend for the Mod Picker project. I’ve been playing Skyrim on and off since release and I’m excited to contribute to a tool that will finally streamline the modding process since I usually completely uninstall my game and mods when I’m done.
Thallassa - Designer
Hi you guys, I’m a novice designer and mod user who does my best to share everything I’ve learned over the last year and a half of modding. In my limited free time I like to drink tea, knit, and listen to metal. Once in a while I even have time to launch Skyrim!
Breems - Developer
Hi, everyone! My name is Tyler, and I'm primarily working on the desktop application(s) that accompany the Mod Picker Site. After creating ENB Organizer, I was excited to find a community-driven project I could contribute to. When I'm not doing dev work I enjoy mild gaming, playing music, and trying very hard to be lazy.

FAQ

• I’m a mod author, will this drive users away from my Nexus Mods pages?
    No, we will be driving users to your mod pages. Our goal is not to supplant you or your mod pages, our goal is help users to discover your mod and learn about how to use it in a mod list (e.g. help them with finding compatibility patches). We will not be hosting your mod files, have a comments section, or a description on our site. We will be linking directly to your Nexus Mods page from our page, driving traffic to your pages and Nexus Mods.
  • Will you be hosting my mod files without permission?
    No! We will not be hosting any mod files at all! All downloads will continue to be served from the locations where you have uploaded your mod.
  • Will this replace Nexus Mods/Steam Workshop/Lover’s Lab?
    No, absolutely not. We’re being very careful to not replace functionalities from these sites. We will not be hosting or redistributing any mod files.
  • Will this offer similar functionality to LOOT?
    Most likely yes. One of the core services that Mod Picker provides is helping users build a stable mod list. Load order is a big part of that, and as such Mod Picker will have sorting functionality. Mator has talked with WrinklyNinja about LOOT, and the limitations are clear and well understood. It’s mostly a difference in philosophy in regards to the user experience for sorting a load order. We are aware of and deeply thankful for what LOOT has done for the modding community, and are hoping to build a new solution that can continue to serve users in their load order sorting needs.
  • Will this offer similar functionality to modwat.ch?
    Yes.
  • Will this offer similar functionality to STEP?
    No, this will enable the members of STEP to do what they do more efficiently, and will enable other people to do what STEP has done with minimal effort required. STEP is a guide that focuses around a specific set of recommended mods. Mod Picker is, at it’s core, a utility to make building your own mod list easier.
  • Will this replace <insert other tool or website here>?
    Probably not. Our goal is not to replace existing solutions, but to augment them. Mod Picker will work with mod managers and distribution platforms to offer users the best mod list building experience possible.
  • Will Mod Picker be open source?
    The core site won’t be, but many modules will be. E.g. Mod dump, and the automated installation script/application.
  • What games will you support?
    From day one we will support Skyrim, because it has the largest and most established modding community. Soon after we will add support for Fallout 4, and from there we will add support for Fallout New Vegas, Fallout 3, Oblivion, and (maybe) Morrowind.
  • Can anyone change the info on the site, like wikipedia?
    Users with sufficient reputation can edit contributions made by other users on the site under certain circumstances.
  • Won’t people abuse that?
    Abuse will not be tolerated. If the abuse is intentional the user may have privileges taken away or receive a temporary ban. Continued abuse will earn them a permanent ban. A public history on every post will also allow members of the community to revert undesirable changes, and members of the community can withdraw reputation from users they no longer trust.
  • What if someone submits information that is incorrect?
    We will have a system by which you will be able to submit suggestions/corrections on user contributions. These suggestions are then vetted by reputable members of the community and if a majority agreement is reached the contribution becomes open to editing by users with sufficient reputation.
  • Do mod authors have control over their mods?
    Verified mod authors are given reputation for their mods and access to control aspects of the pages associated with their mods on the site.
  • How will you verify mod authors?
    We have a plan for a system that works similar to how scraping mods works where we’ll provide you with a verification key on our site, have you post it on your profile page, and then scrape your public profile page. If we find the key in a post on your profile page your account will be verified.
  • What are you developing the site with?
    We’re using Ruby on Rails, AngularJS, and MySQL.
  • Will you offer an API?
    Yes! We will offer a full RESTful API serving up JSON that you will be able to leverage in your applications.

