Ambient music skips/jitters/hiccups

Riff1

Hey guys!

I've been having this weird problem with my music ever since I reinstalled Fallout New Vegas after about half a year of inactivity.

The ambient music skips/jitters/pops/stutters. Really bad. This doesn't happen to the radio music during normal gameplay, but does during loading screens. Reinstalling my audio drivers helped a lot, but the music is still skips and jitters when transitioning from one track to the next (ie: going from ambient "explore" music to combat, or entering new locations with different music.)

I've had this problem both in the vanilla game and modded. Uninstalling ffdshow hasn't helped. I'm at a loss here, my google research skills are failing me. Does anyone here have any ideas for solutions?

Edited by Riff1

Try defragmenting your drive. Keep using background programs to minimum. Bethesda's games have very high HDD load, especially when modded. (In other words: your disk does not keep up when game is trying to read the data). Fragmented drive makes your game crash more often.

Try defragmenting your drive. Keep using background programs to minimum. Bethesda's games have very high HDD load, especially when modded. (In other words: your disk does not keep up when game is trying to read the data). Fragmented drive makes your game crash more often.

Thanks! I've tried that, and it defineteley seemed to help, but so far nothing seems to had killed the problem entireley. I'm defineteley hearing less of it now that I've done a defrag (and made sure to keep my task manager clear of all other processes besides new vegas and steam,) so it may actually be tied to performance. Musics seems to hiccup and jitter when loading in new music, areas, or other content.

Thing is, the game performs fine (always above 30fps,) and I didn't have this problem last year. Since then, the only thing in my computer to change has been the motherboard, and I don't use the motherboard's built-in audio. I use a PCI Audigy SE sound card.

So just to update this thread in case anyone in the future has this problem: as it turns out, my solution was the opposite of what most sources recommend. Turns out, I had to re-install ffdshow (via the CCCP codec pack,) and make sure that it was ENABLED for fallout!

• 10 months later...

So just to update this thread in case anyone in the future has this problem: as it turns out, my solution was the opposite of what most sources recommend. Turns out, I had to re-install ffdshow (via the CCCP codec pack,) and make sure that it was ENABLED for fallout!

Thanks for this fix, Riff1! I tested and confirmed this fix. I had played the game for a long time without a problem, then suddenly it had the same exact problem as in this thread. ffdshow will mess up Fallout 3 like crazy, but looks like it's very well needed for New Vegas, despite other fixes saying to disable it.

EDIT: Kudos given.

Edited by Siadhail

• 4 years later...
  • 10 months later...

I'm still having this issue. I've tried installing and uninstalling both CCCP and ffdshow (incidentally, should I be using 32 bit or 64 bit ffdshow? my OS is 64 bit but NV is 32 bit afaik), added and removed NV from the ffdshow exceptions list, but no luck so far. I've been told I need to use something like this: https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/35868/? Unfortunately that particular utility doesn't work on windows 10.

Yes, because the game is 32-bit you do indeed need 32-bit tools and libraries to affect it. That's why there are two sets of each. Even though your version of Windows may be 64-bit, it also runs 32-bit programs AS 32-bit programs in a "Windows on Windows" (WoW) session. Personally I make it a habit to download and install both versions whenever I have to install/update any library or tool, so the system has whichever it needs.

Others have reported "video stuttering" to be solved by disabling Win10 "Superfetch". You might try that to see if it affects your sound issue.

We'd be interested to hear any solution. The ones we know about have already been covered in this thread.

-Dubious-

• 5 years later...

Thanks! I've tried that, and it defineteley seemed to help, but so far nothing seems to had killed the problem entireley. I'm defineteley hearing less of it now that I've done a defrag (and made sure to keep my task manager clear of all other processes besides new vegas and steam,) so it may actually be tied to performance. Musics seems to hiccup and jitter when loading in new music, areas, or other content.

Thing is, the game performs fine (always above 30fps,) and I didn't have this problem last year. Since then, the only thing in my computer to change has been the motherboard, and I don't use the motherboard's built-in audio. I use a PCI Audigy SE sound card.

THANK Y

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!! I HAVE BEEN TRYING FOR HOURS. IF YOU CONTACT ME I WILL GIVE YOU $20