Heavy Traffic ×

how to play skyrim offline?

TheMysteriousTraveler

Steam cleary wasn't intended for people with slow/crappy connections, hence it wasn't made for many parts of the world. Heh, I wouldn't be surpirsed if I suddenly got to know that whomever got the idea of making Steam-Dependant games though ``If your connection is fast and good, it means you're in the USA, so your game's a genuine, and you need Steam. But if your connection is slow and crappy, that means you're in a poor country, and if you're in a poor country, that means you're using a pirate copy of the game, so you don't need Steam´´......Having a crappy conection is not some poor country exclusivity, y'know......

The neverending war between content creators and the fact that they are trying to apply economic models designed for physical reality to data. You can't apply models that require something to be palpable to something that exists solely as a ghost between math and illusion. I'm not advocating nor condoning piracy, but piracy goes to show you that the only law that applies is the law of math. Cyber-libertarians do have a point.

It's a neverending cycle; developers create a new software with a new security system, pirates find a way to bypass the security system, developers notice it and create a new security system again, pirates notice it and find a way to bypass it again, and the cycle continues spining and spining for all etenity while we(the users) are stuck in the middle, unable to do a thing, just like a drifting ship.

What I want to know is HOW do you get off line mode to work? When I click to play offline, the game just refuses to load. I figured it was just a Steam lie and offline doesn't work. I even have firewall ability to block steam, but the game won't load up.

Like so many thousands of others, I hate the fact that I was forced to load Steam. Just give me the program I paid good money for and leave me alone to load what ever patches and mods I want . I detest Bethesda for this and will never buy another of their games. I hope everyone boycots them.

• 2 weeks later...

Playing with Steam set to "Play in offline mode" will NOT patch your game, neither will it allow your achievements to be uploaded to it's server if anyone actually cares about that.

They actually did it right with the initial release. You entered your product key on Steam (proving you purchased a copy, that's all DRM is for after all), installed from the disk and got the release day patch. Then all we had to do was shut down our internet connection, make a desktop shortcut to TESV.exe and play the game anytime we wanted without any hassles.

I'm still playing it this way because I haven't connected to Steam since then and am still playing 1.1. I do of course realize that I'll eventually have to go back online once a decent patch is released and to purchase the DLC, but in the meantime I've been playing hassle free (for the most part, still have some quest glitches which require some work-a rounds and doing memory de-fragmentation) ever since.

I'm sure Beth doesn't care but Steam does because they've lost a pair of eyes to watch their advertizements!

[The only problem is I can't go get the latest FONV patch because Steam will automatically patch Skyrim too.]

If I am not mistaken, there was a recent Steam update, that fixed the bug that made it update their games DESPITE having the "Do not automatically keep this game updated at all times" box checked. It appears to be working too, because I have been playing the game while having Steam set to online, and Steam has not updated my Skyrim exe. This is good, because I am someone that needs to have Steam running online because of other games I play with friends.

Good to hear that Steam addressed that bug but I still don't trust them. If anyone is interested in achievements you still get them when playing in offline mode (as long as you don't use the console) but they're not credited to your Steam account until you log back on.