Skyrim closes w/no error or CTD

Dilir79

I used to have this but I download "large address aware" http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112556 and seems to have fixed the problem.

Just follow the instructions, but place the tesv.exe in the program not the tesvlauncher.exe.

Hope this helps.

Extremely helpful, thanks a lot.

I started having this issue the other night and thought perhaps it was due to my own improper installation of incompatible mods, so I reinstalled Skyrim fresh and it ran fine for a couple of hours. This morning, I crashed after about an hour, then again after about 10 minutes, then again after 2 minutes. So I went searching and found this thread and your post in particular. I downloaded it and set TESV.exe to LAA and I've been able to play just fine, with mods installed, for about 2-3 hours straight now.

I recommend trying this for anyone who still has this issue (note: this is not necessarily the same issue that people have that CTD immediately when they launch the game, but rather one due to high memory usage over longer periods of play), as it definitely seems to have worked for me. Thanks again.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My game has always crased when fast traveling. It now does it almost on a frequent basis to the point that I cant even play my game any more. I tried everything and nothing works. I presently have Nvidia drivers 285.79 installed. I am wondering if it is a driver issue.

Ever since I've switched from the 285.38 to the 285.62 it has CTD on every single fast travel. I cant play the game at all. I might roll back to see if that helps.

Btw the only mods I have are texture mods. I thought LAA would help but hasnt so far.

Basic specs:

AMD Phenom II X4

EVGA Superclocked GTX570

8GB Ripjaws

Windows 7 64 bit

Edited by HesterDW

• 1 month later...

damn that 1.4 patch ... you know I didn't have one fraking ctd on my first play thru running the 1.1 build ... now after I patched up date I get them every time I fast travel, transition to an interior cell, use magic or ride a horse to a certain spot on the road... this is unacceptable and I'm fraking pissed.

okay now that I got that out of my system ... is there a fix or is it my combination of mods ... which is pretty much the same as my first play except for a few new ones ... but they are minor ones that should not be crashing me ... BOSS did not detect any errors on them.

HELP!!

Edited it to say that LAA does not support 1.4, but when I disabled it & reverted everything back to vanilla it still doesn't help with the crashes, even when I started a new game. A lot of people are saying that 1.4 caused a memory leak in the game when it was suppose to make it work with LAA ... this sucks ... I can't even play for 10 minutes without it crashing!

Edited by alienzerox

ah,something unofficial. But for what? Isn't that what Patch 1.3.10 is supposed to do?

I updated to 1.3.10 and all of a sudden I kept on getting no error ctds, when I was still running 1.1 I was able to play thru the whole game without any crashes. So being frustrated I did a search and found that 1.3.10 was causing a memory leak in the game, which kinda makes sense since it was designed to make Skyrim work with the Large Address Aware Mod, but somehow they messed it all up. 1.3.10 & 1.4 skse is needed to run SkyUI which was the main reason I needed to patch up to date, I wasn't able to rotate & view my items in inventory ... SkyUI fixed that for me so it was essential for me to have.

But the patch caused the no error ctd problem which makes my game sorta un-playable ... I would crash on transition from inner cell to outer cell [companion HQ], crash if I fast travel, crash while riding a horse on certain stretches of roads and the deal breaker was that I would crash while engaged in battle with a dragon.

I disabled auto-save, lowered my resolution & put my audio down to 16 @ 44 but still if I did anything that raised my RAM to 80% it would ctd me.

So, hence the rant in my first post on this thread, bottomline is that 1.3.10 screwed up my game & 1.4 fix did not help.

• 1 month later...
Same has happend to me. I downloaded a few mods because I never understood how to install mods and I finally got how to do it and then after a while...crashes! I was so angry! I have it on PS3 but I want mods. I have Windows 7, 64 bit.

• 1 month later...

for me, whenever i start to see purple textures or missing textures on things like npcs, armor, clothing, buildings, etc., these are warning signs that the game is about to crash. initially i assumed perhaps the mods i have are causing these issues. so i spent a lot of time going through the 30 something mods i had installed to try to pinpoint the problem. nothing came up.

so i did a bit of searching and i found this solution that someone else posted. it has to do with modifying the SkyrimPrefs.ini file found in C:\[...]\Documents\My Games\Skyrim\ folder. find iTexMipMapSkip and change the value to 1.

[Display]

iTexMipMapSkip=0

iTexMipMapSkip=1

this solution, although did not completely fixed the issues i was having but now i can play hours on end and have not seen purple textures any more. the ctds still occurs but much less now. may be 1-2 ctds within 3-4 hours session. i don't know what iTexMipMapSkip does for the game but i haven't seen anything out of the ordinary. hopefully this solution helps you as well.