Quest throat of the world does not start

DreyX

I have finished quest alduin wall.

Esbern went back to his ratway.

But i did not recieve the new quest, which should be the throat of the world.

I was told to meet the greybeards, but there is no dialouge at which I can start a new quest.

Please someone help me with that. I tried with setstage.... but nothing helped.

also the side quest that involves hunting dragons at esbern does not work, there is a marker that i should talk with him, but there is no dialouge

Did he open up the door for you? Did you steal the silver ring for the guy in the courtyard and stick it in that guy's pocket first? I forget what quest that was. And I think you have to talk to the thieves before talking to Esbern. Then you find him and tell him you're the dragonborn and he opens up the door for you to come in and he starts talking to you. If you have done all those things and it's still not working...I don't know.

Have you met up with Delphine in ...oh crap, I'm so bad with names...but it's the first town you visited when you played if you followed that Imperial dude and then he introduces you to his Uncle or someone who's a blacksmith.

I think it's Riften? You go into the place where you can buy a bed and she's there. Try to do that. I'll come back if I gave you the wrong town. Oops, no, sure enough. It's Riverwood.

Edited by Pineapplerum

I think you do not get the problem, the town is riverwood you are reffering,

i have done that,, i have been at the Blades temple with delphine and esbern, esbern explained me the prophecy and told me about the ancient shout that was used to defeat the alduin, and that i should talk with the greybeards to find out more, and that is when the quest line stops and there is no further info

I'm having the same problem, got through the bugged Alduin's Wall quest with no audio from Esbern, and now when I visit the greybeard to start the Throat of the World quest, he won't give me anything. I tried the "setstage mq204 1" to start it, but that didn't work. Anyone?

EDIT: I skipped this and the next quest by typing the following line into the console (~): setstage mq206 100 Note that you'll be forced to fight Alduin and expected to know the Dragonrend Shout to beat him, one of the shouts missed by skipping those 2 quests. You can learn it with console commands though:

player.teachword 44251

player.teachword 44252

player.teachword 44253

If you don't have the dragon souls to unlock them, use this: player.forceav dragonsouls 3

Edited by link293

I got to the top of the mountain, learned clear skies too trough console, but how do i get the elder scroll?

and will starting a new game solve my problem?

cause when the patch comes out, which hopefully will be this week, i want to play without the break to search for bugs it would not hurt me much to start from beginning

• 1 month later...
I have this same problem. I'm level 60 something, played 150+ hours, doing the main quest here and there, and I get to Alduin's Wall, Esbern talks about it, they talk about asking the Greybeards about the shout that can defeat Alduin, and that's it. I get two miscellaneous quests, one to find followers for Delphine, and another to talk to to Esbern about Dragon Lairs. No new main quest though. I found the followers for Delphine, all three, and they now wander around Sky Haven Temple in Blades gear, and when I try to talk to Esbern all the way back in the Ratway Warrens, he has no new dialogue options. I assume this is because I've probably already found all the Dragon lairs he would have told me about, but is this maybe why the main quest won't advance as well? The next quest should be 'Throat of the World' but it won't start. I've tried the console commands setstage mq203 80 or whatever to finish 'Alduin's Wall' and nothing happens. I've tried setstage mq204 10 to start 'Throat of the World' and nothing happens. Setstage 206 something works, to start 'Alduin's Bane' but it's greyed out because I don't have whatever is required. I REALLY don't want to skip anything, and not a chance in hell I'm starting over. Come on. A game with a broken main quest...how does that get past testing? Especially since I'm clearly not even close to the only one with this or similar problems. Any suggestions?

• 2 months later...

It would seem there are two parts to this bug. If you're on PC it's easier to fix, I have no idea how to fix it for console.

First, go to C:\Users\username\Documents\My Games\Skyrim

Make a backup of your Skyrim.ini file if you've done anything to it, then remove it. The game will make a new one don't worry. (Note that is Skyrim.ini not Skyrimprefs.ini)

After doing that, Esbern will now have audio and function correctly.

Second trigger for this bug, DO NOT USE CONSOLE CHEATS TO LEARN CLEAR SKIES OR DRAGONREND!

Reason? Having either of these shouts prior to this quest will bug out your game. Unfortunately they cannot be removed from your spellbook either. If you already have them, you'll have to start over.

Edited by poster55

• 4 months later...