Skyrim won't load save files

Serentropic

(Sorry if this topic has been addressed elsewhere. I haven't found a solution, so either I'm blind or it's not out there. The former is very possible.)

I've had numerous problems since getting Skyrim, from textures not loading to bluescreens. These have all been temporary, though, and resolvable just by giving my computer time to chill a bit. The latest problem seems more permanent and is thus significantly more frustrating. I can't load my save files. The game doesn't "freeze", it just sits on the loading screen for an infinite time. The text tips will still roll by and everything. It doesn't seem to matter what file I try to load, they all jam. At first I managed to load one, but it had massive lag. Now I can't even get that far. I've tried removing mods and so on. Not really getting anywhere. I'd rather not have to re-install if avoidable.

Anyone know a solution?

I have the same exact problem. Initially, the game froze when exiting a few specific doors or places in the Skyrim. Now, it crashes to desktop 50% of the time when I fast travel, and I am unable to load my most recent saves. When I do load an older one, and replay to the same position and create a new save, no luck. Help!

I have this exact same problem. I would offer any answers that I know of, but unfortunately, I have no idea what to do. I used to just reload on older save and that would occasionally work, but I'd lose all the stuff I worked hard getting. Plus, the new save eventually succumbs to the same problem as well. I really hope somebody has some answers.

I've run into the same problem. One thing I found is that if I pres Ctrl-Alt-Del as if I was going to bring up Task Manager, and wait a few seconds before hitting Esc, that will sometimes "force" the save file to finish it's loading process. The same goes for times when I've been stuck during a "fast" travel. The only thing that I've been able to validate with my problem is that when the save file goes over 6000 kb, then it will not load.

Are your problem save files more than 6000 kb?

I had the same problem. HOWEVER, I had faulty ram which I have now replaced, it has solved the problem. I'm not saying that you will have faulty ram because it is unlikely that everyone in this thread has a broken ram stick but it's something to consider. Maybe you don't have enough ram? Edited by Willeyeam

• 3 weeks later...

same problem here - sort of. Standing in Jorrvaskr in Whiterun and want to exit to outdoors. None of the two exits gives anything but the load-screen. I can go from one room to another inside Jovaskr opening and closing doors with no probs.

The save game is just about 6 mb (5860 kb). I have 16 GB ram so I doubt that that is the culprit.

Have tried to run the game in windowed mode, and it seems that windows rather fast detects that the Skyrim application doesnt react anymore as the windows waiting "wheel" arises after a few secons.

Snif!

Edited by dirch

i get this from time to time, last savegame loads forever... this is how to fix it...

load any save game before the "broken" one.. any... now while in game load your latest savegame and it should work... at least it has never failed me.... no need to loose that couple hours of work XD

did you change something in skyrim.ini? like for "full 3d map", then remove lines with uLockedObjectMapLOD and uLockedTerrainLOD (this may lower objects and terrain detail on the map) under [MapMenu]

fixed the problem almost ever ;)

This has happened to me several times now. Each time I've had to delete my current saves and start a new game. It is very consistent. I start having issues when the save file reached 6 MB, then at about 7.5 MB the saves will never load again. This is not a mod issue since it is occurring when I have no mods installed. I have tried a couple of different video cards on my system that has 20 Gig of memory and 3 TB of drive space. I also have the same issue on my son's computer. So it isn't a memory, drive capacity or video problem. I have used the built in utilities to verify and defrag cache files. I have even uninstalled and reinstalled the game a few times. It appears to be a programming glitch with the game itself. This is the first Elder Scrolls gave that I have ever had problems playing, Beth usually does a great job. I hope they come out with a patch to fix this bug soon.

I had the same problem with skyrim on an alienware laptop and a gateway desktop. Both would sit on the load screen indefinitely unless I went to task manager and forced it to load. It would also have terrible lag after the load no matter what graphical settings I had it on. This started randomly, and up until then it worked completely fine on High settings. To fix this I backed up my Save folder in documents. It should be found in a folder in documents called my games. Back up the saves folder in the skyrim folder only. Now you will delete the skyrim folder from my games. Next you will need to delete or uninstall skyrim. Once complete go back into the folder where you had skyrim installed and make sure everything associated with skyrim is all gone. Now that is complete you will need to go in and delete all files associated with skyrim from the registry. This is where my problem came from. Something in the registry was corrupted. To do this you will need to type regedit in to the search bar on the start menu. Hit enter and it should open. Click on edit on the top of the tool bar and click find. Type skyrim in find what and click find next. Delete the file, and repeat by clicking find next. Delete the next file and repeat until all files associated with skyrim have been deleted from the registry. It is very important that you only delete files associated with skyrim. If you accidentally delete something else, there is no telling what won't work after that. After that is complete reinstall skyrim and attempt to play. If it works you can replace your saves and start back where you left off. This worked for me, but I would only recommend this if you are having the same problem I had, and exhausted all other options. I tried several things until I resorted to this.