Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning

moxica

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning is an upcoming game for PC and consoles from EA.

It's to be released Feb 7, 2012 (So far)

I can't remember the guys name and I'm too tired and lazy to look it up right now, but he was the lead designer of Morrowind and Oblivion.

In a couple of statements released today by Curt Schilling, the game will not be tied to any one outlet. The plan is to release it on as many outlets as they can get- Steam, D2D..., as well as hard copies. So far there is no mentioning of needing anything running in the background in order to play it. You will be able to buy it through steam, but you won't be forced to run it in order to play.

There is also a full construction kit planned. Curt stated that he plans to allow a fully modable game because it creates a great community and years of gameplay.

If he sticks to this and makes it happen, this will be my new series!

The 20 minute gameplay/preview is excellent and has me very interested. It can be seen on Youtube.

This would be a perfect game for Nexus!!

Sorry if this has been posted or mentioned somewhere else.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm really looking forward to this, Ken Rolston was largely responsible for Morrowind so there is some real promise here. I'm glad EA are only the publisher, if they'd forced Origins on players I would have had to have bought the console version.

Hopefully Dark0ne gets interested in it. That's the main reason I posted.

Of course what ever he decides is fine with me. I just thought it could be a good time to look at an additional game since Skyrim modding is a bit in the air since steam seems to be Bethesda's preferred mod access point, now.

Ken Rolston! That's him!

I was very happy to see that he's determined to keep a strong RP element to the game.

Of course, these days, you never know what kind of game you'll get and what kind of modding features, until after release. Lol.

I've personally found more to be disappointed with, than happy about with many of the games these days.

I remain hopeful about this.

It really seems that Schilling and Rolston are concerned with the players enjoyment.

We'll see...

If it uses Origins in any way, I'd be giving this a pass even if it's the best RPG ever.

Sorry, but an extra bit of software which scans my whole computer for "market data" solely to help the parent company is a bit too much. Nevermind the questions about what it decided to do about legal software like disk imagers, DVD burning software, hex and file editors, security software, file sharing software, or other things that typically get lumped in with illegal acts.

Then there is their EULA which forfeits your right to sue EA or levy any legal dispute for any and all reason. This pretty much gives EA the sole and unlimited right to take my money and block my access to a game I paid for for any reason.

Nope... EA is not getting any more of my money. They can buy up every IP under the sun and I still won't buy anything else from them and encourage everyone else with half a mind to join the boycott. A great game is not worth losing our rights as gamers and they were the first to just cross the line. Worse than Ubisoft.

I don't thinks it's about boycotting.

He just doesn't want Origin on his pc.

I've never dealt with Origin but there is no way I would tolerate my pc being invaded.

Same thing with Securom. My encounter with that is what turned me against any type of drm that implants itself in you personal computer and runs through it and decides what programs it believes you can have.

I don't even have Skyrim because of steam, and it's not near as invasive... supposedly.

That choice isn't about a boycott. It's about me controlling what I own.

I can see his point exactly and I totally agree.

Edit. My apologies. My wife was talking as I got to the bottom of the post. It is about a boycott.

If it's origins, I join you.

The state of pc gaming and drm is intolerable!!

Personally, I'm more than ready to give up gaming, period.

Edited by moxica

I can't find anything about Origins being a requirement so fingers crossed, I make an effort to keep spyware off my system, I'm not going to knowingly install it myself. As for modding they do seem to be moving in the right direction, they've gone from "no" to "maybe" to "its our ultimate goal", so again fingers crossed.

If it uses Origins in any way, I'd be giving this a pass even if it's the best RPG ever.

Sorry, but an extra bit of software which scans my whole computer for "market data" solely to help the parent company is a bit too much. Nevermind the questions about what it decided to do about legal software like disk imagers, DVD burning software, hex and file editors, security software, file sharing software, or other things that typically get lumped in with illegal acts.

Then there is their EULA which forfeits your right to sue EA or levy any legal dispute for any and all reason. This pretty much gives EA the sole and unlimited right to take my money and block my access to a game I paid for for any reason.

Nope... EA is not getting any more of my money. They can buy up every IP under the sun and I still won't buy anything else from them and encourage everyone else with half a mind to join the boycott. A great game is not worth losing our rights as gamers and they were the first to just cross the line. Worse than Ubisoft.

The really draconian measures were removed from Origin's EULA (scanning for marketing), now it's not much worse than any other.

They still reserve the right to block access to your games, although it doesn't make sense to me: “The Origin terms of service are designed to protect against misuse of the Origin system. No Origin user who has paid entitlements and/or downloaded games will have their account cancelled or games expired due to extended non-use. The term regarding account cancellation for non-use is designed to guard against creation of non-active accounts for inappropriate reasons.”

. . . So why include the deletion of entitlements to begin with in the clause if it's only meant to apply to accounts that won't have them? Lolwut? Methinks I detect a goof.

I can't find anything about Origins being a requirement so fingers crossed, I make an effort to keep spyware off my system, I'm not going to knowingly install it myself. As for modding they do seem to be moving in the right direction, they've gone from "no" to "maybe" to "its our ultimate goal", so again fingers crossed.

I think I remember hearing that Origin may be the only digital distributor of KoA, but I can't find the source so I may be wrong (maybe I'm thinking of SW:ToR . . .).

Edited by Sebiale

They changed it from "we'll scan your drive, steal your data and sell it" to "we'll scan your drive, steal your data and use it ourselves", not much of an improvement. I won't use it until they stop scanning peoples personal files, I used Process Explorer to see if Steam scans everything like Origin, it doesn't.