Draw Distance (uGridsToLoad)

Freemanhl2

There should be a note made in the first post, much more visibly, that any value above uGridstoLoad=7 is unplayable and extremely buggy...

I have been playing with uGridsToLoad=9 for months, no issues yet, I guess it depends in the memory interface of your graphic card, I have a gtx 470 with 384bits memory interface which I think allows me to play at that level, note that if you have a 560gtx for example, the memory interface is much lower so if the game cant get all the data through fast enough it will probably CTD, I got to this conclusion trying to up the ugrids, for me it became unstable at 13, but still could play for a few hours without CTD with a decent framerate.

I stand corrected. I didn't know anyone had had any success with higher settings than 7. :P

these work fine for me:

uGridsToLoad=9

uExterior Cell Buffer=100

iPreloadSizeLimit=4294967296

is it possible that these setings actually reduse the load on cpu? general fps is lower but its more consistent it seemes.

allso uiMaxSkinnedTreesToRender=3000 in skyrimprefs.ini

its average 5 fps less than uGridsToLoad=7

AMD Radeon HD 6850, ram:8GB, cpu: intel i5-2300 @2.8GHz

i jsut love the way it looks now :D and i hated seeing terrain change and trees apear in front of my eyes.

i wouldnt go back to uGridsToLoad=5. but maybe 7. that was pretty good too

• 1 month later...

Ok guys, I really want to improve the render distance with uGridsToLoad... so I went to C:\Users\Name\Documents\My Games\Skyrim and opened the Skyrim.ini (is it even the right one?)...

but I was suprised, there is no uGridsToLoad...

Heres my Skyrim.ini:

[General]

sLanguage=GERMAN

uExterior Cell Buffer=36

[Display]

fShadowLODMaxStartFade=1000.0

fSpecularLODMaxStartFade=2000.0

fLightLODMaxStartFade=3500.0

iShadowMapResolutionPrimary=2048

bAllowScreenshot=1

[Audio]

fMusicDuckingSeconds=6.0

fMusicUnDuckingSeconds=8.0

fMenuModeFadeOutTime=3.0

fMenuModeFadeInTime=1.0

[Grass]

bAllowCreateGrass=1

bAllowLoadGrass=0

[GeneralWarnings]

SGeneralMasterMismatchWarning=One or more plugins could not find the correct versions of the master files they depend on. Errors may occur during load or game play. Check the "Warnings.txt" file for more information.

[Archive]

sResourceArchiveList=Skyrim - Misc.bsa, Skyrim - Shaders.bsa, Skyrim - Textures.bsa, Skyrim - Interface.bsa, Skyrim - Animations.bsa, Skyrim - Meshes.bsa, Skyrim - Sounds.bsa

sResourceArchiveList2=Skyrim - Voices.bsa, Skyrim - VoicesExtra.bsa

[Combat]

fMagnetismStrafeHeadingMult=0.0

fMagnetismLookingMult=0.0

[Papyrus]

fPostLoadUpdateTimeMS=500.0

bEnableLogging=0

bEnableTrace=0

bLoadDebugInformation=0

[Water]

bReflectLODObjects=1

bReflectLODLand=1

bReflectSky=1

bReflectLODTrees=1

what did I do wrong?

PS: There is also nothing with uGridsToLoad in the SkyrimPrefs.ini

Edited by CruelDrFrankenstein

• 2 weeks later...

There is ugridstoload to load in both prefs and the normal ini, do I edit both?

EDIT: I think that in that kind of environment(in tundra with hardly any trees, the differences would be more noticeable), there is no point using 13 instead of 9 or 11. 11 would look just as good as 13 if the distant trees didn't have a different colour but 11 would destroy any system. BTW, would I be able to use 9? I have a i7 2600, a Geforce 560(even though my suppliers advertised it as a 560 ti) and 4gb of ram. I think the ram is too low.

Edited by shotgun188

• 3 months later...

Hi,

I was fooling around with the tree swaying animation. My problem was that it would work, for a while, but would choke out and stop. After several weeks of messing with settings I got my frame rate up high enough to get the tree branches moving, but that movement would stop after a while. I figured something was getting full and when full the animations would not play anymore. The culprit was the cell buffering code.

Cell buffering is there to ease up on the "stuttering". I thought that maybe I had enough system that the stuttering cause by cells loading might not be that much of an issue anymore. So I set that to 0, essentially turned it off. I do see a very minor blink of a stutter from time to time, but that solved the issue with the tree animation.

So since cell buffering is asking you system to do something extra, and you want to cut down on that, try setting Cell buffering to zero and see it if helps.

Have Fun

• 2 months later...

... what did I do wrong?

PS: There is also nothing with uGridsToLoad in the SkyrimPrefs.ini

I know that this thread is old but I answer it anyway.

This line is nowhere in the inis because the game runs at the default value (5). It must be in the Skyrim.ini only if you want to lower or enlarge it.

Edited by ladyonthemoon