Did you kill Paarthurnax?

Pineapplerum

• Replies 530
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never liked or trusted Delphine. She was always condescending and self righteous, but never more so than when she's putting down the Greybeards or demanding Parthurnaax's head. Even with the Parthurnaax Dilemma mod I can't stand her, and never really bother with rebuilding the Blades. The way I see it the Blades will die with Esbern, no matter how many apprentices or lackies Delphine gathers to her before that. I like to think that once we've defeated Harkon, the Dawnguard evolve into the Dragonborn's new guardians. Let the Blades call themselves dragon hunters if they want, but I'll have nothing to do with them thanks.

That's why I personally prefer the 'Paarthurnax Plus 3 Choice' Mod...it's not about keeping both sides on your team, but instead allows you to either put Delphine and Esburn in their place with a verbal reprimand or kill them and registers the quest as completed.

• 4 months later...

Weird, I accidentally used Inferno Storm from its respective mod(and force-completed the kill Paarthurnax quest with the console, without actually killing him, which is supposed to allow me to keep both sides happy), and after finally defeating Alduin, I go to High Hrothgar, talk to Arngeir, and what do I get? A rant about how I supposedly murdered Paarthurnax and that I will not be able to talk to him anymore. WTH? Did they patch that quest or what?

• 1 year later...

I let him live. I really don't like how the Blades are written in Skyrim. It makes no sense given the Septim = dragon blood lore. If Paarthurnax should die simply because he is a dragon, then why should the Dragonbloods or dragonblood emperors live? If Paarthurnax should die because he might try to take over, then why shouldn't the Septims die? Tibor Septim DID take over.

So why exactly did they become bodyguards to the last remnant of Dragonkind?

• 2 weeks later...

Being a dragon and getting the power of the dragon aren't the same. Every dragon in the game EXCEPT Paarthurnax exhibits the kind of behavior that is a threat to mankind - including the imprisoned dragon in the Dawnguard DLC. So the real question is, can Paarthurnax continue to fight the inherent nature of his ilk? Even he himself says it's a continuous battle to fight the urges of his kind.

Being a dragon and getting the power of the dragon aren't the same. Every dragon in the game EXCEPT Paarthurnax exhibits the kind of behavior that is a threat to mankind - including the imprisoned dragon in the Dawnguard DLC. So the real question is, can Paarthurnax continue to fight the inherent nature of his ilk? Even he himself says it's a continuous battle to fight the urges of his kind.

Yes, it is. Only dragons can truly kill other dragons. The Dragonborn is a dragon wearing a mortal skin.

Yes, it is. Only dragons can truly kill other dragons. The Dragonborn is a dragon wearing a mortal skin.

Moreover, the Blades (Esbern in particular) want Paarthunax dead on the grounds he might try to take over and rule everyone, which is exactly what Tiber Septim did. Yet when the man who would be Talos did exactly what Esbern apparently fears Paarturnax might do, those who would become the Blades immediately swore to defend him and his successors.....

Edited by kimmera

Paarthurnax is pretty cuddly even within Skyrim's standards. If he spent all this time meditating and holding back his instinct to dominate then I figured I could let him keep truckin' along for a few eras more.

The Blades are pretty useless in the vanilla game anyway so I just flounced out of there and never came back to Sky Haven Temple. Dragonborns do what they want, yo.