Crashing on new game

colemurdoch

I'm stumped on this ... the only issues I can recall hearing about at the game start are related to custom races, and in that case the prisoner across from you doesn't speak and so then the emperor doesn't show and the whole thing grinds to a standstill, but crashes are a result.

In the grasping at straws category now ... check in your Oblivion\Data folder for the following files (I've also listed my file sizes, but those are from the original disk version of the game not the Steam version):

Oblivion - Meshes.bsa 655,670 KB

Oblivion - Misc.bsa 7,061 KB

Oblivion - Sounds.bsa 322,389 KB

Oblivion - Textures - Compressed.bsa 1,189,276 KB

Oblivion - Voices1.bsa 768,920 KB

Oblivion - Voices2.bsa 981,453 KB

Oblivion.esm 241,591 KB

After making the list another thought pops to mind ... what sound card/onboard sound chip are you using. If I recall correctly sound issues (i.e. CODECs etc.) can cause problems. Before you chose a race you'll only be hearing the music ... after that the game sounds begin.

Here's a quote from Koroush Ghazi's Oblivion Tweak Guide

If you are experiencing audio-related glitches or problems, firstly make sure you have installed the latest audio drivers for your sound card. Details of these are in the Driver Installation/Windows Drivers chapter of the TweakGuides Tweaking Companion, along with further instructions in that chapter for correct driver installation and general driver tips. Disable all additional audio effects or enhancements. For example, if you run a Creative sound card, go into the Audio HQ/Audio Console and in the EAX Control Panel click the 'All Effects Off' option or select 'No Effects' for all the presets. You should also consider disabling CMSS 3D, and indeed any other audio effect options which may be conflicting with Oblivion's sound. You should also consider uninstalling any 'codec packs' you may have installed, as these are known to cause audio problems in a range of games. Contrary to popular belief, most sound cards and even recent onboard audio solutions do not have a conflict with Oblivion, so typically the problem is with the audio settings and/or other audio codecs installed on the system.

The audio section is found on page 7 of the guide and continues in the advanced tweaking section on page 9. The more I look at it the more plausible it seems that sound might be your issue.

Edited by Striker879

• 4 months later...

More info required ... it's generally better to start your own thread and describe your problem even if it resembles one that a previous poster had. No two Oblivion installations are exactly the same, and by starting your own thread you'll also be able to document the different troubleshooting steps you've taken.

That said, the reason I prefer to rename Oblivion.ini over deleting it is so that recovering from a 'failed experiment' is as simple as deleting the failed Oblivion.ini and renaming your renamed copy back to 'Oblivion.ini'.