At random moments (can take longer than other times) my Skyrim crashes my computer. I get a black screen, my monitors light turns orange (no more video card feed) and my music hangs. I have to manually shut down the PC and restart.
Does anyone else have this problem?
I'm running windows 7 64 bit with crossfired Radeon HD 6870. Installed latest ATI drivers.
I tried disabling crossfire but I still got a crash. I tried running older catalyst drivers but still a crash.
EDIT: Small list of what's been discussed in the topic (bit adjusted list from what Thelarsen posted in this thread):
The error occurs on:
- 32 and 64bit systems
- ATI and Nvidia systems
- Desktop and mobile systems
- AMD and Intel systems
- Happens on retail or pirated Skyrim
- Not reproducible, happens totally random in different locations and on all software settings from Skyrim, can occur more often outdoors than indoors.
- Things that ppl try and don't help it much: formatting, driver adaption, turning off crossfire, lowering graphics (although for some people this may help) or any change to graphics (like turning off AA), windowed mode, adjusting sound settings to 44100, turning off background apps, underclocking video card (although seems to help for some?), changing catalyst AI to "high quality" and unchecking surface format optimization, using a program to make Skyrim use more than 2GB RAM, putting maximum processor usage on 70%, using the fix at http://forums.bethso...fficial-bugfix/ may have helped some not all.
- Many people seem to think it's the video card overheating and being overused while not necessary, making the video card crash. However underclocking, lowering settings to minimum and other such fixes doesn't help everyone. Some people get the crash even when their card isn't at dangerous temperature levels anyway.
- pretty much nothing seems to fully fix the problem
Edited by Zolexus, 24 November 2011 - 01:18 PM.