CTD at Solitude

FlashMurdock

Hey, I've been playing Skyrim for about 30 hours and aside from a few random crashes, it's been pretty enjoyable. However, when i tried to travel to Solitude the game crashed to desktop with no error message or anything. It happens 100% of the time, whether i walk near the city (or the Thalmor Embassy too) or try to take the carriage. I don't even know what the city looks like, i can't even get that close. Has this happened to anyone else? If so, any advice (aside from waiting for the patch)?

Specs:

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

Intel Q6600

Ati Radeon HD 5770

4gb DDR2

• 2 weeks later...

I wish to say that I was having a similar problem, couldn't fast travel there, couldn't enter any of the buildings, it was a ctd FEST! However I ignored as it was early days in the game and I didn't NEED to be there. Then eventually one of my brothers disabled saving after quick-travelling for some reason, and I could travel there.

Disable all "save-after" options in the menu and it might be fixed for you. It was for me, though I can't save in a mile wide radius of solitude at ALL.

I HOPE this helps someone in the future. Hello future person.

Edit: It appears after doing this that I'm unable to save anywhere at all and the bug becomes a world wide thing. Dammit.

Edited by Eskanasi

I wish to say that I was having a similar problem, couldn't fast travel there, couldn't enter any of the buildings, it was a ctd FEST! However I ignored as it was early days in the game and I didn't NEED to be there. Then eventually one of my brothers disabled saving after quick-travelling for some reason, and I could travel there.

Disable all "save-after" options in the menu and it might be fixed for you. It was for me, though I can't save in a mile wide radius of solitude at ALL or it crashes and I lose all the progress anyway so everytime something important happens I have to travel out to whiterun to save.

I HOPE this helps someone in the future. Hello future person.

Yes! that does the trick, been hearing the same thing to do that. really you only need on is save every 15min. really i think you save yourself about every 10 if you don't want to lose stuff. 43 hours 1 character 1202 :thumbsup: mess up on one thing or crashes here and there wont lose a darn thing. i know thats a lot :biggrin:

Okay glad to see that that helped someone. The other thing I tried (as just not saving didn't work for me) I disabled all my plugins. Then it worked and I could save in solitude.

To disable your plugins go to Skyrim launcher in your skyrim folder and then click "datafiles" after running it. Disable everything and you're good. Hope this helps someone!

This fixed it properly. If it fixes it for you I'm afraid you'll have to go through, enabling one of your plugins at a time to see if one of them is causing a problem.

EDIT: Dunno why, but just doing this once and then enabling them all again has made it work properly for me. No troubleshooting was required to fix my problem I just enabled them all again. I don't know why this happened.

Edited by Eskanasi

• 11 months later...
I am having crashes too and i know that it is due to a mod but I have come around a mod that disables saving in solitude that i want to share. If you have the mod Supermodels Beautiful Bandits Edition then disable it and make a save near whiterun and then travel to solitude. Worked for me so it may work for you.

• 1 year later...

I have finally managed to enter Solitude but through the VERY HARD way. The way I did it was to use the TCL cheat, which makes the character to walk through walls, like noclipping and I can say that the problem is not Solitude, but the area surrounding it is the problem... it's a graphical bug or glitch I'd say it would be more fitting. For example, there was a huge hexagonal water form on the ground, missing buildings, no trees... nothing just the ground and lots of "melted" buildings. I have uploaded 2 screenshots with the map so that you can see the path i followed to avoid crashing again, and another 3 screenshots with the glitched area http://www51.zippysh...86131/file.html (fortunately, now I've discovered a second problem to this game: THE BAD SCREENSHOTS :tongue:). Just remember: if you wanna get into Solitude, use TCL cheat, climb up VERY HIGH and then just follow the path that I did. Sorry but i don't know any other solution since I've tried everything (deactivated mods, reinstalled mods, reinstalled game, used BOSS & TES5EDIT and the list goes on :tongue:). Hope this helps you in finding a way to deal with this problem.

klawdelu

thanks for the link. i used the code and i could enter Solitude again but still could not get inside any of the buildings like Winking Skeever.

tried enabling my house mods one by one, autosave turned ON. (this was after disabling all mods and finding out it was the house mods)

Silverfish Grotto

Riverside Lodge

Heartwood Cottage

These seemed to be the ones causing the problem for me. After disabling them i can go in and out Winking Skeever and Solitude without CTD. Hope this helps someone.

Besides Silverfish Grotto I have no idea why these mods are affecting that region since they're so far away but it helped for me.

• 2 years later...

I had this issue with Riften and Solitude.

for Riften I had to delete the mod i was using to have all cities with open gates connected to the world without load screens,

for Solitude I couldnt even go near it..

I moved my 3 highrestech esm's toward the top of the list directly under dawngaurd.esm and it stopped crashing.

also copy and pasted this into the notebook text of the Skyrim.ini file. found in documents>games>skyrim>skyrim.ini

make a back up obviously!

[Archive]
sResourceArchiveList=Skyrim - Misc.bsa, Skyrim - Shaders.bsa, Skyrim - Textures.bsa, HighResTexturePack01.bsa, HighResTexturePack02.bsa, Skyrim - Interface.bsa, Skyrim - Animations.bsa, Skyrim - Meshes.bsa, Skyrim - Sounds.bsa
sResourceArchiveList2=Skyrim - Voices.bsa, Skyrim - VoicesExtra.bsa, HighResTexturePack03.bsa
That helps the texture packs not override or interfer with the mods you have i guess, i got it from a youtube video(the one a couple comments above mine actually)...not sure what made it or or how it works just what worked for me.
Edited by Tylerboothman