Skyrim complete PC crashes

Zolexus

Ok so I've found another thing that just MIGHT help with this problem.

So far I've used it and the game didn't crash yet, you might check it out. Maybe it will help.

, so basically I've downloaded the file, inserted it in Skyrim dir, launched the game and played for about 2-3h with no crashes occurring.

Though I must admit that Bethesda could do something about it, i'm fed up with the issue. If the game will crash now I'm gonna delete Skyrim and it will way for better times...

Interesting.....anyone else confirm if this worked for them?

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok so I've found another thing that just MIGHT help with this problem.

So far I've used it and the game didn't crash yet, you might check it out. Maybe it will help.

, so basically I've downloaded the file, inserted it in Skyrim dir, launched the game and played for about 2-3h with no crashes occurring.

Though I must admit that Bethesda could do something about it, i'm fed up with the issue. If the game will crash now I'm gonna delete Skyrim and it will way for better times...

Interesting.....anyone else confirm if this worked for them?

If I remember correctly, this fix was introduced a couple months ago and worked for some people. Didn't work for others (including me).

Will try the ENB patch...

Guys, give this patch a shot.

So far I have had good results, but it has only been a few hours.

http://enbdev.com/patch_tesskyrim_antifreeze_v0096.htm

I was able to pinpoint a repeatable crash with a save file in dragonsreach. I would load the save file and walk out to whiter un and consistently crash the whole system. I just tried it with th enbdev patch and IT DIDN'T CRASH. So this is what progress feels like....

I solved the problem. By the Nine I solved it!

I got Skyrim a while ago and for a long time it worked fine, and then for no reason the breakdowns started (I haven't installed any new mods, patches nor have I changed any settings). The graphic cards seems to shut down, screen goes black and reports no input data, sound starts to glitch and the whole PC dies with the only option leaving hard reset. First I thought that it was the graphic card malfunction but with a bit of googling I found this forum topic and saw that many others had the same problem and that it is probably caused by the incompatibility with the Raden graphic cards. I gave up on Skyrim til a patch that fixes the issue comes out and got Saint's Row The Third. But soon I experienced the same problem. Graphic card shuts down few hours after playing, every time.

This time I was sure that my graphic card was faulty and I was almost ready to take it to the shop, but in the meantime I asked around on forums about a possible solution and someone suggested increasing the graphic card fan speed to 100% via MSI Afterburner program. I tried it... and IT WORKED!!! Both Skyrim and Saint's Row now work perfectly, even on the highest settings! The fan is a lot nosier of course, and I think that the case is heating up more but both the core and the GPU temperatures are fine and well within normal.

So this is a possible solution, I'd advise you to try it and see if it works for you too. But the question is.. what was the problem in the first place??

Anyone tried to underclock the memory clock of the gpu??? I had the same problem as anyone here and l tries the underclock by luck and guess what i play SKYRIM fine for 3 months now without bsod and i am lvl 67 with over 120 hours in the game and i have installed the high resolution pack from beth without problem...But i am curious as anyone else so i emailed amd ( i have hd 6770) and they gave me 20 questions to answer about my pc behaviour for example what is my psu wattage or if i have problems with other programs etc and the asked for my dxdiag and Belarc advisor system report, i gave the answers and the files and they answered me this:

Dear George,

Your service request : SR #{ticketno:[8200475769]} has been reviewed and updated.

Response and Service Request History:

I understand that your system crashes when you run skyrim on it.Downclocking the card is helping to run the game fine.

We are going to have 12.2 pre-certified drivers release by later today so you can try that to see if that works fine.

Note: If AMD does not get a response back from you in 10 days, the ticket will be closed,and you will need to open a new ticket if your issue is not yet resolved

In order to update this service request, please respond, leaving the service request reference intact.

