The Westeros Project

Selyp

Alright so I have been recently obsessed with George R.R. Martin's epic series A Song of Ice and Fire. I was thinking that it would be pretty awesome to bring his world to life in the Skyrim engine. Obviously this would be an enormous task (understatement), that could take a year (or many years), but completing one small part at a time could be pretty cool. I have made some mods for Amnesia : The Dark Descent, and messed around with Oblivion, so I do have a bit of experience.

I just wanted to make a post to see if there was any interest in such a project, or if any other fellow Skyrim players were into the world of A Song of Ice and Fire. Once the creation kit comes out, we will see how feasible this is, but I think it could be pretty amazing if done well. I'll probably start working on this once the kit is out, starting with just a city/area at a time. (Maybe King's Landing first) Using the detailed descriptions from the book, and the visuals from the series I think an accurate version of the world could be created.

It would also be very cool if we could get a group of modders and divide the work up by city/region. Some cool areas to start with could be

-King's Landing

-Braavos

-Winterfell

-The Wall

-The Eyrie

-Dragonstone

-Storm's End

These would provide a good basis to build off. Obviously the ultimate goal would be to create the entire world, but I'm already getting ahead of myself...

I'm going to use this thread to gather my ideas. Would love to hear some feedback!

Reference photos from the HBO series

http://www.makinggameofthrones.com/storage/kings-landing.jpg - King's Landing

http://www.makinggameofthrones.com/storage/winterfell-2.jpg - Winterfell

I realise this is an ambitious ( some would say too ambitious ) project. I am just posting this to see if people would have any interest in such a mod, or even if they would want to contribute to the mod. I will start work on this as soon as the creation kit comes out, and keep you guys updated of any work I have accomplished. Most people will see this thread and think I'm in way over my head, and there is no way this will get finished (which is what I would assume too). Just wanted to spark up some conversation about the world and take it one piece at a time, and have a place to gather my ideas where they could be discussed.

Edited by Selyp

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude I made a post in the mod request forums about this exact same thing. I would DIE for a mod like this...

Also I really don't even think you'd have to do all of Westeros. As I talked about in my thread I think Skyrim is already almost set up 100% perfect for the "North" and beyond the wall. You have tons of mountains and tons of snow. You also have monsters in the game already that remind me of the "others" in the books.

I think the biggest thing that would have to be added (outside of NPC's being renamed and reskinned and such) would probably be the wall itself. Obviously you'd want it to be big but you'd also have to be able to enter it and such. I don;t have any skill with modding but if it comes down to people actually willing to work on it and stuff I could easily help write the story and character text and all.

I was also thinking the same thing. The way Skyrim is set up it'd be a pretty good fit for the Wall and the North. However, I was thinking that if I wanted to leave room to expand and eventually add the southern regeions, it would be cool to just make a ship that you could use to travel to a newly discovered continent of Westeros. Either that, or put a copy of a book call A Song of Ice and Fire, and upon reading it you get transported to Westeros. Also, like you said Draugrs are perfect to use as the "Others".

I would appreciate help with writing, and eventually quests (you could join The Faceless Men of Braavos, or the Kingsguard, or the Night's Watch) but I think this is getting WAY ahead of ourselves. Would need to design the world before we could add stuff like that in.

On a side note, it would be cool if key characters, such as the King, were updated and changed as the final 2 books came out :P

Dude, anyone can come up with ideas, including all the experienced modders who have their own mod plans. Unless you do a ton of work to start with, these projects don't gain momentum. Just dig around in the forums. Hundreds of these threads.

I understand that. However, the creation kit is not out yet so there isn't much else I can do other than gather my ideas, and try and create some interest for a team of modders and get feedback. If I could start right now I would.

This would be a huge project, we still don't even have proper tools yet. You need very experienced modders who not only know what they're doing but also have unwavering dedication. I've been a part of several of mod teams for MTW2 and M&B:W and a lot of the problems come from the fact that you have a ton of good-natured "fans" of the concept (LOTR, GoT, etc) who think they can start a mod team or contribute with all their ideas yet they have no idea what's even possible to implement.

If a proper team for this does ever pop up I'll be sure to take a peek. Here's some of my work that I've done for a Warband mod:

http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/2536/starkinfantry.jpg

http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/1465/lannisterkingsguard.jpg

http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/702/lannisterheavy.jpg

Edited by bilwit

Please don't take this very personally.

You said you'd start working on this one city at a time when the creation kit comes out, but honestly you can't do that. You can't make a thing like this piecemeal, whenever inspiration happens to strike you. I'm telling you this right now just to save you a headache. If you don't in advance plan out everything, and I mean literally everything from factions to cities to quests and goals and custom equipment, magic, balance, everything you want to achieve with this, then eventually, and hopefully sooner rather than later, you will realize that you've completely painted yourself into a corner and there's no way you can reintroduce internal consistency into your mod. It will be a huge mess and you'll become discouraged and either start over, totally demoralizing anyone who in good faith decided to work on this with you, or you'll just quit.

Bethesda had an enormous team doing worldbuilding for this game, and I mean they had people just doing design, you know, the step you're basically skipping in your enthusiasm. And this team took a really long time to turn out this product. This project will take you years, and right now you're probably young, I mean that's an assumption but let's just say, and you don't know it yet but things happen in life abruptly, you go to college and get engaged and start a job and suddenly that enormous time-sink of a video game mod project just doesn't justify itself in your schedule anymore.

So you're going into this very willy-nilly, that's one thing, however there's something else, and this is perhaps even a little more crucial.

cire992 posted:

Dude, anyone can come up with ideas

and although his point was more that just having the enthusiastic "idea man" won't take a project very far, it scratches on more: that this isn't even your idea. The Song of Ice and Fire is someone else's life's work, and no I'm not going all copyright nonsense on you, I'm saying that your time, pretty much the most valuable resource you've got, should be spent on your own idea. You like those books and you don't think I'm being serious and poignant but what you're literally proposing here is years of time invested into what would basically amount to fan fiction.

If you want to use the cell editor to turn out some thematic maps as a couple-of-hours-a-week hobby then that's totally reasonable, but that won't get done what you're proposing and it's irresponsible to drum up support for something that will never happen on a forum with a lot of young and impressionable users whose lives still have potential beyond alpha neckbeard.

I appreciate the criticism. I do realize that this is a very large project (enormous). I was trying to get an idea if anyone would be interested in helping or even playing this mod before I decided to make it. I wasn't planning adding things willy nilly - I was thinking more of a route like Exodus said. This way you could get an area and a quest line at a time. Eventually the mod would expand, and be released on city or area at a time.

I have had some experience with mods and know that without extensive planning this will fall through the cracks, and I also know that most ideas posted on here are probably looked down on as someone who doesn't know what they are doing. I understand this and expect most people to have no faith in this ever being completed.

However, if anyone is interested in helping or offering some ideas for what you'd like to see first, let me know!