Skyrim Ending SPOILERS

mattc220

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's true, Oblivion had a much better ending. Story-wise, yes, Skyrim lacks, sure you don't get any good armor or a weapon at the end, but at least you as the player will have some satisfaction in the though that you saved some False, Computer Generated World, and all of it's False, Computer Generated Citizens. But while were on the subject of crappy armour, why is it that the Dragon Scale armour is like the best Light Armour, while the Dragon Bone is the worst Heavy Armour, you'd think with Dragon's being these massive, deadly beasts, that their Bones would make for better armour then steel, or whatever.

Every other quest has very little effect on the world.

True, reading this made me think of the dark brotherhood questline...

You kill the emperor and no one cares. Even himself looks quite bored by the thing! "yeah kill me... whatev"

You just saved the world and everyone is like:

"Okay okay, you're the dragonborn, you defeated Alduin and all...who gives? Ever told you that time I took an arrow in the knee? Coz' THAT is an interesting story!"

The ending just left me feeling empty. Then again the Stormcloak or Imperial questlines caused me the same issues. I at least expected to be the new ruler of Skyrim after all the fetch and carry work I'd done. I thought the actual main quest was pretty good all the same but I still thought I should be regarded as a champion like in Oblivion.

The problem with Skyrim is that outside of leveling and perks, nothing you do really changes your character or affects the world around you. The Jarls get swapped around after completing the civil war quest, but frankly, the country didn't even FEEL like it was in the midst of a war to begin with.

The game is pretty much a big, beautiful sandbox that you're free to play in... But it lacks even basic character development outside of the scenes where you're talking to Parth.

Honestly, though, the game is so good otherwise that it doesn't bother me unless I really focus on it.

I think their main writing focus was the Thieves Guild, and maybe the Dark Brotherhood and Winterhold College. The voice work is also sub-par compared to previous Beth stuff, and you KNOW they certainly had the budget to do better in all respects. I still enjoy the game, can't put it down for a day, but I am not blind to what it lacks by comparison to other releases by them. I would say, taking all into consideration, that it got pushed too fast. They've already confirmed that the DLC content will be way better than what was seen with Oblivion. I can't help but think that is where the band-aids are going to appear.

"Thanks for saving Saavengrad, Dragonborn! Now go away. We have feasting to do. Oh fine, you want a reward. Here, you can summon one of our warriors. Look, I don't CARE if the Dark Brotherhood gave you a better one, Just GO AWAY! Sheesh."

"Oh suuuuure I believe saved heaven from being eaten by a dragon. Incidentally, you've been drinking with Sam Guevenne again, haven't you?"

I can't help but think we're going to see some "broken steel" dlc for Skyrim.

"Thanks for saving Saavengrad, Dragonborn! Now go away. We have feasting to do. Oh fine, you want a reward. Here, you can summon one of our warriors. Look, I don't CARE if the Dark Brotherhood gave you a better one, Just GO AWAY! Sheesh."

"Oh suuuuure I believe saved heaven from being eaten by a dragon. Incidentally, you've been drinking with Sam Guevenne again, haven't you?"

I can't help but think we're going to see some "broken steel" dlc for Skyrim.

Haha, more like "Broken Plot" dlc. I had to google a walk through just to make sure I had indeed finished the main quest line.