Skyrim closes w/no error or CTD

Dilir79

Yup, it certainly is a game issue, has nothing to do with drivers or hardware. Well there might be a hardware conflict, or SOMETHING that makes some people crash and not others, but it's not drivers 100%. Makes no sense if it was, both ATi and Nvidia have the problem and at the same time don't have the problem.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Three times for me as well (out of @20 hrs. of gameplay.) Twice when I exited a town gate at the same time as a NPC and once at the scripted area near the farm where the Companions are fighting the giant while an NPC was forced to switch from his random dialogue to the warning dialogue in mid-sentence. None were repeatable after reverting to a previous save so I think it's just a scripting conflict.

I may have found a fix for the CTD's. I had the same problem only it got worse as time went on from cdt's evey hour to every five minutes. After trying this i have had the game running for nine hours now and no crashing or graphic gliches, so here goes. Just go to your skyrim folder and right click on the TESV program choose run as administrator and the program will run without steam lurking in the background (Which i think is what's causing the problems). The only downside to this is that you wont get any steam achievements, but i think thats a small price to pay for a working game. Oh in case it makes a differance i am using windows 7 64bit, but i believe that it is a problem with whatever steams is doing in the background or it could be the skyrim launcher, either way i hope it works for you too. GOODLUCK.

I have had this happen 4 times in about 20 hours (twice in 12hrs straight) every time it was because of steam, with random advertising and messages popping up in game. I have turned off every message option I can find, it hasn't happened since.

You may want to run a virus scan, Steam does not pop up ads during games.

The ads come up after it crashes. The messages are "steam community" messages, they pop up in the bottom right hand corner of the screen. They have always been there, they used to pop up on my old pc, playing HL2. The other messages were something to do with steam's forum being back up, and 1 was steam doing an update.

Since I turned all the messages off I have had a few crashes, mostly when finishing alchemy in Whiterun and exiting/fast travel to random locations.

Happened to me first time after 5 hours of playtime.

Happened again after another 3-4 hours. >.<

Game is awesome, but this is just annoying! (/>.<)/ <(F**K)

Since I turned all the messages off I have had a few crashes, mostly when finishing alchemy in Whiterun and exiting/fast travel to random locations

This is starting to sound familiar. Hmmm! I haven't actually played the game yet as Amazon were sluggish in getting my pre-order out to me, so I'm still waiting to play, but I bet these random CTDs are someting to do with the in-game auto save feature. Try disabling the "save on rest", "save on wait", and "save on fast travel" options in the settings menu. It's just a thought. That used to fix those annoying CTDs is Fallout3, FNV, & Oblivion...

Purple Textures are missing textures, so another way around this might be to extract all the contents from the *.bsa files and copy them to respective folders: Textures, Meshes, et cetera. I can't say it'll work for sure but they used to work in the past.

4GB enabler too! Can't believe we're still having this problem though. Maybe Bethesda should pass their coding to Valve just before release so that they can check for errors, haha. I've never had a Valve game crash on me and they always ran like a dream ;)