no skyrim/data in installation folder. how to mod?

shintei

I have a weird problem... to install and use any mod you need to put the mod files into Skyrim/data folder...

BUT in my installation folder I have no oblivion folder... no data folder... no textures meshes and all other...

I'm very familiar with oblivion modding and from what I've seen here on skyrim nexus modding skyrim is pretty much the same...

what I did wrong? where is my skyrim/data folder? all I have in my installation folder is a lot of steam crap...

anyone else has the same or similar problem?

thank you... I never used steam before and the whole thing is amazingly stupid and pointless...

thanks again and I believe this topic can be closed now...

Not sure what you were discussing when you said, "stupid and pointless". :confused:

Steam? Your Topic?

Neither are such, I think.

Others may have the same question, so your query and the response are valuable. And using a widely-accepted, well-tested digital distribution mechanism as a means of:

a) Coordinating the release

b) Providing an automatic patching/updating channel

c) Combatting piracy

seems reasonable to me as well.

Not sure what you were discussing when you said, "stupid and pointless". :confused:

Steam? Your Topic?

Neither are such, I think.

Others may have the same question, so your query and the response are valuable. And using a widely-accepted, well-tested digital distribution mechanism as a means of:

a) Coordinating the release

b) Providing an automatic patching/updating channel

c) Combatting piracy

seems reasonable to me as well.

d) Allow possible unrestricted access to your computer, or have your credit card data get stolen if Steam gets hacked (which they just did - http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/technology/steam-hack-confirmed-by-valve-game-company/2011/11/11/gIQAfw3FCN_story.html)

Sorry, Steam is a HUGE security hole.

Sorry, Steam is a HUGE security hole.

Only a problem if you give them anything. Steam has a username, and an email address for me. That's it. No need to provide anything else. If I want to purchase from Steam, I use PayPal. That way there's nothing stored in Valve's servers to get worried about, (unless you use the same username and password everywhere, but that's your choice as well.) :thumbsup:

so all my other steam games are under steam/steamapps/common, but skyrim isn't there. The game is installed and works so the files must be somewhere, but I just find them at all, even with a system search. and steam doesn't combat piracy, just as install keys don't, or cd-checks for that matter. they just annoy legit users.

• 4 weeks later...