First Console Game Machine

WilliamSea

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Man, this topic brings back some memories. Atari 2600 with Missile Command, Space Invaders. I even had the Chess Cartridge, and believe it or not, it had several levels of play and on the higher levels it could knock you for a loop (even though it took quite a while for it to decide a move).

WilliamSea, along this same line of nostalgia, do you remember an 8-bit & Amiga game called "Kennedy Approach" by MicroProse?

my first console was an atari2600 with adventure, and missile command. my first computer was an apple II, which I think i still have lying around somewhere.

I remember when my dad got the nintendo he got it for "himself"

the first console i bought myself was a SNES, got it right out of middle school

I knew somone who had one of those dedicated pong machines, I always thought they were cool.

My first system my family owned was a sega genesis but it wasn't MY console it was my older brothers. My first console was the PS 1 and I personally think some of the best games came from that era my personal favorites were Parasite Eve 1 and 2 (when's the next one???). I also loved Capcom's Resident Evil and Dino Crisis games.

I may be aging myself here, but my first console game machine was an Atari 2600. One of my favorite games was 'Adventure'. And just about all the 'Activision' games! :P

I am talking about the 'original' release, not the 'retro remake' of the console. This was state of the art, when the only other game machine was 'Pong'. :huh:

Nope, I got you beat, and I AM aging myself here, my first game machine was the first personal computer sold in the American Market Place. At the time I bought it the term PC or personal computer didn't exist yet, and neither did game console. Atari wasn't even an idea in some other humans' head yet either. I wish I still had it because it has historical significance. The first "home" computer that came off the production line for public sale. Yep, that's right I got the actual and real very first machine from the factory, the very first baby step in computer processor chips of that type too. Mine was the production serial number first entry, and it was bought in late 1969. The Radio Shack TRS 80, with cassette tape data storage!! The first hard drive hadn't been made yet. And yes it was a game machine. A keyboard housed motherboard, that name didn't exist yet either, it was called the main circuit board. With a seperate, monochrome monitor that would be called a 14 inch display by todays' standard.

MAF

Older than dirt and twice as ugly.

The Boserman

Oh BTW most computer history officanados have stated that the Sinclair was the very first "PC" manufactured. And unofficially that was true because many so called "geeks" in California of course, had built their own homemade computer circuits, using of all thing scavenged typewriter keys for building their first "homemade" keyboards. Their basic circuit design was what Sinclairs used, BUT. Radio Shack put the "first" factory manufactured unit up for sale in the "Public Market" before Sinclair sold their first "Public Market" unit.

For those that care you can find these true facts about home computers and their history by logging on to the Smithsonians website.

"Thanks for the memories."

...yeaaah i think you got your dates mixed up ..not too mention your facts unless you were joking

the trs 80 wasnt released till 1977

i kind of doubt you had a ddp-516 or a kitchen computer both by honeywell and from 1966 and 1969 respectivley

the first real personal compyters were the imsai 8080 and the altrai they came both in kit form and premade both date from 1975

a time when atari was already making strides

the first truly personal computer for non geeks that you could get premade with a plastic case room for automatic sanctioned expansion that didnt usually required a soldering iron a keyboard ( something the altair and the imsai lacked) and an rf modulator so it coudl be hooked up to a screen ( another thing those two lacked ) was the apple II from 1977

the apple I was stil just a breadboard where you had to add your own hardware

and the ibm 5100 might have been the worlds first portable but at 20 grand in 1975 it was anything but cheap or aimed at the home user

the whole sinclair thing sounds dubious to me

considering the imsais altair and apple II were there years before the sinclair zx80

the sinclairs only real claime to fame was the fact that it was dirt cheap compared to the others such as the trs 80 and the apple II

the zx 80 showed the world it was possible and usherd in a new era by being a 'real' computer for less then a 100 that however doesn not make it the first personal computer

the apple II was already 3 years old by the time the lisa was released and so was the apple III and countles others the ibm pc was released in 1981 as a response to apple and commodore mostly

the zx80 was a bottom of the barrel dirt cheap machine with 1k of ram 4 k rom and a membrane keyboard

2 year later commodore stepped up to the plate and did it all over again with a better machine the c64

as far as that first facotry made unit

i could have sworn the apple II came in both kit and fully assembeld form in april 1977

the tsr 80 was released in august 1977

the sinclair didnt see the light of day till 1980

make of that what you want

• 2 weeks later...