Removing Skyrim Mods..

OopsXP

Ok, so I installed some Skyrim mods and am not happy with them. I now want to remove them easily. I did not use Nexus Mod Manager to install them so I need some help, I do also want to re--install better mods with Nexus Mod Manager soon. My question is; is there anyway I can just delete my entire Data Folder and just add in a someone else's vanilla folder? :wallbash: Since the actual saves are in a different folder altogether, this should bring me back to Vanilla with all my current game progress. I am pretty new to all this modding stuff and all help is appreciated. I also just registered for Nexus now.

Ok, so I installed some Skyrim mods and am not happy with them. I now want to remove them easily. I did not use Nexus Mod Manager to install them so I need some help, I do also want to re--install better mods with Nexus Mod Manager soon. My question is; is there anyway I can just delete my entire Data Folder and just add in a someone else's vanilla folder? :wallbash: Since the actual saves are in a different folder altogether, this should bring me back to Vanilla with all my current game progress. I am pretty new to all this modding stuff and all help is appreciated. I also just registered for Nexus now.

Deleting the \textures\ and \meshes\ folders and any .esp plugins you added should pretty much cover reverting to a pre-modded state. If you only want to delete one mod, and leave others behind, simply delete only it's resources out of the aforementioned folders. Be warned, some mods make changes that get saved into your character's save file. It may be harmless to revert to not using said mod, or it could cause issues ranging anywhere from wonky weather to failure to load the save to save corruption. Texture replacer's are generally fine to remove, though you'll have to play it by ear once some more complex mods start rolling out. No, you cannot use someone else's \Data\ folder as uploading unmodified resources on the Nexus is not allowed.

each time i just reinstall a clean skyrim and copy across the esps then redo the data files

:facepalm:

Edited by MShoap13

• 3 years later...

I have the same issue. When I first started using mods I installed them manually because for some reason NMM wouldn't install. Then I got the mod organizer and its just chaos in my Skyrim folder and in the program. :ohdear: So I've uninstalled the entire game and am reinstalling it in hopes of resetting some of the base folders. Though there was a lot of folders added to the Data folder from other mods so its all mixed in. :facepalm: Then again the whole issue started when my computer decided to throw a b*tch fit on me and crashed because of a windows update. :pinch:

Any who, good luck broski and thanks for posting help @MShoap13 :hurr:

Actually I just found something after posting this that might help. It was in another forum on steam.

"Solution:

Delete Data folder...
Verify Game Cache
right-click on Skyrim -> Properties -> Local Files -> Verify Integrity of Game Cache
Wait for Download to finish
Enjoy Skyrim."

http://steamcommunity.com/app/72850/discussions/0/828923952092032513/

Not sure if it will work 100% but I shall be the guinea pig. Hope it helps!

Edited by Koduka