Morrowind on Windows Vista

guardiandragon

I have a Compac Presario PC that came with Windows XP Media Center SP2 but included a free express upgrade to Windows Vista Home Premium.Morrowind worked greeat on XP but when I installed Vista it frezzes when I try to leve the ship at the start of the game.I already tried running in compatability mode for XP but it still freezes.I ended up restoring back to XP to be able to play Morrowind.I also have Oblivion and it works fine with XP and Vista.Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can get Morrowind to work properly on Vista?

Some games just refuse to work on Vista - that's why a lot of people avoid it. Still, there might be a fix. Have you tried applying the unofficial patch? Don't know if that would help with this or not.

Moving this to Technical Support.

Some games just refuse to work on Vista - that's why a lot of people avoid it. Still, there might be a fix. Have you tried applying the unofficial patch? Don't know if that would help with this or not.

I doubt it. But there's an 'official' Morrowind and Vista Problems thread at the official forums. Maybe you can find what you need there?

Moving this to Technical Support.

Thanks for the help.I've downloaded the Unofficial patch now and will see if it works. :happy:

I doubt it. But there's an 'official' Morrowind and Vista Problems thread at the official forums. Maybe you can find what you need there?

Thank you for the info.I'll see if I can get things to work properly. :happy:

EDIT: Merged posts. Unnecessary double post. Please use the edit button to add more to your post, thanks. ^^

- Switch

• 4 weeks later...
[...]

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can get Morrowind to work properly on Vista?

This thread alive yet?

Someone else mentioned a specific Morrowind/Vista patch by Bethesda.

Didn't work?

Case you're playing around with Vista, i assume you're well off with memory, so did you try to tweak MW's memory caches ( Interior / Exterior Cell Buffer ) ?

If not you may continue in the text:

Btw.: I'm not very hopeful that this will solve your problem, but i think it'd be worth a try and in fact you won't do anything wrong at all;

on the other hand interiors seem to work so ...

... visit your Morrowind.ini file and edit the following vars in the section [General} ( if they do not exist, add them )

[General]

[ ... ]

Exterior Cell Buffer=XXX ;; integer in Meg, but you won't name the unit

Interior Cell Buffer=YYY ;; see above

[...]

Doesn't matter if Int + Ext exceeds your physical RAM a bit: you'll be run in strange calamities when finding yourself intern and extern at the same time :)

But remember that Vistas minimum is 256M or so, so if you have 1 GB, 650 may be a good choice. You may increase this with more RAM present

On linux i had an CTD issue when crossing cell borders due to some weak memory management of Morrowind's and this helped..

As i said, it'd just be a try ;) Let us hear about your success (if any)

PS: If not, don't worry: or what advantage does Vista really bring to you ? ;-)

EDIT: Rewrote this post & hope it's more readable now ;-) LotS

I have a Compac Presario PC that came with Windows XP Media Center SP2 but included a free express upgrade to Windows Vista Home Premium.Morrowind worked greeat on XP but when I installed Vista it frezzes when I try to leve the ship at the start of the game.I already tried running in compatability mode for XP but it still freezes.I ended up restoring back to XP to be able to play Morrowind.I also have Oblivion and it works fine with XP and Vista.Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can get Morrowind to work properly on Vista?

Thanks to everyone that tried to help me resolve my issues with Morrowind not working on Windows Vista :excl: I found out what the problem was and have fixed it,no patches or backwards compatability required.Now Morrowind works on Vista just like it did on XP.As it says in my little profile window,I'm a newbie.However I learn things pretty quick.Thanks to installing mods I've learned a few things,LOL.When I upgraded to Windows Vista from Windows XP it kept all of my files from XP in an Old Windows folder.I merged the Bethesda Softworks folder in the Old Windows Program Files with the ones in Program Files and it solved all of my problems.

If anybody else has upgraded your PC from Windows XP to Vista and Morrowind is not working go to your Program Files folder then see if you have an Old Windows folder.If so then open that and go to Program files and copy your Bthesda Softworks folder with your Program Files folder.If it works properly you should be asked if you want to merge the folders,click yes.Just like installing mods for Morrowind and Oblivion.Hopefully that will fix your problems like it did with mine.

[...]

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can get Morrowind to work properly on Vista?

This thread alive yet?

Someone else mentioned a specific Morrowind/Vista patch by Bethesda.

Didn't work?

Case you're playing around with Vista, i assume you're well off with memory, so did you try to tweak MW's memory caches ( Interior / Exterior Cell Buffer ) ?

If not you may continue in the text:

Btw.: I'm not very hopeful that this will solve your problem, but i think it'd be worth a try and in fact you won't do anything wrong at all;

on the other hand interiors seem to work so ...

... visit your Morrowind.ini file and edit the following vars in the section [General} ( if they do not exist, add them )

[General]

[ ... ]

Exterior Cell Buffer=XXX ;; integer in Meg, but you won't name the unit

Interior Cell Buffer=YYY ;; see above

[...]

Doesn't matter if Int + Ext exceeds your physical RAM a bit: you'll be run in strange calamities when finding yourself intern and extern at the same time :)

But remember that Vistas minimum is 256M or so, so if you have 1 GB, 650 may be a good choice. You may increase this with more RAM present

On linux i had an CTD issue when crossing cell borders due to some weak memory management of Morrowind's and this helped..

As i said, it'd just be a try ;) Let us hear about your success (if any)

PS: If not, don't worry: or what advantage does Vista really bring to you ? ;-)

EDIT: Rewrote this post & hope it's more readable now ;-) LotS

Thanks for the suggetion.Not really into tweaking game things.Aside from adding mods anyways,LOL.I've never even opened Morrowind or Oblivions ini.'sAs for my PCs Ram I was running 512MB,2 256MB cards and Vista worked.Vista actually recommends 1GB,just like Oblivion to fully experience what it can do.They will both run but Oblivion lagged big time.Nothing worse than running and having you character freeze then start and on and on,LOL.It didn't do that on my ex wifes computer which is running 1GB ram,which is what I used to use before I got my PC.Both PCs have AMD Athlon 64 CPUs hers just had 2 times the ram.Anyways I upgraded my memory by replacing one of the memory cards with a DDR2 1 GB card.Needless to say Oblivions perfomance is awesome now,even better than on my ex wifes PC.Then I re-installed Vista and tried Morrwind with the unofficial patch,same problem as before.Well I found out what the problem was thanks to remembering what Vista said during my upgrade.It kept all of my XP stuff in an Old Windows folder with was apparently conflicting.I thought about how TESTOOL merges conflicting plugins for Morrowind and tried doing something similar with the Program Files folders and it worked.

• 6 months later...
Ok, I got Morrowind to work on Vista. I can of the boat now, but when I use the Silt Strider the game loads up and freezes up when it finnishes. Does someone knows how to get this to work?

• 4 weeks later...
Ok, I got Morrowind to work on Vista. I can of the boat now, but when I use the Silt Strider the game loads up and freezes up when it finnishes. Does someone knows how to get this to work?

i had the same prob. what i did was run the program compatability wizard and turn (off or on i cant remember just change it to the opposite) desktop decompisition and turn the reselution to (800x600 i think) i did that and it worked for me.

Archived