Crashing on new game

colemurdoch

So I just downloaded Oblivion off of steam during the great deal they have. I wanted to get a taste of modding before modding tools for Skyrim come out. When I go to create a brand new game, i can create my character, and within 30 seconds of being in the cell it crashes. I am reinstalling now. Does anyone know why this could occur? My computer can run Skyrim on ultra so I know it is more than adequate for Oblivion.

thanks

Cole

Are you getting the crashes with just the vanilla un-modded game, and are the crashes coming while you're still in the tutorial dungeon or once you get outside?

Try rebuilding your Oblivion.ini file to let it rediscover your hardware. The file we're looking for is NOT the one called Oblivion_default.ini located in your game install Oblivion folder. Find the file Oblivion.ini located in Users\[username]\Documents\My Games\Oblivion for Vista and Windows 7, and found in Documents and Settings\[username]\My Documents\My Games\Oblivion for Windows XP. You may not see the .ini extension in Windows Explorer if you have 'Hide file extensions for known file types' turned on. You can double click the file labelled 'Oblivion' in that folder if you want to be sure you have the right file ... ini files are just text files and will open in Notepad by default. What you'd see in that case is a long text file starting out with entries looking like this:

[General]
SStartingCell=

SStartingCellY=
SStartingCellX=
SStartingWorld=

STestFile10=
STestFile9=
STestFile8=
STestFile7=
STestFile6=
STestFile5=
STestFile4=
STestFile3=
STestFile2=
STestFile1=

bEnableProfile=0
bDrawSpellContact=0
bRunMiddleLowLevelProcess=1
iHoursToSleep=3
bActorLookWithHavok=0

When you're sure you have the correct file rename it to Oblivionini.old (if you have opened the file in Notepad you will need to close that before renaming or Windows will complain about the file being in use). After renaming the file start the game normally but don't load a save or start a new game ... just go as far as the menu and then exit. If you check, you should see that the game has created a new Oblivion.ini in the same folder as the renamed one. Try starting a new game and see if that helps. Oblivion is an old game, and sometimes has trouble identifying new modern hardware (especially video cards).

Renaming as I suggested will suffice, as the game won't load a file with the .old extension. As nothing new to try is immediately springing to mind for me, I'm going to suggest you have a look through the Oblivion reinstall procedure to see if anything suggested there tweaks a 'gee I didn't do that' for you. If nothing else, it will come in handy for you in as far as my next suggestion ... if Steam and Oblivion are installed in the default C:\Program Files (or Program Files (x86) if you're using a 64 bit OS) you'll need to move them to something like C:\Games\Steam or similar to avoid future issues with UAC (User Account Control). You can safely ignore that advice if you are using Windows XP like me, but I generally don't find many dinosaurs like me roaming about anymore. UAC isn't your problem now (providing you haven't installed any mods), but down the road, if you plan to install mods it will interfere. Edited by Striker879

I'm a non-Steam type of guy myself, so I don't know how it handles launching the game and managing updates (i.e. is there a 'Check for updates' button?). Normally hardware related issues on a new game don't show up until you exit the sewers at the end of the tutorial, and from your description you're not even making it out of the cell at the start. When you choose a race does the prisoner in the cell across the hall start to taunt you, or do you crash before that?