Fix for flickering shadows. Also how to change the way shadow timesca

SlayingMellow

hey guys,

i'm not sure if the settings here fix a problem i'm having. i'm very sorry i dont know hw to video my gameplay or what i see so try to imagine yes?

anyway, its like the shadows of a certain object shake and move as i walk toward an area. I also experience sudden lighting up of areas as i move near, this is esp so in dungeons. have i done something awfully wrong in my skyrimprefs or skyrim.ini?

If you've edited your .ini files, then I hope you made a backup first so you can revert to what was working. Also, you should check your settings (either in-game or via the game launcher) to set things like the light fade distance, specular fade, shadow, etc. If for instance you set the light fade too far to the left, the lights will "pop" on only after you get closer to the source.

You can test some of those settings in the game by waiting until dark near a building (I like standing on the bridge near Half-moon Mill) and then play with the light fade slider).

hey guys,

i'm not sure if the settings here fix a problem i'm having. i'm very sorry i dont know hw to video my gameplay or what i see so try to imagine yes?

anyway, its like the shadows of a certain object shake and move as i walk toward an area. I also experience sudden lighting up of areas as i move near, this is esp so in dungeons. have i done something awfully wrong in my skyrimprefs or skyrim.ini?

If you've edited your .ini files, then I hope you made a backup first so you can revert to what was working. Also, you should check your settings (either in-game or via the game launcher) to set things like the light fade distance, specular fade, shadow, etc. If for instance you set the light fade too far to the left, the lights will "pop" on only after you get closer to the source.

You can test some of those settings in the game by waiting until dark near a building (I like standing on the bridge near Half-moon Mill) and then play with the light fade slider).

Hi NoobusExtremus,

thanks for the quick reply! yes ive got a backup on my desktop. all my settings are set to the maximum with the ini. tweaks in addition. Is this overkill causing the problem? speaking of pop-ins, i experience that popular distance terrain popping in. Ive got Enhanced Distant Terrain mod installed though. I also tried doing the ugridtoload but my game CTD-ed even at a value of 5! Have i missed out a certain line in the ini or prefs? I'm using Nvidia GTX 560 btw.

Thanks again for your patience man, i'm a noob at all this really.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Someone mentioned the crappy shadows like in breezehome.

They REALLY annoy me, I came across this thread while searching for a solution.

here's a picture to show u what i have to deal with:

http://cubeupload.com/im/VKkonF.png

So does anybody know a solution for this? Maybe an edit to one of the .ini's? a console command? perhaps a mod?

to fix those issues you need a mod like this one

This mod fixed the stippling shadow pattern that I had occuring in several direct lighting locations on my companions. I hadn't really noticed it on objects.

Thanks very much for the referal.

• 1 year later...

I don't know If anyone have still problems with flickering shadows but I share my experience and How I fix the problem:

It's little trick but thanks to this guide http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/guides/the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-tweak-guide?sf2686171=1#15 I fix it.

You just need to change fShadowDistance from default 8000 to 3000

fShadowDistance=3000

Of course you losing some shadows from a distance but you get, your closer shadows more detailed without lifting a resolution, and finally your closer shadows DO NOT FLICKER ANY MORE.

I think there is no chance to fix flickering shadows with default shadow distance without lifting resolution of the shadows.

Here is What I discovered:

fShadowDistance=8000 and 4k resolution for shadows. NO FLICKERING. If lower resolution, STRONG FLICKERING

fShadowDistance=4500 and 2048 resolution for shadows. STILL FLICKERING

fShadowDistance=3000 and 2048 resolution for shadows. NO FLICKERING.

I have not tried but it is expected that for 1024 resolution, probably you need even more decrease your shadows distance

• 1 year later...