9876 replies to this topic

Vuud

Vuud

Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts
In response to post #9301282.

Current behavior of TES5Edit is as follows...

Backup Plugins unchecked:
-files are saved to original file location, overwriting them with no backups

Backup Plugins checked:
-files are saved to original file location, overwriting them
-a backup is created in Overwrite inside the TES5Edit Backups folder

I recommend making a copy of the uncleaned files before cleaning them. After cleaning them, place the cleaned esms in a Cleaned Bethesda ESMs mod in MO and restore the uncleaned files to the original data directory. This way the uncleaned esms are in the data directory and the cleaned esms are in MO overwriting the ones in the data directory.

skwareballz

skwareballz

Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
So there is a little program that Sir Garnon for Archive Invalidation that generates a complete .txt for use in FNV and F3. I can't figure out if the program can't see the virtual directory or that I've pointed the program to look in the wrong place.

Where would I point the program to look for FalloutNV.exe and Fallout.ini? I thought it would just be the regular place the program would see the mods in there. I have had some issues with every other Archive Invalidation method, so I'm hoping this will help if I can get it to work.

mob64

mob64

Stranger

• Supporter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Thanks for confirming this behavior.

It looks like change to previous method.

Did you think it's some exception - i mean it's just for TES5Edit or this change could spread for other things (skyprocer, WB ...) ?

TES5Edit manual and Neovalen describing just such behavior like in MO 1.0.3 ...

Vuud

Vuud

Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts
In response to post #9306928.

I have noticed that this does affect other applications in a similar manner, and currently believe it to be superior than the previous behavior, which I believe is the reason for the change.

Copywrite85

Copywrite85

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 121 posts
There's like an update every time I open this thing nowadays :S

GSDFan

GSDFan

Fan

• Premium Member
  • 483 posts
In response to post #9306905.

HI, sorry to say I could not get this to work under MO v0.12.9 and did not try it under the most recent beta.

I downloaded this, http://newvegas.nexusmods.com/mods/52402//?, I hope this is the one you meant, and tried to run it as an executable under the normal modify executables dialog. MO threw the following error “failed to inject dll into "ArchiveInvalidation.exe": failed to access thread context. Please note that Mod Organizer does not support 64bit binaries! (The parameter is incorrect. [87])”. I did a little digging and determined that the program is not 64 bit so I made a mod out of the executable archive to install it.

After I got the program installed I was able to right click on it in the data tab and select add as executable to run the program. MO filled in the info. The program did run when installed this way.

After the program opened I was presented with the configuration dialog. In the “Game File path” I put the path to Skyproc Patchers FalloutNV.exe and in the “INI File Path” I pointed it to the active profiles fallout.ini. In the “Archive Settings” it told me the state of SinvalidationFile=Archiveinvalidation.txt and binvalidateOlderFiles=1. Toggling the Enable box did change the state of each from No to Yes.

Pressing the generate button I got the following error: No custom textures or meshes detected in Folder: "D:\Steam\steamapps\common\fallout new vegas" and no Archive Invalidation Generated output was generated.

It would appear that this program is not seeing the MO virtual data directory.

You may want to open a ticket on the MO issue tracker. You are welcome to include any of this text from this post.

skwareballz

skwareballz

Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
In response to post #9306905. #9307457 is also a reply to the same post.

Thank you for doing that. I wanted to see if it was me of something with the two programs not working together before adding a new ticket.

I'll add one to the issue tracker when I get a chance.

GSDFan

GSDFan

Fan

• Premium Member
  • 483 posts
In response to post #9297895. #9300885, #9305687 are all replies on the same post.

As for the fake folder thing I knew what mods I wanted and knew that I wouldn’t be changing them too often.

What has changed is Mod Organizers feature set. Early on things did not work as they do now so I tended to stick with what worked. Now that MO has matured into the robust tool that it is that option is now a viable one, although I have to admit that I have not fully explored running FOMM in Fallout NV.

keithinhanoi

keithinhanoi

Dot-connector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,060 posts
In response to post #9301282. #9306831 is also a reply to the same post.

I've followed Skyrim Revisted, and Vuud's exactly right here.

Be careful, though, because what Neovalen actually describes is this:

1. The "cleaned" .esm files are directly written in the real /Skyrim/Data directory (not into any of MO's folders.)
2. If you have "Make Backups" selected in TES5Edit, then the backup of your original .esm files are moved into Overwrite with ".backup" added to the end of the file name.

Neovalen then instructs the user to

1. move the cleaned .esm files into the \ModOrganizer\Overwrite folder
2, Move the backups of the original .esm files to \Skyrim\Data
3. Then, rename the originals in \Skyrim\Data by removing ".backup" from the name

The reason Neovalen recommends doing this is so that you keep a "pristine" (completely clean) vanilla install as one of your MO profiles.

These steps have advantages such as allowing you to use the "Verify integrity of game cache" feature of Skyrim to make sure none of your vanilla files are corrupt.

After I moved the cleaned .esm files to Overwrite, I then moved them into a new "Mod" which is a feature since MO 0.99.0 release. To do this, right-click on Overwrite in the list of installed mods in the left-side pane of MO, select "Create Mod...", and then give it a name. Note that "Create Mod...." will move ALL files currently in Overwrite into your new mod.