Development Status
Complete

• Account pages
  • Mod upload
  • Index Pages
    Articles, Mods, Plugins, Mod Lists, Users, Comments, Reviews, Compatibility Notes, Load Order Notes, Install Order Notes, and Corrections
  • User Settings page
  • Mod page
  • Edit mod page
  • User page
  • Mod List page
  • Home page
  • Help Center
  • Notifications
  • Reputation System

Active

• QA
  • Help pages
  • Moderation tools
  • DevOps & Automation

Planned

• Video tutorials
  • Public API Access
  • Mod list setup utility
  • Notification settings
  • Email notifications

Various Links

Edited by TerrorFox1234

I'm trying to work out whether anyone from your team has asked for any sort of permission to scrape the Nexus and basically circumvent our entire system for what you're proposing. Naturally, I wouldn't be best pleased if you were developing a system that made extensive use of our resources without actually registering any sort of "hit" on our site. Basically; developing a service which costs us money without putting anything back...

If that were the case, I'd certainly veto our services being used for such a thing.

"You can download any public mod list in an installable format which can be run by a script/application to download and install all tools, configuration files, and mods associated with the mod list. Mods will not be downloaded from the Mod Picker site - download will only be possible for mods which can be downloaded via NXM links."

Sorry but as a mod author I don't want my mods downloadable from anywhere but here, as in they go to my mod page and download from it. I would think most authors would agree with that sentiment. I like the idea of another STEP guide or GEMS but not if it has the ability to download without them visiting my page.

I'm trying to work out whether anyone from your team has asked for any sort of permission to scrape the Nexus and basically circumvent our entire system for what you're proposing. Naturally, I wouldn't be best pleased if you were developing a system that made extensive use of our resources without actually registering any sort of "hit" on our site. Basically; developing a service which costs us money without putting anything back...

If that were the case, I'd certainly veto our services being used for such a thing.

Dark0ne, I contacted you about scraping 26 November 2015 through the Nexus Support system. Request ID #54385. You said it would be OK.

In addition, I contacted you about OAuth on 27 November 2015. Request ID #54530.

I also requested some kind of more efficient way to get in contact with you/Nexus Staff so we could converse about these sorts of issues on 27 November 2015 through my support request about Scraping foreseeing a situation exactly like this being possible.

I have a currently open support request which I submitted 22 March 2016 about the revenue issue (request ID #62785) and would really like to discuss these sorts of things with you in private if possible. Honestly, given the nature of what me and my team are working on I think it would be best if we just exchange contact information. I don't want to get into unpleasant situations like this, and that means I really need a better way of contacting you than the Nexus support system.

"You can download any public mod list in an installable format which can be run by a script/application to download and install all tools, configuration files, and mods associated with the mod list. Mods will not be downloaded from the Mod Picker site - download will only be possible for mods which can be downloaded via NXM links."

Sorry but as a mod author I don't want my mods downloadable from anywhere but here, as in they go to my mod page and download from it. I would think most authors would agree with that sentiment. I like the idea of another STEP guide or GEMS but not if it has the ability to download without them visiting my page.

I'm sorry there was a misunderstanding, the mod would still be downloaded from the Nexus. We would not be hosting the mod files on our site in any way, the only thing we would be doing is essentially opening a "hyperlink" on the user's computer which starts the download for them. This particular feature (automated download and setup) is not actually a core part of what we're offering, it's a bonus which may (or may not) happen depending on whether or not we can devise a way for it to satisfy all parties involved (mod authors, the nexus, etc.).

Mod Picker would be a way for users to find your mod, review it, and submit compatibility notes on it. Like PCPartPicker (please do go and use that site, it'll help you understand how we're trying to fit into the ecosystem). Our system will drive users to your Nexus Mods mod page, not supplant it. The only data we'll be drawing from the Nexus is statistical data (# of unique downloads, # of endorsements, etc.). Users would be greatly encouraged to visit your mod page to read the mod description, submit comments, etc. We won't have mod comments on our site. Again, we're trying very hard to not replace existing functionalities that are available on the Nexus, only augment them.

