Bethsoft need a new graphic engine...

zuluknob

I understand the point of this topic and video, and I like that you didn't throw in an insult to Bethesda (because lately everyone is going on about how they could do a better job :/ ) but you don't know much about engines if you think this'll be able to adapt to a serious, action based game.

Having said that, there's a wonderful list of engines on Moddb. Some of them are even open source. Maybe I'll program something...

Edited by Rennn

did you actually goto the website and look at the procedural trees? http://www.outerra.com/forum/index.php?topic=234.0

no. didn't think so.

oh right so the water did all this in unreal? http://outerra.blogspot.com/2011/02/ocean-rendering.html

nope.

I actually looked at every bit of info on that engine reason I say unreal can because I used it for 4 years back when I did level design about the same concept for movable water and they also had interactive water. Even fog was pretty good in unreal not the lod zoning fog but rather using an emitter actor to create volumetric fog that has gravity and collision. Well the fog might of not looked 100% realistic because its extremely slow moving and the variables can only go so low

Edited by Bloodinfested

did you actually goto the website and look at the procedural trees? http://www.outerra.com/forum/index.php?topic=234.0

no. didn't think so.

oh right so the water did all this in unreal? http://outerra.blogspot.com/2011/02/ocean-rendering.html

nope.

I actually looked at every bit of info on that engine reason I say unreal can because I used it for 4 years back when I did level design about the same concept for movable water and they also had interactive water. Even fog was pretty good in unreal not the lod zoning fog but rather using an emitter actor to create volumetric fog that has gravity and collision. Well the fog might of not looked 100% realistic because its extremely slow moving and the variables can only go so low

You could not do water as described in the engine... wave paths are determined by the perpendicular direction of the intersection of water plane and terrain plane which unreal had nothing to do such a concept out of the box nor in any game that used the engine to my knowledge. Pretty sure that unreal did not use trochoidal equations for its wave formation, nor to adjust the skew based on the distance from the sea floor to the water mesh. I call bologna.

Edited by RomeoJGuy

Even if you did a Eldar Scrolls game using this engine for the world and physics the same area as Skyrim/Oblvion/Morrowind it would look miles better because this can do 1cm resolution whereas they do about 1m resolution with added detail models that have parts underground where they are always have to be culled from the render pipeline. It's far more efficient to do it this way. Even now in closed beta looks it better. When they did Daggerfall lots of it was procedurally generated, but the problem with that was the limited number of building types makeing it very samey(is that a word?) Anyone who thinks you couldnt do a rpg with this as part of it's engine has no imagination and hasn't got a clue as to how many different parts Bethsofts new engine consists of. So here is how you would do it....

Take this engine add the behaviour/animation/ai stuff from havok like they have for Skyrim. Add the cloth system from havok

Create a s*** load of models for buildings, people and animals.

Manually build the large city's and build the smaller towns villages by creating an algorythim to do it for you like they did in Daggerfall.

Create another algorythim to make paths according to trade routes by resource and supply.

Yet another algorythim for clutter (which currently takes the team of artists months to do, look at the amount of stuff everywhere... an artist placed that.)

Develop the radient ai story further(just look at how it improved between oblivion and skyrim)

The engine is already being programmed to include caves so you just need to populate them with people, story and clutter with minimal tweeking by artists.

No need to waste loads of time placing trees and plants as that can be done automatically based on land type, slope and elevation like cryengine/speedtree does.

No need to add destrucatble/deformable landscape as this engine is being programmed to do that too(though i'm not sure what use that would be).

They are also adding rivers

Add the ui from scaleform like they have for skyrim or something better.

Add a kick ass main quest and loads of side quests that like now are generated by the radient ai system.

There is probably lots of stuff i have missed but you get the idea. The way some people are talking it's like they think that Skyrim is all Bethsofts creation. It's not, it includes a lot of code under licence from other companies.

Use your imagination.

Given that this engine is in beta testing atm and the next elderscrolls game wont be coming out on the x360 or ps3, it will be the next generation and that this isn't running on an fully loaded pc with 8 cores, 16gig of ram and multi gpu's. Yes it could run on the consoles. As far as the ai goes skyrim only does the ai when you can see the people so not much problem there. If you goto the websites and read what the engine is capable of so far you will soon realise that it could do a rpg no problem. Having messed about creating mods it's the graphics that slow down the game. As you can see from this video skyrim can handle loads more people on screen fighting. If you were to increase the textures by the same factor the game goes juddy as f*** even on a fully loaded pc..

What the hell do you need 16gb of RAM for if you're not a graphics designer :O

Lol, sorry, guess some people like multitasking... :)

Regardless of weather the next TES game will be on it, this engine looks awesome.

Nice to see what the next gen may hold (as oposed to what it will hold; cod with nicer physics)

Hopefully my PS4 will be able to play Killzone 3 :)

That was the one thing I didn't like when I first got my PS3 slim; none of my PS2 games worked. I still want to play Kings Field 4 Sony! :/