Installing Skyrim from the DVD

JimboUK

I thought it worth posting this before peoples disks start dropping through the letterbox. As we know from New Vegas having the game on DVD doesn't mean that Steam will actually use the DVD to install the game, you put the DVD in, Steam then ignores it and downloads the thing instead. This is fine for most of us but no good for those with limited bandwidth or a crappy connection.

This is how you force Steam to install from the DVD......

Using Steam launch options to install retail games from disc

*Right-click on the game, select Delete local content, and confirm.

Insert the first disc into your computer.

Close Steam (Steam > Exit).

Press Windows Key + R to open Run

In the Run window type:

"C:\Program Files\Steam\Steam.exe" -install E:

Replace E: with the CD/DVD drive you are installing from if is not correct.

Replace C:\Program Files\Steam if your Steam installation is not in the default location.

Press OK. Steam will launch and ask you to sign in if you do not have your password saved. Your installation should continue from the disc.

Okay I did exactly that except I had to do this because I'm using a 64-bit"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steam.exe" -install E: I followed the directions to the T. http://gyazo.com/4d83d6ab8362327ff5dbc367d2326707 << shows it installing from the disk... Well, when it completes, Steam still tries to download 5.1 gig's when I've installed over 5 gigs via the Disc. It even shows up in the Add or Remove Programs folder. I cannot simply download 5.1gb when I have a data plan, my boyfriend did not have this problem when he installed Skyrim from his disc, he was able to install it via the disc and play, why am I having these issues is there any way around this or any way I can actually install it from the disk? Or am I not doing something right following the above steps any help would be great thank you.

Edited by jenocide

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, thank the lord! I've been having all kinds of problems that suggest a fresh installation is in order, but I've been really unwilling to face 6-8 hours of Steam hogging all the bandwidth and throwing a fit every time my connection goes. (Joys of living in a remote rural area.)

Thank you so much!

• 2 months later...

3 years and steam is STILL doing this crap! The above actions did not work for me-I just installed via DVD for the third time, and still it wants to DL 5 GB+ of data. I deleted local content every single time. I don't know how the DL is claiming half done when all the folders are gone.... I had it working, but then I was getting a game crash, so I deleted everything for a fresh install. Suddenly the things I did yesterday to make it work are failing. SO fed up with downloading games. I miss the days when ALL you needed was a disk, and possibly a verification/install code. Why can't game publishers just let is have that? It worked, and they got their $$, which is all they care about, anyway.

• 1 month later...

Doesn't work for me either...I followed this "guide" step by step, but after downloading about 6gb from disk the installer tells me that the game is available on the steam library and lets the download from steam start...since I have a 32kb/s connection is kinda a pain in the a** for me...in fact, the installation progress is at 59% and it says it will take 18 more DAYS to complete installation :dry:

I uninstalled the game due to the fact I downloaded mod organizer and I wanted to install it in the vanilla game, so that I could have the vanilla files untouched....but at this point I'm seriously regretting it....one thing's for sure: I will NEVER buy another steam game :mad: :dry: :down:

• 2 months later...

The DVD does not have all of the latest updates - it cannot as it was made before those updates were released. Even if you do install from the DVD you will STILL need to download all of the updates from steam anyway. This is not steam's fault - it is a matter of TIME. The DVD master copy that all of the rest of the DVDs were made from was created before the updates were available and no magic is going to put those updates on that DVD. As for the brilliant suggestion of downloading from a torrent - guess what - most of those do not have the updates either - and by using the torrent to install, you LOSE the ability to update from Steam. :pinch:

You are not going to save any time by avoiding steam, it will likely take more time trying to get around using steam, and even more time when your mods crash because you don't have the latest steam supplied FREE updates.

My suggestion - try the install from DVD instructions first, THEN bite the bullet and download the updates from steam. :thumbsup:

I've been trying to install from the DVD, in case you haven't figured that out yet. But 11 gigabytes of updates is just impossible for 12 kb/s download rate. If I torrented Skyrim with all the updates and DLCs, I could get it done faster than Steam.

I've been trying to install from the DVD, in case you haven't figured that out yet. But 11 gigabytes of updates is just impossible for 12 kb/s download rate. If I torrented Skyrim with all the updates and DLCs, I could get it done faster than Steam.

Check your Settings in Steam....make sure its not capped. Steam will download and saturate my 3 MB connection more then any Torrent ever has.

Open Steam...very top bar> Steam > Settings > Downloads> make sure it say UNlimited, or set to 25 MB <<a 25 MB connection is Massive!

Double check the Server it is downloading from, it may have picked one that is close to you, but you may find a slightly farther server that is way faster.

AS stated Steam WILL saturate your download rate. You wont even be able to pull up Google!