Esbern wont open the door.

Tarm

This one worked a treat for me

'There is another potential solution. Find your,

...Documments/My Games/Skyrim folder, or wherever your Saves are kept, and delete the Skyrim.ini and SkyrimPrefs.ini files. When you then start up the game again, it will restore the files to their original(and hopefully correct) version which will restore 'ol Esbern's speech and let you continue with your lives.

I can't guarantee that it will work for everyone, but it did for me and it's a lot easier than doing what this guide here proposes - it also won't cause any potential harm other than resetting your settings.

Good luck, hopefully the CS will be out soon and all our troubles can be tackled by our zealous modding community!'

http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=575

Just save before you reach his door and keep the old files somewhere safe.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I was passed his creepy dor easyly BUT after that (no voice, of course...) I was stuck with Esbern on peace summit on High hrotgar .....everybody said ther lines on time and all, but ESBERN was acting FISH! Silence was endless. I was waitin' and waitin'.....at last I go out of the game and start new charater. After 22 lvl-s with my first hero. I was near to heartattack and crushing my PC. But, it is allways another day! :) and brand new hero...all over again. Ehhh

• 3 weeks later...

Deleting the skyrim.ini and skyrimPrefs.ini fixed it for me, as well as many other buggy problems i found in the game. Thanks:)

PS: If your loading times when loading a save file are extremely long this fix actually fixed that for me as well, and if your data files option wasn't showing this did it!:), even if you fixed it using the sound thing i recommend doing this anyways as you will see many minor bugs disappear as well.

• 1 year later...