Skyrim Launcher Data option Grey'd Out

maddmaxx

So first of all, I'd like to thank the OP for making this post, it ended up becoming extremely helpful to me, and 3 friends who all sat and tried to figure this problem out. MANY thanks to you, and oudric who found the solution!

Here, again, is the solutions made:

How to fix grayed out Data Files tab on Launcher:

For Windows Vista(64 bit): Go to "Documents\My Games\Skyrim" you will find two files "Skyrim.ini" and "SkyrimPrefs.ini" open "SkyrimPrefs.ini" in notepad then search for [Launcher] under it write "bEnableFileSelection=1" so it will look like this:

[Launcher] <----- This is the text you're looking for.

bEnableFileSelection=1 <-------- This is the line that isn't there until you add it there, just add it as is shown here!b]

bShowAllResolutions=1 <----- Do not touch

uLastAspectRatio=3 <------- Do not touch

[blurShaderHDR] <----- Do not touch

bDoHighDynamicRange=1 <----- Do not touch

[blurShader] <----- Do not touch

bUseBlurShader=0 <----- Do not touch

Open "File" tab

Hit "Save"

Close the window.

Open Skyrim Launcher normally.

There you have it.

Windows 7 solution is explained further behind in the thread.

PS: Problems with crashing after Bethesda logo:

It is likely a mod interference issue. My advice to you, is, as always, to reboot your system and try again.

If that doesn't solve it, try and deactivate your mods. If it fixes it, debate wether to deal with not using that mod.

*If you REALLY want the mod: Remove the mod completely. Then reboot your system. Then run Internet Explorer as Admin. Then download the mod again.

Now run Skyrim as admin, and make sure the mod is activated in Data Files(If Data Files is grayed out, see above)

That should fix it.

• 2 weeks later...

Open your skyrim directory and find skyrim preferences. delete this. After that find skyrim from the "My Games" section of your documents, find the skyrim preferences in there and then copy and paste into the skyrim directory where the old skyrim preferences was. Open it up and find where it says [launcher] and type these in:

bEnableFileSelection=1

bShowAllResolutions=1

uLastAspectRatio=2

in that exact order, i promise you that this document will not have the bEnableFileSelection=1 part. Save and close it then open skyrim launcher this should fix it. This also fixes any mod problems people might have. worked for me hope it did for you to.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I am also running Windows 7 and by Jove I think I found a solution! *I have not yet tested it though as it is 5 AM for me* There is a SkyrimPrefs.ini in both the install directory and My Documents\My Games\Skyrim. The solution I found is here: Yahoo Answers. What I did was I copied the SkyrimPrefs.ini from my install directory and pasted it in the My Documents\My Games\Skyrim directory. Allow it to be copied and replaced. Open Skyrim. Data should no longer be grayed out. If this has any unknown consequences I re-iterate that I have not tested how this may affect gameplay. Cheers and Good Night!

http://www.thenexusforums.com/public/style_emoticons/dark/thumbsup.gif

I too am running windows 7, and I can tell you you have the solution partially right, what is screwing you over is the ini file in the games folder, you need to change the launcher in that file (don't replace it) to match the one in the Skyrim folder, so they should both look like this:

[Launcher]

bEnableFileSelection=1

bShowAllResolutions=1

uLastAspectRatio=3

that should fix it.

I tried this solution on its own and it didn't work. However, I then added another one of Steam's Workshop Mods and when I retried the Skyrim launcher, I was able to access the data file button and reload my mods.

• 3 weeks later...

I am also running Windows 7 and by Jove I think I found a solution! *I have not yet tested it though as it is 5 AM for me* There is a SkyrimPrefs.ini in both the install directory and My Documents\My Games\Skyrim. The solution I found is here: Yahoo Answers. What I did was I copied the SkyrimPrefs.ini from my install directory and pasted it in the My Documents\My Games\Skyrim directory. Allow it to be copied and replaced. Open Skyrim. Data should no longer be grayed out. If this has any unknown consequences I re-iterate that I have not tested how this may affect gameplay. Cheers and Good Night!

http://www.thenexusforums.com/public/style_emoticons/dark/thumbsup.gif

If you were standing in front of me right now I'd kiss you!!! :wub:

With my new PC and Win 7 I was going nuts trying to get my mods to work again this helped me get them back up and running :thumbsup:

All you have to do is C&P the bEnableFileSelection=1 line from the Skyrimperfs.ini file from the games main folder into the Perfs file in the My Documents file don't copy the whole thing there are two lines under {launcher} that the main perf file doesn't have

Edited by Kanarus

After i put the bEnableFileSelection=1 in the documets skyrimprefs the game crashes after the bethesda logo.. When i remove it from there, the game runs normally.. And in the game folder where the other skyrimpref is the the bEnableblabla is already =1.. NMM is not working also.. Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp

• 1 month later...

I've got the same crash after adding "bEnableFileSelection=1" and checking a certain mod in data files too.

when said mod is unchecked, the game runs just fine.

i can only blame the mod. going off to try other mods to see if my theory is correct.

Yep. i tried another mod with the "data files" option in the launcher and the game ran normally.

it's all just because of a faulty mod you have on. i'd say you can try downloading your mod again.

and if that doesn't work... i'm outta ideas.

cheers.