However, you do not have to do this, because if the cleaned .esm files are in the overwrite folder, they will still be the ones used in MO's virtual file system that Skyrim sees.

keithinhanoi

keithinhanoi

Dot-connector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,060 posts
In response to post #9270404. #9277005, #9280302, #9285270, #9287387, #9289637, #9290252, #9291670, #9293307, #9294485, #9297315, #9298785, #9299077 are all replies on the same post.

@Astor1977:

Ooops - I didn't mean to recommend moving SUM.esp out to a new mod or even the SUM Mod itself as I had done. I only mentioned that SUM.esp stayed in the SUM Mod I moved it to as a contrast to the other folders that SUM creates for me which don't get moved.

With SUM, I'd still recommend leaving everything it creates / generates in Overwrite, mainly for simplicity's sake. So, I'm bascially agreeing with wolverine2710.

The only two cases where I am deviating from that is I've moved out those cleaned .esm files and the general patch .esp as well as my TES5Edit backups into separate new Mods. I did that because I knew I wouldn't be modifying those in future, and wanted to keep Overwrite limited to things I know will be overwritten fairly often.

Also, since you've mentioned that you saw the Meta.ini files in MO's mod folders, I want to ask if you are moving files around in Windows rather than in MO itself?

I ask this because based on Tannin's change release notes and also his comments on his Issue Tracker, it seems that it is not a good idea to move files around in the ModOrganizer directory unless you absolutely have to.

MO's interface allows you to create folders, and delete, rename, and move files around within each mod. You can't move files between mods except for Overwrite. Since MO version 0.99.0, Tannin has had the feature to move files out of overwrite, either to a "new" mod, or an existing installed mod.

Only in a few cases do you need to go out to windows to move things around, for example in Neovalen's Skyrim Revisted Guide, some cleaned .esm files need to get moved into \ModOrganizer\overwrite. But generally I would recommend to avoid moving files around in Windows - again, I've based this idea on Tannin's notes and comments. Apparently, MO keeps track of files in memory, and if you move things around while it's running, things could not work as expected.

Anyhow, let's see about those files you've listed:

+ \SKSE\plugins\hdtPhysicsExtension.log
+ \SKSE\plugins\hdtHightHeelNative.log
+ \SKSE\plugins\CharacterMakingExtender.log

I googled and these are generated by SKSE plugins for two mods: HDT Physics Extension, and Enhanced Character Edit.

Although SKSE itself should not be installed through MO as a mod, MO of course is designed to see that SKSE is installed and add it to the list of executables that you can launch through MO so they recognize the virtual Skyrim \data tree that MO creates.

However, you can (and probably should) install SKSE's \scripts folder as a Mod in MO. In this case you would would want to download the .7z archive of SKSE (not the installed), and then only copy SKSE's .exe and .dll files directly in Windows into the main \Skyrim directory. Then you would "manually" install SKSE's script folder as a mod in MO, by clicking on the "Install a new mod" button in the upper-left corner of MO. You'll get the simple install interface - just deselect everything except for /scripts, making sure that it displays like this:

. \data
. + \scripts

Then, MO allows you to install SKSE plugins as mods, which is what you should do. I think HDT Physics Extensions is just a SKSE plugin, so you'd download the archive and install it in the same way as I've describe here for the SKSE \scripts directory.

This gives you the flexibility to simply disable your SKSE plugin mods for testing and troubleshooting.

Your SKSE plugin .log files showed up in Overwrite because they were probably installed "outside" MO, I am guessing, which won't break anything - but I'd still recommend installing them "within" MO for better control and flexibility.

If you install SKSE plugins through MO, then they should hopefully write the .log file into MO's mod folder for that plugin. I have SKSE -Elys- AltF4 installed through MO, for example, and the .log file for that is written in that Mod folder, and not in Overwrite. I have noticed that some of my SKSE plugins write their .log file in the main /Skyrim/Data directory, so in that case you will find them in the "real" \Data directory out in Windows. This doesn't hurt anything at all (they're .log files!) so I never worry about it.

If you do try removing your SKSE plugins from your "real" \Data\SKSE\Plugins folder and installing them through MO, and then still see .log files in Overwrite, I would say there's still no reason to be concern about it. They will not affect your game in any way.

+ \Video\bgs_Logo.bik

These two files must be something that was written by a mod after you started Skyrim. I searched on ATTK UI, and have to say that there's only sketchy information on it - despite being so incredibly popular on Nexus before it was "moved" to a private site.

I am hesitant to install it on my setup to see what it does, but I saw notes about it interacting with SKSE, and a video of the settings window, so if you are running from within MO, then any files that ATTK modifies will land up in the overwrite folder.

I have to guess it creates a blank bgs_Logo.bik file to turn off the Bethesuda opening animation. In this case, I'd suggest deleting it from Overwrite, and then in Windows, navigate to \skyrim\Data\Video, and rename BGS_Logo.bik to BGS_Logo.BAK. That also has the effect of skipping the intro video.

Finally, theres:

+ \Music\mus_maintheme.xwm

Are you using Customizable Music or Main Menu Randomizer, by chance? Any mod which changes the main menu music theme while running Skyrim would result in mus_maintheme.xwm being written in your overwrite folder.

If the music theme that is there now is the one you want for the rest of time, then you can either move it to it's own mod. If it's part of Main Menu Randomizer, then mus_maintheme.xwm will be written every time you run Skyrim, and it should be left in Overwrite.

Now, wasn't that easy???? :D

Page loaded in: 1.116 seconds