Companions - Escaped Criminal Quest

AxlRocks

The problem is basically as the title says. I went to Vilkas and asked for work, to which he assigned this. This was my first (and only if this isn't fixed.) Escaped Criminal quest, so I didn't know how it SHOULD be, and figured things were fine until it was too late to just reload a save.

Anyway, I get a quest marker which points to Whiterun's main gate, but when I exit, it just points back to the gate again. It was late, so I quit, and the next day on reload I had no marker at all with the quest still active. I started trying to manually set the quest stage, but since the console is appearently worthless on Skyrim's quests (can't fix the stupid Leifnarr quest bug either with "setstage".), it did nothing, no matter what stage I used. I didn't save after all these attempts, but a couple days later, the quest had gone into the finished section of the menu anyway.

Is there anyway I can get this finished? Can I somehow set something with the console to get the dialogue from Vilkas as if this quest were done? I've even tried spawning the only two "escaped criminals" in the game and killing them, but that does no good because the quest actually has no target set. This is preventing me from doing any other quests for the Companions, or I wouldn't care that much.

Thanks for the help,

AxlRocks

I still haven't found a fix for this quest yet, but you can remove any quest item by:

1.) searching UESP.net for whatever item you need to rid yourself of. It will give you the ID of many of them, but they don't have every single one yet. If your item isn't on there, use method 2 below. UESP Find the item ID, let's say a Giant's Toe (which has the item ID of 0003ad64) for example, hit the ~ key in game to bring up the console, and then type: player.removeitem (Item ID) # where item ID in this case would be 0003ad64 and the # is the amount in your inventory. So player.removeitem 0003ad64 1 will remove one Giant's Toe from you.

2.) going into the console and typing player.showinventory and you'll get a list of your inventory. (Dumping all the rest of your inventory before using this will help, since only your quest items will be on the list you get back.) Use the Page Up and Page Down keys to navigate the list. The ID right listed beside each item is the one you want to use. Then type: player.removeitem 0003ad64 1 to remove one Giant's Toe.

Hope this helped! I'm terrible at tutorials imo, but I tried lol Maybe someone else will see this thread now too and know a fix for the quest itself.

AxlRocks

Edited by AxlRocks

• 2 weeks later...
I got two escaped criminal quests in a row from Vilkas, I killed the first one (was a male criminal that escaped from Riften), and the second quest is supposed to be a female criminal wandering around Whiterun. No quest marker, and no criminal to kill... sucks. Edited by WhiteDwarf

• 1 month later...

the fastest way is to use console code:

CompleteQuest CR07

Except this does not resolve the issue of not being able to obtain more quests.

So far, with all the feedback I've found on this bug, there seems to be no fix. We'll likely have to wait for a patch.