Wasn't Dead Money a horrible DLC?

nukafish

I liked it, the story was suitably depressing, the Villa was very atmospheric and at times terrifying.

It kept a fantatastic tension throughout the whole thing.

I didn't have much trouble with the Vault, you just need to make sure you know where all the speakers are and to shutdown the Holograms if you decide to trap Elijah down there.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can't go back, and I left all those gold bars thinking you could come back, I did like that I was somehow able to obtain two of Father Elijah's robes, and did you know he was also mentioned before the DLC came out? :)

I actually missed the gold bars =-= but Elijah is mentioned in the BoS adn in Helios if I remember it right

DM was good. Honest Hearts was better for it's themes and aesthetics, but Dead Money came in a close second. Though I guess relying solely on guns might've made it harder indeed. Throwing spears made the ghost people quite manageable though.

As for the "Let go" mantra and the whole "greed=bad" mantra... I must admit, I did enjoy flipping it off and hauling all the gold out of there. I didn't use more than maybe 2-3 bars after that, but I hauled it off just for the sake of saying "Then let me be bad."

The first time I played DM, I had hardcore mode enabled, the constantly reducing health feature of the entire SM area was possibly one of the worst features ever implemented as a game mechanic. That whole Cloud thing soured my entire experience playing through, I hated it with a passion, and when coupled with the beeping bomb collar, I couldn't stand it at all. The story was probably good, but halfway through the DLC I no longer cared for the story because the only thing I cared about was finishing the damn thing so I wouldn't have to deal with the stupid speaker shooting, the awful unkillable holograms that 1-shotted you at full health, and the damn Cloud that depleted your health even if you weren't standing the damn thing.

When I got to the gold bars I was like "f*** this, I did not just go through the last 10 hours of this crap to be denied from my loot" so I turned on noclip and walked out of there :devil:

Edited by lukertin

• 2 weeks later...

Dead Money was by far one of the better DLC's. Great character development, great story, a villian who had a main role in the Mojave (Link to the base game) excellent companions and the mood of the the game was spot on if a tad generic.

It had some fundamental flaws though. while I can appreciate the survival aspect of the DLC they changed fundamental things like not being able to use beds, no wait feature and a lot of trial and error. This makes for a frustrating experience the first and possibly 2nd time playing it. In regards to content this DLC provides quite a lot. Everything from completing the main story, find all the holodisk recipes and Dean's Stach's to name a few.

Compared with the few fetch quests and dull underdeveloped tribes of Honest Heart this is a steal.

Edited by Grandchamp1989

I LOVED IT! I liked the slight Dead Space feel of it ( dismemberement) and it was relatively easy on hardcore mode, not like some other dlcs where you could actually die often (LR/OWB) Well I cheated abit and used the fo wikia to find stuff, and I managed to bring all the gold bars out at the end using the Bullettime mod with very slow ( or was it infinite ) AP usage. though the point of the gold bars were to "teach" you to let go...which is almost impossible for all the hoarders out there ( like me! )

Oh and I didnt mind the limiters (explosive collars/loudspeakers). I just found them and blew em apart. or turned off or whatever. OR use the universal problem solver BULLETTIME

Edited by noobax

First time when i played it i hated it but that was propably because i had starting playing fallout not long ago. Second time i actually enjoyed it. It's the most challenging of the four DLCs.

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't play thru it on hardcore mode, so it was not as difficult (plus I used the tcl console command to move the cloud at times). The dark depressing atmosphere and corridor like level design made the ghost people a pretty fearsome enemy at times (thank god that I was a energy/unarmed based based character which made the Holorifle and bear-fist gauntlet very useful.) and made the first half of the DLC seem very survival horror-ish with the lack of good HP giving consumable. The story matched the mood the DLC well and made me feel sorry what happened there, even thru I couldn't "let go" and console modded my carry weight to take all the gold bars. The other characters were well fleshed out, especially Father Elijah who played a very active role , even seeming like he was always watching you.

I know the bomb collar and speaker mechanic was an interdicted part of the story, but I agree, it was annoying and I died more than a couple of times trying get out of range or find it to destroy/deactivate them.

Dean was my overall favorate character, he had funny dialog and he had the most history with Sierra Madre than the others. I loved his dialog when if you saved him and stayed on his good side, at the end when escaping to vault when he changed the static coming thru the speakers with non-bomb collar activating music.

There wasn't much in good weapons to bring back to the Mojave other than the Holorifle. As a energy based character, I was excited to finally get another good energy sniper (other than the guess rifle) and with all the mods, it pretty powerful, it my main sniper even now as I play the Lonesome Road DLC.

• 4 months later...
I'm enjoying it a lot, and if you get the perk "them's good eatin'" it makes the DLC so much easier, blood sausage and thin red paste have saved me so many times now, and that's on a character that's a very good fighter as opposed to a sneak.