Disable/Decrease Frequency of Dragons

pl4t0

Dragons are awesome, there can be no doubt about that. But as the saying goes: "all good things in moderation" - dragon attacks in Skyrim are really frequent. In making them so frequent, and making dragons so squishy, I feel that it robs what are meant to be the most awesome and dramatic set pieces of a monumentally awesome game of all drama and tension. After fighting 10 dragons in one day and another 15 the next, fighting dragons is no longer awesome - it's just a slog.

We've already seen mods that make dragons tougher, but what about one that decreases the number of dragons in general? (keeping those required for the main quest and found at the "dragon nest" sites)

Dragon Age: Origins was a game that nailed its dragons perfectly - in a game that could last nearly as many hours as a Skyrim playthrough,the player could find a maximum of 4 dragons (that is, assuming I remember correctly - in any case, it was a very small, static number). Each encounter was epic, not only because the dragons themselves were the most difficult encounters the game had to offer (therefore requiring lots of preparation and tactical forethought), but because the rarity of the dragons was in line with the mythological awe that made them so awesome. It's certainly possible that this could be the case in Skyrim as well, a modder with the proper motivation need only step forward and put forth a product (I'd do it myself, but I lack the know-how. If someone could inform me just how I can accomplish it, however, I'd be more than willing to do so myself).

You might ask "but what about shouts? If I'm not getting a constant influx of dragon souls, I'm going to have a whole bunch of unpowered shouts just laying about in my Shouts menu!"

In truth, I believe this to be a good thing. When I realized just how quickly players acquired souls, I was actually kind of disappointed, because just as the fights with dragons lost their awesome luster I found the unlocking of shouts to be far more routine than they should be. By placing far greater weight on both the act of unlocking a shout and the choice of which shout to unlock, the dynamic switches from "which shout do I want to unlock next?" to "which shout do I need to unlock next?" Rarely do I find myself pondering what shout suits my particular "build", because I can more or less have them all at any given time.

Ideally, the mod would be reversible at any time and allow players to either disable random dragon encounters entirely or choose from a series of reduced frequencies.

Thoughts?

Yeah agreed.

Also will be using this mod if one gets created, those battles can just go for 30 minutes sometimes.

Well with my mage, with all the pausing to pick new spells, going from destruction to healing to conjuration. And then s*** back to healing. Dead.

Quick Load......

• 2 years later...

Apparently this mod hasn't been made yet. :( Anyone want to do this mod, please? It's the only reason I haven't started the main quest is because I am getting really really *really* sick of random dragon attacks. I already disabled the random vampire attacks from Dawnguard as I got tired of resurrecting the needed NPCs they kept killing. :(