Skyrim and Linux

baltodog

It's possible with wine, I wouldn't expect anything to run smoothly yet though. Someone has managed to get it running somewhat decently as evidenced in this video:

It's cool if you don't like Windows, but try and make sense if you feel the need to bash it. Windows fits the definition of an Operating System in every way imaginable. A gamer's console would be an Xbox or PS3. Both of those have legitimate operating systems as well, though they are definitely tailored more toward gaming compared to Windows which is completely intended to be a standard OS for general use like Ubuntu Linux or Mac OS.

• 2 weeks later...

c/p from another thread:

Initially i had less trouble getting it running on linux/wine than Win7.

install steam first with winetools.

since the patch/pushes it has become more unstable on Linux.

I installed the 4gbskyrim mod which did wonders for it in windows and wish there was something like that to help in Wine.

My Asus has a dedicated 2048 mb of video ram, and up to 4096 shared.

I tried adding that with regedit, but it didn't seem to change much.

it still runs, but save and save often.

• 1 year later...

Hey I love Linux but Windows is a OS. Anyone that says that is insane. I bleed Linux last time I even touched a Windows OS was when I got a brand new Windows 95 back in 96. Great OS but I was quick at dropping it for Slack. Never went back no fault on Windows. Yes it handled like crap some years like Me, 98, and Vistagate. Not saying 98 was terrible, please no but I believe in my personal opinion 95 was the year. Vista was my favorite OS cause so many users actually went to Linux. Actually IMHO Ubuntu was s#*! before Vista. As I hate unity for personal reasons but Gnome wasn't broke didn't see why fix it. Just improve it. Many can say that's what Unity just as I could agree but I also disagree. Unity is Gnome 3 based. Vista users doing a switch gave Ubuntu community a huge boost and even made it better. Ubuntu I remember a day the installer was complete crap. Manual terminal install was the best way to install Ubuntu. Now it's like installing Windows easy. I repeat I haven't touched Windows 8 or 7 even Vista. So I can't even judge but know what facts speak of later Windows OS. Windows users I have to thank for a better Linux community. So I as a pure Linux user don't share the same thoughts of others.

Now as I have converted many Windows user to Linux. Would love to see Linux crush Windows. But at the same token, would like to see users of Windows receive the same rights to security. Which MS has lacked in, that Unix, Linux and Mac have Triumph in. That's not personal opinion that's fact. But Linux is still so far off as the rest. Linux has its downsides Linus is one. And I'm a fan of Linus he's a genius at the same hat a prick. Now excuse my grammar whatever else yes I suck at English. I believe Linux user need to show a little respect for Windows users. Let us Linux users focus on "WHY ARE GAME DEVELOPERS SAYING F**K Y** TO LINUX?". We have money too!