In addition to all this, you'll be able to gain control over the pages for your mods on Mod Picker by verifying your Nexus account with us. We aren't taking away your control or your ability to manage your mods, we're creating a platform to provide more utility to mod users and a system similar to Wikipedia for reviews as well as compatibility, install order, and load order information.

Edited by matortheeternal

I see that Mator has already responded with his thoughts, and from what I understand you two are discussing things right now. I just wanted to apologize for any misunderstanding, as it seems our intent has some misconceptions around it. We hope to work with you to satisfy all parties involved (even if it means completely nixing the auto-download feature). Once you and Mator have discussed things I'll be working with him to edit the OP to make things more clear in regards to what our intentions are.

Thanks for taking the time to talk about this with us Robin, we really appreciate it.

From what I can see, this new system overly complicates the experimentation and free nature of using/ making mods, puts excessive weight on public opinion, and encourages global uniformity to a massive degree. Perhaps some like having their decisions made by others, but not I. My voice is against Mod Picker.

Hi mlee,

Congrats on the release of Aurlyn Dawnstone v2.0. I'm curious about your perspective, and was hoping you could elaborate a bit. It is not our goal to complicate or compromise the free nature of using/making mods. If you can provide some specifics I may be able to clarify about aspects of our platform.

Best Regards,

-Mator

Edited by matortheeternal

Sourcing your info/ intellect from the masses, or self-proclaimed "experts" will likely lead to only the mods that cater to the lowest common deominator ever being suggested for anyone's mod list. The reputation system is biased, and suggests that some have more of a voice/ are inherently better or more knowledgeable than others. Finally, the entire site is redundant because the modding community has ever learned through trial and error; the absolute freedom to pick any mod that catches your fancy for your mod list, and only be constrained by your maximum plugin limit/ game stability. Few, if anyone has shaped their games solely on the word of another, which seems to be the entire purpose of your site.

Also, I dislike you bringing up/ mentioning the mods I have made as part of this discussion, since this suggests that your mindset is irrevocably linked to how "valuable" someone is to the modding community when dealing with people. In fact, no clearer aspect of this could be reflected in your site.

You ask if I'm excited to surrender yet another unrelenting symbol of creativity and free thinking to the will of the masses? My answer is a resounding "No."

mlee, I thank you for the good chuckle this morning. Your profile states you have a flair for the dramatic and that certainly came through in your comment!

I will argue that your concerns have already occurred in the worst possible way... that the symbol of creativity is already fully surrendered to the drooling masses... inasmuch as that's actually possible. I will further argue that Mod Picker is actually a step in the right direction in this regard, not a step backwards as you claim.

First of all, I wonder how many modlists you've actually looked at. As a moderator of /r/skyrimmods, I've looked at thousands. The majority of modlists are composed of either what a guide told them to do, or the most endorsed mods in each category, with little creativity. Many users only download the most endorsed mods on Nexus. Even of those that dig a little deeper, the bulk of their modlist is the most endorsed mod in each category. In other words, the mods most people use are already the ones that cater to the lowest common denominator.

As far as "few people have shaped their games based on the word of another", I wonder if you've considered the popularity of the STEP guide... or any of the other of dozens of guides that people do, indeed, follow exactly to the letter. Note that the modlists I look at only come from people who are already pretty involved in the community (at least enough to post on an external forum about it). Yet even there, this is the case. I imagine the hidden masses who never post are even more likely to follow bulk endorsements or a guide to craft their modlist.

If anything, mod picker will actually improve on the situation with regards to those two concerns. By using a different measure of quality than bulk endorsements, it will allow different (and perhaps better) mods to float to the top. And by making it easier to craft a modlist using any of the mods on nexus (or steam or loverslab, in the future), it makes it easier for people to actually pick their own mods instead of following a guide.

As far as some people being more knowledgeable than others, perhaps you need to go take a look at the "stupid user comments" thread on the mod author forum. Any of the comments there would allow me to rest my case in that regard. And that's just the worst offenders! Yes, some people are more knowledgeable and valuable to this community than others. Keep in mind, we're not talking about mod authors here... the users of this website will be everyone, mod authors and users alike. I think you'll appreciate that when a user says "Aurlyn Dawnstone mod crashed my game, don't use it!" and others are able to overrule him. (What, has this not happened to you yet in your own comments? I envy you!)