Official Recognized Specifications & Unofficial Video Chipsets Spe

Stormcrown

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all. I haven't played Skyrim yet as I haven't had a gaming PC for a few years but I'm going to build one within the next few months. I always come to The Elder Scrolls games late anyway as I wouldn't play the vanilla games and it suits me to go in when there's loads of modding been done. Anyway...is there anything I should avoid hardware wise that Skyrim has issues with, and is there any preference for ATI or Nvidia?

I was thinking of getting a separate SSD just for Skyrim; would that benefit performance?

cheers.

Edited by Briton

SSD will only help with the loading times. But generally game might fell smoother, just because you're not waiting 15-20 seconds every time you enter a building.

And you should really get an Intel processor. That's all.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've got a MSI GT72 Dominator (not the Pro version) coming to me soon, and I'm pretty excited about the possibility of playing Skyrim with some HD textures and possibly enhanced graphics via ENBs.

I'm disappointed that I'm not seeing the Nvidia GTX 970 M (6 gigs GDDR 5) listed here yet. Does this mean I'll be the first to post how it runs?

It's an i7-4710HQ quad core with 16 gigs of DDR3 RAM and I'm guessing with the correct installs and modifications/tweaks, I should have an amazingly beautfiul game to play.

Am I deluding myself?

Update 18 Feb.

I finally got my laptop in (the first was a lemon and either the motherboard or Nvidia card failed on the first day) replaced and have spent about 2 hours exploring Skyrim so far. I've been playing with my wife's Dell Inspiron while waiting for my replacement, so I have something to compare to. The Inspiron (i7 core) has an integrated intel chip so medium graphics are all it can handle.

The difference is mind-boggling. While it remains "vanilla" at this moment (with Hearthfire, the Hi Rez DLC, and Dragonborn installed as well) I really can't believe how good it actually looks with every graphic setting set as high as possible. I didn't know until I experienced it on the Dominator that flocks of birds actually launch out of bushes when you pass by. And the night sky...! Oh man.....

So - the next step is modding the heck out of it. I'm going with the STEP guide and will report back when thing are happening.

I believe that with the GTX970 and 980M cards now available, maxed out Skryim is entirely possible on a laptop with results nearly indistinguishable when compared to a desktop. The real difference is the laptop is $500 to $2000 cheaper.

Edited by n0mad23

• 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Sorry i'm new to this site and modding, fallout 4 i figured out but i bought skyrim and am having issues with that. The Virtual Install folder bit, nothing seems to work. Keeps telling me to have it on the same HD as the usual install folder, i only have this hd.. and i didnt change it, even tried changing.. No luck. Ive looked through google and a ton of videos none which explain my problem.