Heavy Traffic ×

The Great Imperial vs. Stormcloak Debate

Xengeance

759 members have voted

1. 1. Which side will you choose?

• The Imperial Army! Slay the rebel scum!!
    • The Stormcloaks! Drive out those pompous flat-landers!!
    • Not sure. Can I support the Toast Faction instead?

I'm with the natives, over an empire in any situation. They didn't have any problems letting my Orc join them, who just wanted to smash some Imperial skulls. The beginning of the game, they accuse me of being a Stormclock and are about to behead me for it. Fine, I will let them maintain that notion, and I will make them regret that. Edited by Beriallord

• Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a bit of a hard decision, but stormcloaks is my final say.

The empire might be needed to stop the elves from invading skyrim. While it is very much of a puppet government the empire still has some control over what it does. My big issue is that most of the empire does not seem to mind being controlled by the elves.

The stormcloaks on the other hand without question have a set of morals that they believe in. They are far from corrupt. Urflic is not a good person in any way honestly, but he will rule better then what the empire can do.

It comes down to who is more likely to be able to stop the invasion of the Aldmeri Dominion. The empire does not seem very likely to turn on them. The stormcloaks will without question fight off the Aldmeri Dominion. The former supporters of the empire won't have much choice if a invasion does happen, so it will pretty much by everyone is Skyrim against them.

In short, the empire is stopping the Aldmeri Dominion from launching a attack, but I am not sure it is worth it considering they are almost entirely a puppet government.

Depends on the playthrough I decide to do.

...Will I be the first black sheep here to say that they wish they could join the Thalmor? I think it would be pretty cool to play as a high elf who gets to wage war and perform espionage and plot against both sides. :)

Of course, that would be an "evil" play through.

Otherwise, I'd go Stormcloaks.

I haven't read the whole thread, I will try to do so soon. That said I have tried on a few new games to play the Empire side and I just can't do it. Even when I am playing an Imperial. Skyrim should be ruled by the Nords, all lands should be rules by those that live there. I can't get past this even in a game it is so fundamental to me.

Haha, it does seem kind of comical to join the imperials right before they chop your head off with basically no justification.

That means they aren't perfect.. but hey.. neither of them are. I joined the imperials just because Ulfrid Stormcloak acts too greedy, like he doesn't care about the people much, just about his influence. I've never studied the game-lore so i don't know for certain, but from a playing perspective that seems like the case.

I won't mention how, as it would be considered spoilers, but I got my hands on a Thalmor Dossier on Ulfric Stormcloak. There are a few things in there that made me dislike Ulfric, but at the same time made me rally to the Stormcloaks. Apparently, the Thalmor want the civil war to last quite a while, yet a Stormcloak victory is to be avoided.

Now, this next bit is speculation at best, and since no one's ever accused me of being a military strategist, I could be flat wrong, but from my understanding of Skyrim's geography, there are two ways into the region, either by sea or by land. If by sea, then the boats have to approach from the north, and if by land, troops have to come through the one road from Cyrodil into Skyrim. If the Stormcloaks are victorious, then the ports are controlled by strict Anti-Thalmor troops, and the road to Cyrodill would be guarded as well.

When the Thalmor invaded the Empire the first time, they seem to have done it exclusively by land, after building up their control of the surrounding provinces. I haven't been able to find any info on specific battles or strategies, so this is my best guess. Since it seems that most of the Thalmor's military power is from their control of magic, an ocean offensive probably wasn't the way to go, and things probably haven't changed in the 30 years since the war.

I should probably cut this off before it turns into a post about how to defeat a Thalmor invasion of Skyrim and theories on Thalmor battle strategies, but sufficed to say I think that the 'Bad Guys' are the Thalmor, the Stormcloaks winning is bad for them, and thus - I vote yay.

The Toast Faction, toast is powerful you know. I don't support the Imperials because I hate their guards, they would always catch me stealing stuff in Oblivion. I don't like the Stormcloaks either because Ulfrick is arrogant, I came out of helgen alive, and I need to prove that I'm a capable fighter so he sends me to the middle of nowhere to kill an Ice Wraight. When I took all that into consideration... Long live the Toast King.