103 replies to this topic

HawkFest

HawkFest

Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Why must I login to the Nexus Website?

You can't download files bigger than 2MB if you are not logged in.

What if I want to download mods from somewhere else, will I still be able to use NMM so as to manage these mods but without having to log into the Nexus Web Site ? I understand that currently, NMM is closely tied with the Nexus Web site : the current version won't allow for any offl-Nexus management of mods (one must be logged into the Nexus - and thus have an account - for using NMM from what I've read), but that's ok with me in the short term while in beta (for how long?)..

Something else : after installing and specifying mods and install info folders, NMM tries to check for updates, however it can't do it. I get this error message : Nexus mod manager updater: Could not get version information from the update server .

BAPACop

BAPACop

Journeyman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

What if I want to download mods from somewhere else, will I still be able to use NMM so as to manage these mods but without having to log into the Nexus Web Site ? I understand that currently, NMM is closely tied with the Nexus Web site : the current version won't allow for any offl-Nexus management of mods (one must be logged into the Nexus - and thus have an account - for using NMM from what I've read), but that's ok with me in the short term while in beta (for how long?)..

Something else : after installing and specifying mods and install info folders, NMM tries to check for updates, however it can't do it. I get this error message : Nexus mod manager updater: Could not get version information from the update server .

Yes, you can still manage non-Nexus mods.

As a side note, why do you need to be logged in to NMM? I understand you say it's to download 2MB+ files, but why not just hide the link on the website for people who aren't logged in? That way you would still limit 2MB+ files to members, and no one would be complaining about having to login to the program.

Dark0ne

Dark0ne

Webmaster

• Admin
  • 16,823 posts

As a side note, why do you need to be logged in to NMM? I understand you say it's to download 2MB+ files, but why not just hide the link on the website for people who aren't logged in? That way you would still limit 2MB+ files to members, and no one would be complaining about having to login to the program.

Because then someone could just provide unregistered members with a download link and it would circumvent our login system, allowing them to download 2mb+ files without being logged in.

We are working on an offline mode, it's just not going to be ready for a little while yet.

tortured Tomato

tortured Tomato

Nightshade Mutant

• Supporter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,131 posts
Are there plans to implement a bsa browser / extractor and can we expect sth like this soon?

MyGoodEye

MyGoodEye

Bringer of Light and Death

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,473 posts
Finally had a chance to try the NMM and I must say, looks decent so far, but I have to chime in on the LOGIN thing.

You ask the general question "why don't I want to log in?"

I answer:

I don't mind logging in, but:

A - I do absolutely not want to manually key it in every time I start the game. On the assumption that I will be modding, that means I start the game A SH*TLOAD of times on any given day and logging in every time will drive me immediately batsh*t.

B - Just now I tried NMM four times. 3 times it could not connect. This, I suspect is due to traffic (good for you!) - since it's quitting-time here on the East Coast of the US I bet there's a bunch of mod-hungry gamers rushing to their keyboards to see how many new versions of FXAA Injector came out today - but I'm already "over" trying to use NMM and I can only imagine my mounting frustration as I try out my new, uber-cool mod only to be held up trying to connect to the ever-popular Nexus.

C - Y'know, nothing for nothing, but sometimes I'm just not well-connected to the internet. So I can't play in a hotel with shoddy wireless (for instance)?

So then... suggestions you say? Because bitching is only useful if there's some constructive critism...

Sure, I've got some suggestions:

A - An option to have NMM remember my login/password info and if I've selected it, in order to quietly go about logging in without interrupting my mod-mojo ;)

B - Let NMM start up the game (at least) whether or not login is successful. If it's unsuccessful, have it retry in the background. If it fails after 10X tries, have it say so. Otherwise, even unconnected, let me play, please.

Thanks for NMM though... should be aces.

- David (MGE/MyGoodEye)

Edited by MGE, 18 November 2011 - 12:43 AM.

TheRomans

TheRomans

Curmudgeon Deluxe

• Premium Member
  • 1,642 posts
RE migrating from OBMM to NMM
can the NMM read OMOD format/files and thus I could just get it to install OMODs from a folder, or would I have to extract the files from each OMOD to a folder or archive before uninstalling OBMM?

The one process may be feasible with over 100 mods, but not the other.

Dark0ne

Dark0ne

Webmaster

• Admin
  • 16,823 posts

An option to have NMM remember my login/password info and if I've selected it, in order to quietly go about logging in without interrupting my mod-mojo

NMM does already do this. When you login there's an option to save your login so you don't need to do it every time! Have people not seen this? :X

The other stuff...YEP! That's the plan :)

MyGoodEye

MyGoodEye

Bringer of Light and Death

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,473 posts
Hey Dark0ne:

Ha! Well, maybe I'm missing something but I didn't, and still don't see that option.

What I DO see is and option to STAY LOGGED IN, under which it says : Staying logged in will NOT store your password.

So, okay, I check that and all's good for awhile until I restart the NMM and it fails to connect (two times it failed - again, probably traffic)...

And then, it asks me again for my password.

Second scenario, I restarted my machine and there's that damn password again... it's obvious that I can't stay logged in when my computer shuts off, but I would love to never have to enter my password again after the first time - under any circumstance, online or off, after restart or otherwise - if that was a doable option.

- David (MGE/MyGoodEye)

kflip101

kflip101

Journeyman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts
I don't know if this question been answered yet...I know you need to uninstall all your mods and OBMM before you install NMM but does that include OBSE? To the best of my knowledge OBSE doesn't have anything to do with OBMM.

BAPACop

BAPACop

Journeyman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

I don't know if this question been answered yet...I know you need to uninstall all your mods and OBMM before you install NMM but does that include OBSE? To the best of my knowledge OBSE doesn't have anything to do with OBMM.

You don't need to uninstall all of your mods, just the OMODs that OBMM was tracking because NMM won't know whether or not they were active. So OBSE can be left alone.

Page loaded in: 1.088 seconds