Skyrim Fix random crash to desktop no error

Mizogucci

Not sure if this Fix is for everyone but it seems to be a re-occurring issue with Bethesda's games. The random CTD is more than likely being caused by something called "ffdshow" which will be in the all programs section of your start menu. From there you will want to open up both the ffdshow audio decoder and the ffdshow video decoder, they'll both look the exact same once they are open aside from what they are. Go into the DirectShow control section (Again on both of them) check off the "Don't use ffdshow in" checkbox and add the exe file for skyrim in the given line ( It should look like this SkyrimLauncher.exe;TESV.exe;), I also added the launcher exe for skyrim just because I like being cautious. Then hit apply and close the windows, Skyrim should now run without the completely random CTD's anymore. At the very least mine doesn't anymore, though don't give items to people if you have them equiped yourself because that causes ctd's apparently. Doing that has fixed the random, no error ctd issues I had when playing Oblivion, Fallout 3, and Fallout: New Vegas.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used this and the problem went away http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=202

I had this exact issue and using the large address awareness patch did NOT fix the problem however re-running the launcher setup and setting shadows to LOW did seem to resolve the issue. Note that I turned up all the other settings and had no problems. Only altering the shadow numbers (tried various tweaks people were suggesting for better shadows) caused my random crashing and occasional bluescreen.

It may require BOTH setting shadows to low and enabling the 2GB RAM patch not sure...

(patch is same one others have posted located here -> http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=134 ).

EDIT - random crashing has returned :( Fortunately it is much, much less often now. I also seem to be getting occasional BSOD bluescreens when quitting other games so this seems like for me it is a hardware issue not software. sigh.

Oh well I would still recommend lowering shadows, lowering sound quality and installing the large address patch if you are having this problem.

Edited by jvarnes

I've been having the same issues. It wasn't until recently that I visited Bone Chill Pass that I consistently CTD'd. I changed my aspect ratio because I noticed it wasn't set to what I normally have it as...afterwards, it played through the instance just fine. Hopefully the random CTD's are gone. Just thought I'd share my current fix.

• 4 weeks later...

Uh yeah. I have a problem similar to you all but it will happen when I fast travel some times and randomly when I'm walking. i have tried changing the shadows down to low and the audio to 24bit/44100hz and I still get crashes. PLEASE HELP

I also have all the lateset drivers for my Nvidia Geforce GTX 460 super overclocked edition. Along with my Windows 7 32 bit.

This started just a little bit ago when I added some mods using the Nexus Mod Manager. I'm going to check my setting to lower shadows as one of my mods was Skyrim HD

Adjusted setting to low and that fixed it. I'll play around with it and see how much I can add before it kicks back to desktop again.

Edited by sixthpilgrimage2149

• 2 weeks later...

Crash to desktop upon fast travel, saving, exiting a city or level/cave. II just started getting this problem in the last week. I have turned off all mods, reinstalled, verified game cache, used low settings ect... to no avail. So frustrating I have all but abandoned playing this game. No sooner do I start a campaign or quest and get into it, the game crashes and I am left cussing because i forgot to save (or I am afraid to save because it will crash). Very frustrating. I had similar issues with oblivion, but it was never this bad.

I almost forgot to add- these crashes happen at a higher rate around Whiterun for some reason, especially upon fast traveling to/from there and leaving the city.

Edited by am1590

If you want my 2p, the CTDs are nothing at all to do with ffdshow. Nor any shadow setting that you haven't unwisely tweaked.

If you don't want my 2p, then CTDs are still nothing to do with ffdshow, nor any shadow setting you haven't unwisely tweaked.

Most likely it's mod you've installed or tweak you've made. Especially mods that you can't disable e.g. in NMM, because you dropped a few files deep inside the directory structure. That's what my problem was. Once I got rid of a texture mod and the FXAA injector my 1.3.10 game ran rock solid where previously it would crash at every save - auto (fast travel, wait, transition etc) or manual.

If you are plagued with CTDs do a CLEAN reinstall, add tweaks cautiously and test, add mods only via NMM (except SKSE and ScriptDragon themselves which are rock solid) and be selective about whose mods you use - be cautious if it's from a 12yo who wants a rainbow coloured glass sword or some other worthless eye-candy. Steer clear of fancy high-risk tweaks like ugridstoload etc too.