Best regards,

AMD Global Customer Care

I want to add they answered very quick contrary to bethesda

So i don't think it is hardware problem because this happens in skyrim i will give a list of the demanding games i have played without any problem ever with my card

tes vi oblivion finished

mass effect 1 and 2 finished

dragon age 1 and 2 finished

pro evolution soccer 2011 and 2012

witcher 2

assasin's creed revelations

gta iv finished

saints row 3

battlefield 3

and many others less demanding

You know I have been reading all the posts on the crashing problem with Skyrim. First of all if you were not having any problems with the 1.3 patch and after installing the 1.4 patch things started going down hill, then the problem is with the 1.4 patch not your system. The 1.4 patch has broken some games and had no effect on others. That leads me to believe that those that installed mods that made serious changes to their Skyrim. ini can attribute many of the problems to that as well. But, I still say the biggest problem lies with the new patch. I am still running 1.3 with no problems at all and have no plans to install 1.4 so that I can go thru the frustrations many players are experiencing since installing the new patch. Remember the 1.4 patch did not only fix some broken quest issues. If it had then I feel no one would be having problems. However, the new patch also made changes on how the game addressed and utilized memory and graphics and that can cause serious problems for some users. Best advice I can give is try to roll back to 1.3 until a better patch is released and then stay in Stream offline mode to play the game.

This.

I was suffering from black screen freeze too, and miraculously boba321471 solution solved it - http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=28845773&postcount=94

Sadly, I then installed 1.4 and black freeze returned, max 15 min of gameplay. So I've reinstalled (preserving saves ofc) and reverted to patch 1.3. The result was ok (one crash every 3-4 hours of game, acceptable).

FInally, I've bought myself a new card and upgraded from 512MB 9600GT to 1GB GTX 560. Since then I'm playing on 1.4, with a bunch of mods on and not a single crash in sight! I guess cleaning the interior of my PC case from dust could help too ^^

I'm a happy bunny now and enjoy the game. I'm actually surprised since I hate Bethe$da with fashion, and every single one of their products (not games, just products) after Daggerfall sucked big time. Don't even want to go into Failout 3 case here. And now, all of a sudden I'm playing Skyrim and I really enjoy it! It is simplified and consolized. But you know, back when I was a kid there were those board games like Talisman (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talisman_%28board_game%29). I have a similar feeling playing Skyrim now - the world is full of adventures, and unknown can completely turn your gameplay around (like there's always a cave, or ruins, or something while you're travelling to point A, very often detracting you from your goal). There's a lot of hack&slash, a lot to simply watch and admire the view as well as selling, listening and questing. 48th level now, still fun.

I have some more progress - I have a save game that consistently crashes. It's in Dragonsreach and when I exit the front door, the loading screen happens and before it shows the world again, it crashes the whole computer: monitor signal disappears, sound loops, system crashed - have to power off manually.

I tried several iterations:

* Move video card around

* Add/remove sound card

* Unfavorite all spells

* Unfavorite all weapons

* Remove all armor/weapons

The last three did it - I was able to get past the front door after I un-favorited all the spells. I also removed all weapons and armor. I suspect I have some item in my inventory that the game freaks out on.

If anyone wants to try my save game (it's about 9MB), let me know via private message and I'll email it (or make it available) for you to download and run to see if it crashes on your system.

I got Skyrim a while ago and for a long time it worked fine, and then for no reason the breakdowns started (I haven't installed any new mods, patches nor have I changed any settings). The graphic cards seems to shut down, screen goes black and reports no input data, sound starts to glitch and the whole PC dies with the only option leaving hard reset. First I thought that it was the graphic card malfunction but with a bit of googling I found this forum topic and saw that many others had the same problem and that it is probably caused by the incompatibility with the Raden graphic cards. I gave up on Skyrim til a patch that fixes the issue comes out and got Saint's Row The Third. But soon I experienced the same problem. Graphic card shuts down few hours after playing, every time.

This time I was sure that my graphic card was faulty and I was almost ready to take it to the shop, but in the meantime I asked around on forums about a possible solution and someone suggested increasing the graphic card fan speed to 100% via MSI Afterburner program. I tried it... and IT WORKED!!! Both Skyrim and Saint's Row now work perfectly, even on the highest settings! The fan is a lot nosier of course, and I think that the case is heating up more but both the core and the GPU temperatures are fine and well within normal.

So this is a possible solution, I'd advise you to try it and see if it works for you too. But the question is.. what was the problem in the first place??

Ill give it a shot but can't it damage the GPU? Isn't it risky?

Ill give it a shot but can't it damage the GPU? Isn't it risky?

Nah, I checked and double-checked. The only negative side effect is the graphic card being noisier.