Skyrim freeze when opening the world map

haljordan

I just removed the bBloodSplatterEnabled=0 and it now works fine. I can open map and stuff back to normal again. I really dont know what happened. All the sudden it works again.http://www.thenexusforums.com/public/style_emoticons/dark/confused.gif

I tried this same solution. Once I added this line to skyrim.ini I would CTD everytime I opened map. Took out the lines and map would open for about 2 minutes before my monitors would start losing signal again. Eventually the problem would get worse. Hopefully yours stays fixed.

I've fixed the problem for myself. Not sure if it will work for others.

I found map .ini settings on an nvidia guide.

[MapMenu]

uLockedObjectMapLOD=8

uLockedTerrainLOD=8

fMapWorldMaxHeight=150000.0000

fMapWorldMinHeight=1500.0000

fMapWorldZoomSpeed=0.600

The above settings can be added to the bottom of Skyrim.ini and control map detail, as well as max zoom in and out, and zoom speed.

I simply played with the detail numbers until I found that...

uLockedTerrainLOD=7

...or lower allowed me to view the map when every other setting caused a driver crash.

Hope this helps some. This obviously lowers the graphical settings on your world map, but if it would otherwise mean a system crash, then this is the lesser of two evils.

• 1 month later...
Hi. Im still searching for a solution. I switched from HD4870 to a GTX560Ti and now i got crashes when im using the worldmap (it opens and then freeze or when im trying to close the map it goes black with sound in the background and hitting M again leads to a ctd). :-/ Any more ideas how to fix that? Zeta Zetas post didnt work for me.

• 6 months later...

Hello gang,

New Skyrim player here. I am having the issue described above, but I will briefly elaborate my specific situation:

Like everyone else that has posted in this thread, I have a problem with the world map. I should note that it is inconsistent, however. My monitor will lose its signal (though sound will continue shortly before also freezing) forcing me to restart my computer. The problem can happen when I open the map, OR when I close the map. And it does not do this all the time, I would say about 15% of the time or so. I should also note that for the first 5 or 6 hours of game play, I had NO issue whatsoever. I am not sure if I have updated video card drivers in that time unfortunately. :confused:

Brief computer specs:

Intel i3-2100

8GB RAM

HIS Radeon 6870

Thanks!

Edited by pseudochicken

• 5 years later...

I've fixed the problem for myself. Not sure if it will work for others.

I found map .ini settings on an nvidia guide.

[MapMenu]

uLockedObjectMapLOD=8

uLockedTerrainLOD=8

fMapWorldMaxHeight=150000.0000

fMapWorldMinHeight=1500.0000

fMapWorldZoomSpeed=0.600

The above settings can be added to the bottom of Skyrim.ini and control map detail, as well as max zoom in and out, and zoom speed.

I simply played with the detail numbers until I found that...

uLockedTerrainLOD=7

...or lower allowed me to view the map when every other setting caused a driver crash.

Hope this helps some. This obviously lowers the graphical settings on your world map, but if it would otherwise mean a system crash, then this is the lesser of two evils.

Just wanted to come here and say this seems to have worked for me. I will post the contents of my Skyrim.ini file below. Also, take note of your graphics card in this file and make sure it is correct. When I first opened this today, there was text saying there was a 600 series card in that part, not the GTX 970 that I actually have. So I changed that as well.

[Display]

sD3DDevice="NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970"
[Grass]
b30GrassVS=0
[Water]
bReflectLODObjects=1
bReflectLODLand=1
bReflectSky=1
bReflectLODTrees=1
[General]
sLanguage=ENGLISH
[Combat]