Easy trick to increase performance

Click run and then type msconfig. Disable all in startup, click the services tab and check the box that says, hide all microsoft services and select disable all and reboot. Most people probably already know about this trick, but it really helps. With my weak system I can play this game with somewhat decent settings, using this trick. Edited by Captmorgan72

There's a program called Gamebooster that does pretty much the same thing for you, and reinstates stuff afterwards. There's a free version, which is limited to one specific game, but could be worth a try.

I tried this and it worked perfectly-getting 35+ FPS on Med settings whereas before I got around 20. However, as I a new to PCs I am wondering if this will have any negative effects on the computer, or in other words will I need to re-enable all startup options in order to correctly use my computer. I bought it mainly for college and gaming is a side thing so that is the priority here.

Disable all in startup, click the services tab and check the box that says, hide all microsoft services and select disable all and reboot.

disabling all non-micosoft svc, will also disable the anti virus services...probably it would be better after gaming session it should start anti virus services again, usually doesnt need restart...anti virus is one of those softwares that making gaming will run slowly...

I call doing this to my comp putting it in game mode. After you are done playing you absolutely should type msconfig in run and select normal start up in the general tab and reboot. You don't ever want to browse the net without putting your pc back into normal mode.

Gamebooster just do not stop more than what it deem "secure" to do in the default configuration. One could configure it do stop many more services.

Anyone concerned with this kind of performance boost level should analyze the actual services running in the machine in automatic mode and actually "disable" them once and for all... you may be surprised by the number of useless if not plainly harmful services running in the machine in daily fashion.

Just be careful if doing this, each candidate to disabled service must be searched in the web for it's real worthiness and dangers, either from being active or inactive.

It's not being against the OP's suggested procedure, just it is too annoying, calling for reboot and all...

• 3 months later...